Mel Gibson

Busted for DUI

7/28/2006 8:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson BustedMel Gibson was arrested by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, Calif. early this morning for suspicion of DUI. Bail was set at $5,000.

He was pulled over for speeding in his 2006 Lexus as he was heading eastbound on the Pacific Coast Highway and a Breathalyzer test was administered. The arrest report lists the time of arrest as 2:36AM and the time booked as 4:06AM. Gibson was released at 9:45 a.m.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles Country Sheriff's Department told TMZ, "Mel Gibson was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was released later this morning. The investigation was still ongoing, just like it would be with any other person."

A rep for Gibson tells TMZ they are "checking into" the matter.

EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: A sheriff's official told TMZ Gibson had a blood alcohol level of .12. The legal limit in the state of California is .08.

UPDATE 9:15 p.m. Explosive new details in this case! Click here.

LaShaun

"The just man falls seven times, BUT he rises again". We are praying for you Mel!

Crappy The Penguin

Mel's blood alcohol level was .12 and California's legal level is .8
Mel wasn't a whole lot drunk and cannot use this as an excuse for the content of his tirade.
One cannot be judicious about one's racism.; you can't turn it off and on like a tap.
Racism is either there or it isn't; and Mel's got it in spades.
All I can say is: APOCALYPTPO!!!!!

Steve Cranston

Forget Mel for a minuet:

How about we use the tax placed on liquor, gas, auto sales, license & registration, to install breathalyzers in every bar, cab, & tow truck in the country, then when someone self identifies by blowing over the legal limit, they become entitled to have their car towed & get a ride home for FREE (fees and fairs picked up using our tax dollars, intended to keep us safe).

178,000 people arrested for DUI in the state of CA in 2004 (3x the average of any other state per capita) at an average cost (fines, lost work/time, insurance surcharges, lawyers, etc...) of about $15,000 each is nearly $3,000,000,000 in total! I'm certain voters would not mind if some of the billions of tax dollars we are charged every year go towards getting us home safely, rather than reactively costing us billions more after the fact. Prevention is the best medicine.

COM’ on, we'd be better of providing these type of services which likely do more to promote responsible drinking and road safety than any "gotcha cop" or jail cell ever will...and likely cost tax payers less than the beat them down and lock them up "DUI industry" we've allowed our legislators (most of whom are lawyers) create.

Cheers

Crappy The Penguin

Oops----that should read, "APOCALYPTO!!!"

(See what a .12 blood alcohol level will do for you...??)

Sue

For Pete's sake. The guy was blotto and said and did some really regrettable things. He appears to be genuinely sorry for his actions and plans on doing his best to make things right. I'll bet the most judgemental, critical comments are coming from people who have had more than a few incidents in their own lives that they wouldn't want shared with the world. Get over it everyone. He made a big mistake, he's apologized, and plans to make amends. Let's all give him a chance.

katt

I think Mel is still a wonderful actor, and shame on you people who think that these actors are not human, we all make mistakes and say things we regret! That is life, and I do not believe for one moment that Mel Gibson career will suffer for a mistake as he is and always will be a fantastic actor and director. I do not agree with drinking and driving, and thankfully noone was hurt! We still love you Mel!From Canada with Love!!!

annie ama

leave Mel alone....no one is perfect..give him a break....he not the only actor in hollywood that have a drinking problem....so who care if he drunk..
now the jews in hollywood don't want to make the movie with him.. and they are try to make a big deal out of it....

A.Y. Grant

TO ALL YOU UNSOPHISTICATED AND UNEDUCATED POSTERS : Your use of filthy language simply nullifies your opinion. Go back to school and learn to express yourself in a cogent , intelligent and mature manner.

marnie martell

My opinion is that Alcoholics, Never think their driving will be impaired !
alcohol gives them a sense of power, hence his stupid remarks, like" I own Malibu, !!" along with anti semite statements
he might be overly upset over the recent bombing's and watching so much on TV, can effect judgement,
alcohol loosens the tongue and very nice people become monsters and they are their own worst enemy.
he is in deep remorse and we should forgive him 11

by Dee

I find it rather interesting that the same people who want to crucify Gibson for being “anti-Semitic,” yet crucifying America standing with Israel. Go figure. As someone else mentioned before...there is a war going on in the middle east...could it be that Mel was simply upset about the war...that should not imply anti-semitism. So, even if alcohol is a "truth serum" of sorts, his words cannot be conclusively interpreted as being anti-semitic...lots of people are pissed about the battles in the middle east. Are they all anti-semites, then?

If it had been anyone else but Mel, because of the unrest his movie the Passion invoked, nobody would be saying anything about this. And if Mel had never done this movie nobody would be picking on him about his words. Frankly, there is just a whole lot of paranoia running amuck. Too much fear-mongering...give it a rest.

Yes, Mel should get penalties with the law for DUI. But that's all. Yes, he COULD HAVE killed someone driving drunk....BUT HE DIDN'T, DID HE?

Don't you hate mongers have a life to live with better things to do, than trash high profile people for being like the rest of us unknowns?

jENNIFER

I THINK THAT IF HE WAS ARRESTED THAT IS HIS PROBLEM AND WHY THE HELL DID THEY GO 1 MINUTE LATER AND PUT IT ALL OVER THE NEWS. WHO CARES. ITS NOBODYS BUISNESS. I THINK HE IS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. ALOT OF PEOPLE GET ARRESTED FOR DUI'S BUT YOU DONT SEE THAT ON THE NEWS???? LEAVE HIM ALONE AND ALL YOU OTHER PEOPLE STOP SAYING THAT STUFF ABOUT JEWS.....

ME

Jerry Blair

Whenever Mel comes to trial (and fat chance of being found guilty), assuming that it happens a $$ fine doesn't mean anything to him. My daughter suggested community service, I thought of Mel cleaning out the restrooms of the Jewish Community Center for 60 days, but my daughter feels that mowing the lawn at the JCC would be sufficient penance.

Agamemnon

An upcoming line from Mel's next script, "LethalBigot", scene 666:

"They screw you during roadside sobriety checks!"

Jay

1187. I will tell you why this matters so much to the Mainstream Media and to Hollywood, because Mel Gibson made "The Passion of the Christ", which the jews hated and they have been after Gibson ever since. This incident, real or set-up,, but the Jews need to just shut up and trying to make everyone feel sorry for them. I respect Mel Gibson more than I do them.
Posted at 1:27PM on Aug 2nd 2006 by BSD

Oh yeah, The Jews Held the poor NAZI Bastard down and poured Booze into him . Then we called the cops !
Must be another Zionist plot !

I don't want one of you to feel sorry for any of us Kikes, WE can and are taking care of ourselves. We don't hide behind women and kids. .NAZI Mel will Pay the Price for this and it will be HUGE.
Hope I run into NAZI Mel in Malibu . I'll have a few things to say .

I'm no Flaming Left Wing LIberal. I"m a Conservative Republican

BTW all of you Christian that hate us., you Prey to a JEW everyday. He's Called Jesus.The Biggest Kike Celebrity of all times !
Suck on that , You Bigot Racists gutless PIGS !

We JEWS own and run Malibu. FACT !
IN YOR FACE !

Nikki Vega

Mel Gibson is human, just like the rest of us.
I would be mortified if the media had gotten ahold of some of the things I've done in a drunken state. "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me." Stay strong Mel! I'm praying for you . "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world." Jesus loves you Mel. This too shall pass.

Previous 15 Comments | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments