Deb to Star -- What Goes Around Comes Around

6/29/2006 2:56 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Star Jones & Debbie MatenopoulosDebbie Matenopoulos had a message for ex-friend Star Jones in an interview today, something along the lines of: Payback's a bitch.

The former "View" co-host appeared on Fox TV's "Good Day LA"  Friday morning, revealing that she and Star were extremely close, that is until Debbie got the boot in 1999.  She says that's when Star completely abandoned her.  "The thing that was most hurtful to me," said Debbie, "was that I thought that [she] was my friend, and then [she] was nowhere to be found."

As Debbie pointed out,  "It's called 'show business,' not show 'friends.'"

Debbie added that she wasn't upset about having to leave the show, saying she was told  that the show had to move "in a different direction," which is the equivalent of getting dumped and being told "It's me, not you."

Et tu, Star.

Mary Waasdorp

OK Debbie "whats you face" who cares what you think - what bush did you crawl out from under? Who are you anyway? Why would Star not quit the way she did? I would have done the same thing. I give her credit for what she did. Barbara you had better wake up. You can thank Rosie on your way out. To bad Joy and Elizabeth will have to go with you. Maybe you would like to announce your departure from The View on air before we read it in the papers that you are not wanted anymore. I don't know why Rosie would want to be on "The View" anyway with so much bad publicity about the whole thing. She must want a job real bad. The network probably thinks that all this negative publicity will bring them new viewers. I think not. You all sound like you have a screw loose.

Gay Miller

Barbara is the one who has blown this thing in the wrong direction. She is replacing a black, Christian woman who had the guts to take control of her life by losing weight, and marrying the man of her choice, with a fat, lesbian who has a big mouth and will never let anyone else have a word. Its a shame. The show was a good one. I won't watch the new "Rosie Show". She is old, tired stuff.

Nicole

I am not a star fan but I do like how she stood up for herself. I don't see how Rosie is a better fit than Star. Rosie is way louder and has more negative public attention. I see the view going down in the ratings.

Carolyn G

I've watched "The View" since it came on and I can't believe Barbara Walters is
ruining her own program with getting rid of the stars of the program and putting on someone like rosie. If barbara had wanted a man on the show she should have hired one, instead of a she-he. Joy should have been the one to go, not Star
after calling our President a liarer on the show. O Well with these two, it will not be decent to watch. 1 less fan for "The View".

deshawn watkins

I think all this is a bunch of bs.All you people need to get off stars jock shes just a black woman trying to get paid like everyone else.She did what she felt was right for her career as would anyone else.Who is debbie anyway she is so yesterday that it doesnt matter what shes saying.shes just another washed up has been trying to ride back into hollywoods spotlight on the back of one succesful black woman you go star handle your business even though i dont like you.

RedCorvette

I was a fan of the View, if I couldn't watch it I would listen to it on the radio at work. I also was a fan of Star. When Star stated she was getting married, she changed. Her wedding was always the topic, like she was the only one who ever got married. She had to advertise how big this was, how expensive that was. How perfect everything is. Yes she has the $$$ to do all that, but the average people do NOT want to hear about it ALL THE Time. I was so sick and tired of hearing her wedding plans. Her weight loss, happy that she lost the weight, don't care how she did it, but when you see pictures of her now, she looks terrible. Star is a big woman and she is trying to be a size 1. I really think she looks worst now than she did when she was heavy. I know the weight was a health issue, but now the weight loss looks MORE like a health issue. Sorry Star, but you brought things on yourself, you have made people dislike you. The View will be fine without her. Love Barbara, Joy, & Rosie, miss Mereith. The young chicky, trys to act like Kelly Rippa. In fact KELLY RIPPA would be a Great co-host.

Julie J

What a mess! Miss Jones pulls a hissy fit because she got fired . . . and she actually did get fired. ABC was not going to renew her contract. That means no job. There is no doubt the woman is a 'diva' and, in her case, that's a negative and will definitely affect her future, whatever that might be.
On the other side, it totally escapes me why Miss Walters had to do what she did. OK, she had to explain Miss Jones' absence from this day forward, but she didn't have to drag Miss Jones through the mud in the process. A simple statement about how everyone thought it best that Miss Jones leave now rather than later would have sufficed. Let the press speculate. -- which they have been doing anyway.
A vast majority of working Americans have been fired at least once in their work lifetimes, but few have the situation smeared on national television.
If Miss Jones uses her time on Larry King to further the spat, she will be the loser. She's better be secure in her life as it is now, and in her husband's ability to support her in the manner to which she has become accustomed, because I know of few executives who would be able to see beyond the spectacle we all have witnessed this past week.
I have always respected Miss Walters and thought highly of her many abilities, but now, there is a crack in that respect. She was wrong in not simply letting this situation die it's own death. She brought negative press onto herself by continuing to focus on the diva's doings.

MO

ROSIE WASN'T HIRED TO REPLACE STAR , SHE WAS HIRED TO REPLACE MEREDITH, ANYWAY THE SHOW WILL GO ON.!!!!!!!!

Lynn

Star Jones was always my hero - long before the "View". As another "Big and Beautiful" Black female Attorney, I was proud of her and the way she represented all women, especially those of us with weight issues. But I have to admit that these last few years it has been very difficult for me to remember what I admired

Her self-promotion is over the top. And her ego has gotten so big that she has the gall to try to embarrass guests that do not agree with her?! But what most bothers me is that after years of preaching, it's ok to be "Voluptuous" as long as you are taking care of your health. She then goes and 'obviously' has major surgery to lose the weight. I know from years of trying every diet and exercise fad, that her weight did not come off so quickly from 'hard work'. I am insulted, not because I am bothered that she is thin, but that she would assume that America is full of idiots that would believe that ridiculous story.

Normally I would defend her and say that the way she lost weight is no ones business except she goes on and on about how she did it and how "cute" she is now. Enough!!

At different times, all of the women of the View have irritated me. But I cannot tolerate watching Star. And it is sad the way she chose to end a 9 year relationship with ABC. This sort of thing happens all the time, people come and go, but she has now proven to all potential employers that she is so ''pompous" hat she is willing to flush her career to have the last word.

I only hope that the "View" sticks with there commitment to diversity. The are many incredible women of color, that are successful, intelligent, informed and humble that could inspire others.

Rodney

I think that you should be real. Why is Barbara faking it on one day and telling the viewers something else the next day? I think Meredith knew the deal about Barbara and was glad to jump ship and go someplace. It is not classy to not renew someone contract and the same week hire Rosie O'Donnell. Rosie has been much more controvsial than Star has ever been. I hope the View is cancelled. Being named the View you need to have more views on sensative subjects. I think the network had a great opportunity to have Rosie v Star which could have created great ratings with some hype. I wish them all success except Barbara she needs to get some of what she has dished out. I can't wait to see her face when the network says Barbara your plastic surgeries have caused too much controversy and we will not be renewing your contract-lol As for me I'm back back to watching The Price is Right! The Views days are numbered

frankie

Frankly, the whole thing is extremely obnoxious on the part of the network. Who would want to work at a job knowing that your contract was up and that you were fired. As for Rosie Odonnell, I cant imagine why the network thinks that anybody would be interested in what a fat, foulmouthed, lesbian would have to say. I mean who is her audience? I can't relate to Rosie Odonnell and I bet mainstream america cant either. The other thing is that everyone has attacked Star for not admitting that she had surgery to control her weight and have further attacked her for her obnoxious wedding which was apparently a "gift-fest" ... well, I think she was the only intelligent person of the group, and, the fact that she refused to discuss her surgery is not a reason to fire him. And, the fact that she made her wedding a media circus is not great, but, still I think she has some guts and said some meaningful things. I can't imagine what I have in common with Rosie and I think she is a miserable choice!

Dianna Johnson

Who is Ms. Walters kidding? SHE is the executive Producer of the View. She hiding behind ABC. After such a wonderful career,she has lost all credibility. Say want you want about Star....bridezilla.......she was educated and had the degrees to prove it. The View will be the Rosie Show part Two. I guess Joy will be upstaged by her. She will be the next to go. Two comedians was a poor choice. ABC better be looking for a replacement show. Good thing Merrideth bailed when opportunity knocked. I hope Elizabeth will survive. She is bright,pretty and speaks well.

dej b

They shouldn't have renewed her contract......like 2 years ago wouldn't have been too soon. SJ had become really annoying.

Connie

As soon as Meredith left the show I knew things were going to start happening. The fact that they got Rosie O'Donnell to cohost was the first bad sign. Rosie is not fit to sit on Meredith's or Star's chairs on The View!!! I do not give that show much longer. Also, Barbara was not very loyal to Star when Rosie started bad mouthing her... that should have been a clue for Star and the rest of us. GO STAR!!!

mj

Isn't the View a woman's show? So why should they make a fuss over Charlie Gibson, who isn't leaving the network, only going back to the evening news? They pulled him from that before, to GMA, to help with the ratings. Now they are reversing the job. Starr Jones left with a smile, and dignity, knowing, I'm sure, that her 'loving friends' were going to shaft her still further. They told her months ago she was through, and she kept working, with not a peep about it. Big deal, she told a few days early. They TOLD her she could announce it whenever she wanted.