Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

DEBBIE ORLANDO

TO EACH HIS OWN. WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR GOAT. WHATS RIGHT FOR ONE ISN'T NECCESSARILY RIGHT FOR THE OTHER. I'M MARRIED 22 YRS BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS BELIEVED IN FAIRYTALES & I'LL NEVER STOP!!!

Kevin Thomas

Hogwash! The only reason people don't get married is they are too selfish and/or afraid to commit. What about the kids?! I'm sure glad my parents were committed enough to marry. As a child it gave me confidence that they were in it for the long haul and that our family couldn't fall apart easily. Mom or Dad just couldn't walk away because they were formally and legally tied together. No wonder my kids are pleased with our family and doing well in school and extracurricular activities. Since their grandparents and parents are married (for real), they sense security in life and can focus their energies on becoming all they can become. If you truly love each other, then get with it. Make it formal and legal. Get the papers. It disgraces both the man and the woman when there's no real commitment. I encourage you to commit to marriage. If he loves her and she loves him, it will work out. Sure, there are always bumps in the road, but it's worth it. Got Marriage?!

Cathy

I just wonder if Oprah is scared of marriage , scared she may loose some of the money she so loves. Because in a marriage theres whats call a shared checking account . Well for those of us whom aren't "Stars". Steadman must be a glutten for punishment , if he's asked her it's apparent they don't share the same feelings on marriage.

Depp though , that is like the worst excuse I have ever heard . But, if your Johnny Depp who cares , right?

Clooney is not gay , he's just a male ho . Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?

Shannon

Who really cares if these celebs get married or not , are they not entiled to their privacy? The public in general should be more worried about our troups in Iraq, The price of Gas, the hungry here in America, The elderly, and the school systems we have in place for our children !!! This over whelming obsession with actors and actress is really quit upsetting. If you put half of your engery of star gazing into our country and who's running it and what's going on in it, we might have a future for our children and our grandchildren.

Ronnie Beasley Patrick

I think you should get married once in your lifetime. Marriage is good if you work hard to make it good. It is like anything else hard work pays off. Second time around please pray a lot. Ronnie Patrick

Janet

Number 4. I think people do get the point. I had the big wedding 250 people and 400 at the reception. I cried the next day because it was such a let down. All that money and work and I didn't feel one iota different. Declarations of love do not need to be made in the form of marriage. I've known many people throughout my life who have said they weren't married, when they were, for sex or other things. It's the commitment and loyalty to that commitment that far outweigh and ceremony. Donate the money to allow people of all faiths and sexual persuasion to be able to make said declaration if they want to. I will never get married again. I will wear an engagement ring and declare my love, but the peice of paper was too costly to get into and to get out of. I think it should cost $5,000 for a marriage licence and $500 for a divorce. I was more sure of the divorce that I was the marriage. Any way, good going for those who are confident enough in their relationship that they don't need the grand gesture costing thousands of dollars to make their commitment known.

Mary Gray

Comments like the ones Oprah and her cohorts gave are samples of the unbecoming new wave of American immoralization. Let's see, let's devalue the whole institution of marriage by saying yes to gays, even though the union of the same sex is biologically incorrect. The piece of paper also known as a marriage certificate that means nothing to a relationship shows there is no sanctity left in the institution. By golly lets just get rid of everything that stands in our way of living a life with morals and values, and allow for hedonism to to grow in our culture. Wow isn't it great to be American!!

Howard Stern, You just go after those gay listeners...another reason I will never turn on your disgusting talk show. I don't want to know about butt f------

tom

I wholeheartedly agree with the political stands of Charlize Theron and Howard Stern....I also will not get married until teachers are legally allowed to date and marry their students!!!!!.....that is my cause......lol........i also will not get married if a democrat wins the white house in 2008....or unless the dixie chicks apologize to president bush and this country....or until rosie o'donnell is finally off tv.....or when mariah carey decides to wear something that is not a plunging neckline so her boobs can be seen from 100 miles away.......those are my political stands....and i stand by them.....for a little while anyway.....lol....

mj

People always shove marriage down your throat. Girls used to be brought up on the premise that they didn't need an education because they would get married and the spouse would take care of them. Things changed. My partner and I were both burned badly by marriages, and both of us have sworn we won't get married again. My daughter chose to marry. I had no problem with that. My son says he won't. I have no problem with that, either. We have a good life together, and we both have paperwork to cover problems, ie, living wills, etc.

proud mary

I think Oprah and George are both gay.

private

I'll bet Oprah believes in signed contracts and I'll bet those signed contracts make a whole lot of difference in her business affairs! Oh, excuse me, that's right - they're just a piece of paper.

Chuck

I don't see how vowing not to marry until gays and lesbians have the right to marry accomplishes anything.

When Rosa Parks was told to sit in the back of the bus, blacks in Birmingham quit riding city buses. That hurt the city in terms of revenue and caused drivers and mechanics to be laid off.

If people are unhappy with large corporations, such as GM, Disney, or McDonald's, they can chose to boycott. Not only do they hurt the company, but they can hurt affiliates such as car dealerships, movie theaters, and suppliers.

How does boycotting marriage solve the perceived denial of rights to gays and lesbians? Marriage license fees are a drop in the bucket compared to property taxes, sales taxes, and gas taxes, so it really won't hurt counties in terms of revenue.

For all the wedding receptions that are held in hotel ballrooms, hotels still make far more money from conventions and meetings.

I don't think Christian denominations are fearing a drop-off in weddings and will join in the boycott the way they joined in the civil-rights movement in the 60s. Technically, most denominations still prefer couples living together to be married, even if more liberal denominations would possible consider same-sex marriages, if legally permitted.

Larry

I have been married four times and the reasons for the breakups of the previous marriages were al most entirely of my own doing either going into the marriage or during the marriage. In two I knew I should never have gone through with it but did anyway against my better judegment.
To say that marriage is "just a piece of paper" is like saying a sleep in relationship without marriage is "just a piece of A--", neither are true but used as an excuse to act irresponsibly and make a mockery out of the most important social instituion we know and depend on for all the rest of the social construct.
I find it more than a bit interesting that all who feel as your celebs, are liberal in their politics as well as their moral values. Theron's attitude is typically stupid.

Teri

Frankly Scarlet...

Sheri

My husband and I lived together before we got married and when we got married I didn't expect it to be any different but it definitely was. There's something about your partner standing up in front of family and friends in a religious ceremony and proclaiming their intent to love and cherish you for the rest of their life that is very overwhelming and humbling. It gives the two of you a precious bond that provides a sense of security in one another's love that is very liberating. And I believe it also makes you work harder at keeping the relationship together and the love alive.