Celebs Who Won't Get Hitched

7/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

No Marry CelebsFrom last weekend's celebrity wedding trifecta featuring the nuptials of Nicole Kidman, Marcia Cross and Patricia Arquette, it may seem like Hollywood is in a frenzy to walk down the aisle.

But for every Elizabeth Taylor and Jennifer Lopez wedding announcement there are stars that are avoiding saying their 'I Dos' like the bird flu.

Check out which celebrities have a serious case of cold feet.

OprahOprah Winfrey

Oprah and her rarely-seen main man Stedman Graham have been together for 20 years but she has no plans in sporting a Vera Wang anytime soon. Even though the talk show host doesn't see the point in marrying her partner, she insists Stedman did ask. While she may be a mentor to married housewives everywhere, Ms. Winfrey admits "A piece of paper does not define a life. I always knew that was not the answer for me." The Big O goes on to say "I do believe that had we gotten married, we would not be together today. The traditional role of marriage would not work in this relationship." And we all know if Oprah says so then it must be true!

George ClooneyGeorge Clooney

Despite winning an Oscar and being one of the "Sexiest Men Alive," George Clooney has yet to land a permanent leading lady in his life. He's been linked to nearly every starlet around the world and was once married to actress Talia Balsam, but the confirmed bachelor swears he will never wed again. Earlier this year gorgeous George told Barbara Walters "I know I'll never get married again because I wasn't very good at it." While we may not agree, the one thing we know he is good at is making women (and some men) swoon.

Charlize Theron Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron and her boyfriend, fellow actor Stuart Townsend, have been dating for nearly five years and are one of the hottest Hollywood couples around. Naturally they have the whole world wondering when they will tie the knot. Well to keep the press at bay, the couple has announced the exact date of their impending nuptials while simultaneously taking a political stand. Theron says "we will get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married (in America) - when that right is given to them." With Massachusetts being the only state so far to legalize gay marriage, sadly it seems, Charlize and Stuart will have to deal with a very long engagement.

Howard Stern Howard Stern

The King of all Media aka Howard Stern is another celeb making their bachelorhood a political issue. On May 15, Stern announced on his Sirius radio show that "I'm never getting married unless gays can get married." The shock jock says this is no joke and has declared the issue "his cause." Stern divorced his ex-wife Alison Stern, the mother for his three children, in 2001. He has since been dating his longtime girlfriend Beth Ostrosky.

Halle Berry Halle Berry

After two failed marriages to baseball player David Justice and R+B singer Eric Benet, Halle Berry has sworn off the institution for good. On an episode of "Oprah" in 2004, Berry said "I will never marry again. I mean it with every bone in my body."
The gorgeous Oscar-winner went on to say that despite not wanting to marry she does "need a partner."

So it isn't all bad news for the luckiest man in the world - Berry's boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubrey. If Gabriel is smart as he is hot, he'll prove to Halle why you should never say never.

Johnny Depp Johnny Depp

After being married once in the 80s and engaged four times to Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss, Johnny Depp finally found the woman of his dreams in Vanessa Paradis.

Together since 1998, the couple have two children together but have yet to make their relationship official. The reason - Depp says he doesn't want to ruin her last name. "It would be such a drag to stick her with Paradis-Depp. It's like a flat note." Whatever you say Johnny. We don't think it'd be too hard to find someone willing to be stuck with the title of Mrs. Depp.

To make hearts a flutter even more, Depp adds "For all intents and purposes we are married. We have two kids together and she is the woman in my life. But if she ever said: 'Hey, let's get hitched', I would do it in a second."

pat

Oprah is GAY
and as for marriage I have been married to the love of my life, for 30 years,
and we are very happy together, SO I think marriage is great IF you find your true soul mates

Brooke

Ok I have a comment for Worlds 0 Stars and the rest who say there is no point to marriage. Marriage is an institution created by God for His children. It is to mimic the love Christ has for the Church. It IS a commitment that you cannot have without that "piece of paper." I know a lot of people out there won't agree with me but that is what marriage was created for...one man and one woman (hopefully that means Charlize and Howard Stern will never get married) to declare their love for each other and that Christ is the center of their relationship.

Tee

I'm not trying to dismiss any of the comments made and I'm in no way judging anyone but just to let you guys know, marriage is more than a tradition and it is not just a piece of paper. God established marriage and if two people are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together, they should get married. From a Biblical standpoint, you have to be married in order to have sex or you will reap the consequences of spending eternal life in Hell ( that means burning forever and being torchered). So please people, understand this, I don't care if the Big "O" or Halle or whomever is reading this, if you are fornicating, you will NOT spend eternal life in Heaven which should be everyone's ultimate goal! I'm not judging because I too was a fornicator before I was drawn to Jesus and read the Bible. I still committ sins but have to ask for forgiveness and vow to try not to do it again so I'm in no way perfect! But fornicating isn't a sin in my life any longer because I am happily married and I only had 3 people at the wedding ceremony so I didn't spend a lot of money! The reception was at a restaurant and more people were there but they paid for their own meals! So it doesn't have to be expensive! Read the book of Corinthians in the Bible when you get a chance both 1 and 2. Be Blessed!!

Suzanne

I completely understand the avoiding the marriage thing. I got married for the second time last July 30th and regretting every moment of it. We have been together for 7 1/2 years and have 2 children together. This marriage has sucked from the begining. Can't wait for this relationship to be over. I will definitely not marry again, it's not worth the agony. For some reason, I just can't pick the guys that can enjoy the wonderful institution of marriage. Good luck to all the women who find or have already found that great guy that can enjoy being married. I am very happy for all happily married couples, man/woman, man/man or woman/woman.

Tee

I'm sick of people bashing marriage. It is NOT just a piece of paper!! I have no problem with anyone (celebs included) who don't want to get married, are boyfriend and girlfriend for years, BUT when you create life in this world (kids), then I have a big problem with it. Children need to know that they're loved and that commitment means something. They're not stupid, they know when their parents mean it and when they're just playing house.
To the gal who has "issues" changing her name, what's the big deal? That has little to do with being a couple at all. Don't want to? Then don't.
I know that when I met my husband, this was it and it was the time. We've been happily married for 5+ years now, have one beautiful kid, and when we said our vows, we meant them. I agree with the expensive weddings, ours cost us 5K and that's in one of the most expensive states (NJ).

Suzanne

# 13/14 is partly right. There are some things that nothing but marriage will allow you to do. For example, my partner can not get my social security if I predecease him. Also, if I lose my job or need COBRA for some other reason, he is not eligible for it if we're not married (COBRA is a federal law, and, no matter what my employer's position on the matter, it does not cover unmarried couples).

yellowrose

We have been happily married, in October 30 yrs. Not just a piece of paper. That piece of paper allows me insurance and security when and if he passes away before me. For those of you who think of it as just piece of paper and YOU have All the money in the World, think again.

Stella bezas

Marriage is a contract. It's a contract that protects the spouse and children. This contract and other like traditions bind our society.These celebrities are very wealthy. They do not need the protection of this contract, so they belittle it as a piece of paper. They choose to act irresponsibly by flaunting their opinions and lifestyle on those who do not have the means to be independent of society's rules. In addtion, their behavior and opinions are irresponsible because they have a profound effect on those people who need the protection of the marriage contract (poor single parents). Question: Would these celebrities refer to and belittle their business contracts as a piece of paper or would they make sure their contracts are ironclad?

tanya

that one about Charlize and Stuart is way funny.lol. it also may be a valid point about George. Never thought about it-it is an interesting theory.lol.

Tonia

I believe that everyone is really missing the point. Oprah in all her stupity is constantly talking about God as if she knows Him. Yet is breaking one of His laws that He mentions over and over. Fornication. If you are living with someone without the benefit of a marriage ceremony you are living in sin. I know that is not popular today, but we all know that the popular things in this world are getting more and more depraved. I sincerely pray that Charlize never gets to marry. I will fight with all I have to prevent the abomination to God from being recognized legally. Homosexuality is sin, it is just that simple. Marriage is sacred. I do not fault all those people for not marrying. If you plan to trade that person in like your last used car, why bother with the pretense of commitment.

Patricia Perri Belmonte

WHO CARES!!!!

tanya

Seriously, marriage is just something people do for a reason to party these days. I think it is sadly losing respect. It is kind of like fedelity-you will look long and hard before you will actually find someone who won't cheat if it is convenient. Vows should mean something when they are spoken. I agree you should not do it if you have a slight dout that one of you won't live to love the other.

Mark S

All of those who are not willing to put their promises in writing and sign their name, (that piece of paper) will never be a good role model to their kids. How can they explain a promise without a signature and all done in front of others or witnesses? Try buying a car with a "committment" promise.

Your level of trust in this life is directly related to your signature next to your promise. A man or women is only as good as their written word.

Tricia

The reason why you are suppose to get married is one it is saying you are committed to each other forever whereas girlfriend/boyfriend dosen't have the same committment factor and secondly you should get married and not live together unmarried its the spiritual reason the way God wanted

RainSnowIce

If George, Nick, Nina or any other family member is reading this site I need to get in touch with Tom Anderson (Nicks cousin). Please
e-mail me with his number or his daughters at RainSnowIce@aol.com

Judy M.