Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

a 14 year old kid

this is just more proof that people can do something wrong, say horrible things about innocent people, to innocent people, and then when someone else besides themselves does it, it suddenly turns out that its not ok. its incredible that people can go about their daily lives, do the same things as famous people, and then when these celebrities do something unsavory, its a huge deal. celebrities are just like everyone else, i'm not saying that what Gibson said was acceptable, i'm just saying that there are scores of people who say those things while sober and openly parade around saying terrible things about certain groups of people. May-day, its a facist, nazi celebration and it happens every single year...but people dont make such a huge deal on how its wrong and its hateful and so on, but yet when one person who's done a little better in life than the rest of us says the same things, based on the same concepts, its a big ugly deal. THOUSANDS of people openly celebrate May-day, and no one so much as whispers about it being wrong. But we all also have to remember, just because what you think is right, doesnt make it right. Just because you disagree with another persons view on a subject, does NOT make it the right point of view. That is what this country was founded on, FREEDOM. Freedom of almost everything! so to ostrasize Gibson for saying certain things while intoxicated goes against everything most people have been taught. If Gibson had been drunk in germany on May-day, and said GOOD things about the Jewish community, he would have recieved way more than a DUI and critisim by the public. Odds are that he would most likely have been severely attacked, or even killed for voicing pro-Jewish opinions. But this is not the case, what Gibson said about the Jewish religion was degrating and foul, and however much so, he should not be chastized for it, but neither should he be praised for it. He is paying for exersising his right of free speach, and it ts THAT which is wrong. I've never had an opinion about Mel Gibson, i dont judge people by what the media projects about them. The fact is this: Mel Gibson is a normal person like you and me, he does the same things, makes the same mistakes as everyone else, and he shouldnt be critisized for it, he is simply being human, he is not perfect, we are not perfect, and we should not look down our noses at him because of what he said in an intoxicated state.

D. Otter

Let Thee who has NOT sinned cast the first stone.

Art P.

TMZ contacted Rabbi Baron, who is vacationing in Spain. He said: "Some members of the congregation were skeptical about Mr. Gibson's recent statement and felt he was absolute anti-Semite. My response was 'Better a repentant anti-Semite than an unrepentant anti-Semite.'"

"I wish I could go see the pope when I fault."
"I'm sure that would make it all better."

Likely story Mel.

Likely story Jewish Community.

dixon

I really do not understand why americans likes making so much news about nothing mel gibson is a normal human being and this act if it is true has nothing to do with hate or anti semitic.

Art P.

In a year let's see where you are.

You should be on probation for one year buddy.

One year.

You should not be allowed to operate a vehicle for 90 days.

You should attend meetings regularly like U.S. citizens do.

You should see a probation officer every month for a year.

This is how it is for normal people.

Are you a normal person Mel?

This is how it works.

Play the game Mel. We all gotta do it, or are you too proud, too modest?

kiss em all Mel. Suck the wind Mel.

Welcome to America you Austrailian.

Welcome to the states at last.

There are no kangaroos here.

Be a Bill Gates Mel and put your money down for the cause.

You got plenty of movie cash.

Smile and mean it.

No hollywood smile. No disguises.

Sincere Mel. Sincere.

Art P.

TMZ contacted Rabbi Baron, who is vacationing in Spain. He

said: "Some members of the congregation were skeptical about Mr. Gibson's

recent statement and felt he was absolute anti-Semite. My response was

'Better a repentant anti-Semite than an unrepentant anti-Semite.'"

"I wish I could go see the pope when I fault."

"I'm sure that would make it all better."

Likely story Mel. Likely story Jewish Community.

Ali

Why is it when anyone makes disparaging remarks about Jews, his career is pretty much over.
Make the same comments about any other religious group, and no one will think anything of it.

Joan

I think MEL GIBSON is GREAT. He made a mistake and the JEWS are loving this as a way to get rid of him, but too many people love Mel. He is a GREAT producer, actor and director.

I do not think we will ever know the TRUTH about what REALLY happened. The JEWS probaby set him up. We true AMERICANS will ALWAYS love MEL!

I think the internet has gotten CRAZY with this because it is MEL GIBSON and I notice that it is mostly JEWS that are screaming "BIGOT" "ANTISEMITIC" Etc.. The JEWS play THE CARD worse than BLACKS.

There are plenty of JEWS that get DUIs in Hollywood and make remarks about habout how GREAT they are. MEL did tell the truth about the JEWS being responsible for "All of the wars in the world". Just look at how the JEWS are murdering KIDS in LEBADON right now???? The war in Iraq is the fault of the JEWS!

Notice how the callers on the radio station here that HATE Mel are JEWS??? or at least the ones that are saying all the bad thinkg about him. You can tell by their accents.

He said he was sorry for his comments, but that will never be good enough for THE JEWS!

Tom Byrne

I think everyone that posted these comments should stand back and take a look at their own lives! Mel Gibson is just a person like you and me! Do you people have nothing better to do than sit and think how bad someone else is! WAKE UP AND ENTER THE WORLD OF THE LIVING! YOUR NOT PERFECT - I'M NOT PERFECT - NEITHER IS MEL GIBSON! Stop criticising and go and actually DO something more positive with your time!!!

sue

Give me a break. First I would like to say that alcoholism is a disease. I am glad we have so many self rightous people in the world. Is this being made a big thing because it is Mel Gibson. He didn'thurt anyone but himself. He has enough to deal with. What he did were words while drunk prpobably he has no recolection till told. Why what he says is not ok and other people in this country can say what ever they want and no does anything for example Kenya West said George Bush hates black people not true. What happened to him nothing actually black leaders agreed with him with absolutaly no evidence of truth. Or when President Client soiled my White House. Oh they all did it before him and he just a man but a good president. My point if you are going to hold Mel Gibson accountable and ruin his life over this then all people no matter what should be ruined too.

Laura

The guy was drunk,how many of us have done or said stuff we are not proud of when drinking?He's Mel Gibson and people just want to knock him down,especially since the passion of christ.After seeing the reactions,it's no wonder he relapsed to begin with.If it was Pammy,would ya all be this hot under the collar?I don't think so.He's human,he made a mistake.Look at all the other addicts in hollywood who we make famous because of their addictions.Why set mels standards higher than the rest?He apologized and he feels bad,how much of his blood do you want?

Jess

Not excusing what Mr Gibson said or did not say or what he did or did not do, lets remember .... a person under the influence of drink will say/do what they normally would not say or do. Shame on you Mr. Gibson for being " human ". Another Hollywood movie in the making is my bet, after reading the " report " ... which took a while < perhaps the officer that wrote it should practice better penmanship > Mr. Gibson .... my opinion ... lay off the booze, you are nuts enough as it is .... drink ovalteen. :)~

Syed Ejaz Ul Haque

IS AMERICAN’S FEEL LIBERTY IN THEIR COUNTRY

After reading this news that Mr. Mel Gibson’s express his thought against Jews immediate his word caught.
Several people talking several times against ISLAM & Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that time so called modern technology and educated nations called every one have freedom to say any thing we cannot stop….but why now….even if Mr. Mel told facts “ yes!!! The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world “and now in Lebanon, what he have in his mind he told the truth.
Same lobby that time told that Muslim are conservative mind and extremist. I just asked to JEWS why this time you are showing extremist behaviour.

Yes Mel, you are crazy I can't believe you would even act the way you did. If you were drunk you should still know you have no self-determination to tell any thing against JEW. I confident you get punished.???? Yes Mel….Because you are not a JEW this is a big cost which you have to paid even you live in your own country.

I feel sorry for his children and wife knowing that their father/husband told the only truth but a slave person do not have right to tell any thing against his lord (JEWS).

Jewish person and Jewish communities can’t change the fact from the history that “the execution of Jesus done by the Jews” how CHRIST not tell inflammatory comments about Jews this is natural thought and Jewish should be disgrace every where.

You wrote for a religious man, you should be ashamed but you people are never feel ashamed for a while to inflammatory comments against ISLAM & their Prophets.

LOS ANGELES - Hollywood star Mel Gibson received a third Jewish group's invitation to meet with them following his apology for making anti-Semitic remarks during his suspected drunken driving arrest last week

Now why react as fundamentalist, self-absorbed, narrow minded, Jewish nation on earth. Every on have freedom to tell any thing media and person have right to tell any thing.

By - Syed Ejaz Ul Haque

S.F. from Germany

There you see what religion can do to people. I am a convinced atheist. People can have what religion they want, as long as they don't take it as an excuse for bad behaviour, and as long as they tolerate anything beside them. Unfortunately this is not the case with most religious people. And especially those who call themselves "good christians" are generally the most narrow minded persons I have ever met.
You all write about forgiveness. Would you still be able to forgive if he had killed your little kid, driving drunk? He is an actor, a person who ist constantly watched by all the world, who has to behave like a role-model. Millions of people want to be like him. He should be aware of his position and behave accordingly. He can drink as much as he wants, but if he does he has to call a f**ing taxi and not drive by himself.
Of course everybody makes mistakes in life, but there are different sorts of mistakes, and only very few can cost other people's lives.
Sorry, but the US seem to treat drunk driving very generously. Here in Germany this is much stricter. Drive drunk and your license is gone for at least 3 months. Driving drunk starts with 0,5 tenth of a percent alcohol in your blood.

If you're a popular person you should care more for what you do. And as Gibson knows he's got an alcohol problem (and I don't condemn him for that!), he should have taken even more care about what he does.

Teri

Right on number 15. I think Mel has done great things in Hollywood. We need to look at his work and not his personal life. I had a father-in-law that was a bank president, however, every night he would come home and drink himself into a stuper and say vile things to his family. The next day he would go to work and do a great job and no one at the bank knew he had a problem as it didn't interfere with his work. People in Hollywood are in the public eye when they are working or when they are not. There is no privacy. Would people have done business with the "drunken bank president" that was my father-in law if they knew his problem?
Who knows? Maybe not. My point is....Mel is great at his job. Maybe he has a problem in his personal life, but that doesn't have to be detrimental to his work.
If he is seeking help, more power to him. I am still a fan.