Eddie Murphy's Divorce Becomes Official

4/18/2006 5:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

murphyEddie Murphy's divorce from wife Nicole became official yesterday, according to court papers filed in Los Angeles Superior Court. The couple had been married since 1993.

Nicole filed for divorce back in Aug. 2005 after the couple separated in July. She cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split.

The couple has five children together, four daughters and a son, ranging in age from 3 to 15.

Murphy rose to fame in the early 1980s on 'Saturday Night Live' and in films like 'Beverly Hills Cop.' He'll next be seen starring alongside Jamie Foxx and Beyonce Knowles in 'Dreamgirls.'

Related links

Joey

HALF!

Bill Mee

I think Eddie Murphy needs to stop trying to fool himself by makinng all these babies. These women are fooling themselves too, Eddie is in love with Johnnie Gill and he is trying to hide their relationship, too late Eddie. Babbyface's wife knew what she was getting herself in to because her previous husband was rumored to be gay also. Maybe she caught Eddie wearing her underwear. All the signs were there and she knew it. I just feel sorry for all the children he father's and then leaves, I would love to be around when they grow up and give him a piece of their minds. Eddie Murphy is a baby making, transvestite loving, confused homosexual thats thinks he's fooling someone. When I thinik about all the comedy routiness he did making fun of so called " Gay people". He's another freakin hypocrite, hey: Maybe he should become a Congressman. lol

Jannette

I think Eddie's wife filing for divorce was a sign of desperation on her part. When involved in a marriage and the other person is out and about and you suspect fooling around, you want to put things back together. I suspect Eddie would not come back around after getting a taste of "being free" and went too far for too long. And being overcome and distraught his wife made the only move left to her - divorce. The victims in this situation are the family that Eddie has left behind. They will NEVER overcome this. And the truth of his infidelities lie in the alledged pregnancy that is awaiting his confirmation. It's too bad that we often look out over the landscape and believe that what's out there is better than we have at home. It never is. And when it's realized, it's usually way too late to recover. Pray for his children. That they don't grow up to be like their Dad. Destruction is all around us in the wars that take place not on the battlefield but in our homes.

professor

To all of you self righteous hypocrites....We have no idea what's going on in those people's lives other than what you read and you should know better. Nicole filed for divorce, after all those years and kids...apparently she couldn't take whatever it was anymore but don't think for one minute Eddie is not hurting over his breakup with her. People act out in different ways,his ego is probably getting the best of him (since she was the one to embarrass him by filing for divorce from the great "Eddie Murphy"). His kids will be fine because he loves them..we as black people have had our families broken up physically for a century's now, mostly by force but we have always managed to keep hope and love alive in our children.
They'll be fine and they have the money to pay for good therapists should they need them

Margaret Walker

Whatever Eddie does is his business...it is between him and God!!

Regina Lewis

I think Eddie made a bad choice...because Scary Spice is scary looking if you compare her to his ex-wife Nicole.

Bettsie

No the guy got NO class. I won't be looking at any of his crummy movies. That marriage and kids all broken up and Eddie couldn't give a s--t

Bettsie

ALL OR MOST OF HOLLYWOOD PEOPLE ARE GARBAGE. THEY CAN'T EVEN GET ONE DECENT MOVIE OUT A YEAR. GARBAGE PEOPLE

carol ard

whatever!urphy it is your life and you will pay the price!

Jackie

It is unfortunate that Eddie and his wife could no longer co-exist. However, no breakup should be attributed to one partner. Sometimes things just don't work out. I will be praying for the family. This is a trying experience for all of them. I love Eddie Murphy and his talent. Nobody that funny can be all bad. Stop bashing him.

Jac

Why does somebody (professor) always got to bring up the race thing. It has nothing to do with it. white, yellow, red, mixed, whatever, all people of any colorhave family break ups. Some keep hope and love alive for their children and some don't. It ain't what color you are on the outside, it's what's on the inside. IDIOT!!!!

ANGELA

I THINK THAT SOMETIMES PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES IN LIFE THEY DO THINGS NOT THINKING THAT IT COULD OR WOULD GET BACK TO HOME AND WHEN IT DOES IT BLOWS UP IN YOUR FACE .....BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT HE DID NOT LOVE HIS WIFE HE JUST GOT CAUGHT UP IN SOMETHING AND DID NOT THINK IT WOULD GO AS FAR AS IT DID . I WILL PRAY THAT THE KIDS ARE OK...AND THAT HE CONYINUE TO STAY IN THEIR LIVES AS WELL.AND IF GOD CAN FORGIVE THE MIUSTAKES THAT ARE MADE
THEN WHY CANT WE. AND ANOTHER THING LOOKS DONT SPELL LOVE ......ITS WHAT INSIDE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN.LET GET REAL AND KEEP IT REAL.

Doing It On My Own

Melanie you have 2 beautiful daughters, enjoy them. I wonder how Eddie will explain the DNA result? I know how it is for the father of your child to denied he is the father. Been there done that. Remember, God don't like ugly. I've been raising twins alone for over 7 years now, and we are all doing GREAT. I wish I could say that for their dad, but like I said. "God don't like ugly". You turn your back on you child, you will suffer in life at some point.