Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

Frank Henry

Hasn't anyone making comments done things they are ashamed of and regret in their life. We are all human beings which make us subject to making mistakes. We have topics such as global warming, entire nations subject to disease and poverty, 49,000,000 people without health insurance in the Unitied States to name a few. Why should we waste are time on one individual who has proven that he is human and not the individual we have set on a pedestal because of the entertainment and educational historical films he has provided to us. I am sure Mr. Gibson has done many good things during his life regardless of his comments while intoxicated. If he were not in the public eye this would be just be one DUI arrest of tens of thousands DUI arrests made in this crountry every year. We should be concentrating our efforts on major issues of the world not a individuals actions. If you don't want to see anymore of Mr. Gibson' s films that is your choice. I am looking forward to the next one.

ANN

mel Gibson is overwhelmed with all the attacks about going against the Hollywood movers and shakers and made "PASSION".A blind man saw the subtle way he was treated or ignored for the beautiful work that the foxes would be tracking him and make him a mark man. Well, what he feared has come and knocked him down but he will be greater for being a man and cleansing his heart and mind of all the hatred and uglinesss that has ocurred in Hollywood. His comments should have been protected once he was arrested and in custody.This police Mee was he Jewish and getting a provoking response to retire or was it just a good job. i am sure being intoxicated,words was said to Mel Gibson and we will not here them but we small imperfect minds will cry out for justice and not pay to see his movies. The man has money and his movies are guranteeed before you see the movie,so start understanding the business sense of the matter. I was involved in an auto DUI/hit and run in west covina,calif. and the DA Richard Burns rejected the case because the man that hit in run was over the limit 21/2 times the legal limit and was an attorney that was the pillar of the community.I am still on medication and fixed income and loss my social life and repairs of home/car.Mr. Gibson did not destroy a person life or their in come but I had 5 or 6 Jewish lawyers that kept the DUI defendant from paying my personal or medical bills. I had to file with victim assistance to pay medical bills only and that was because I did not have the financial means to pay another attorney .I stay in chroonic pain and MADD only gets involved when you are dead and I don't know or seen dead people enjoy money or live in a nice home..It was a lot of pressure on Mel gibson after making "Passion" and as Christians we should all pray for a full recovery of his mental and alcohol etc abuse.Please real circle of friends support him and not stray away afraid of being blackball in Hollywood.The anti-semitic remarks are said by many but not recorded at your parties and private settings. Lets not be so shocked about words but things that are destroying our country and children.Blacks have heard words and been at back doors and poor whites have been called names but when you know who you are you keep moving or dancing to reach your goal and teach others fto just love and care for mankind.Only we as individuals can stamp out hatred and bad words when we have the tools to express our displeasure whether we are drunk or had a bad day. i worked in a surgery department and one of the anesthesiology made a statement that he was told by his parents blacks were not smart and this man said he was a christian and put many minorities to sleep with a smile and yes he use the N word and we went to Administration to resolve his statements and I knew it was my oppportunity to teach him what he already knew I was smart and yes parents say things because they have heard and repeat hearsay without facts and it becomes a boil and destroy some people by name calling.Lets wish Mel a speedy recovery and the money he buy alcohol he will help people in need.Bless!!!

Shayne

Mr.Gibson said the truth about the Jews. And what now? look, they are out of their skin in saying bad about him and even trying to demolish his career.

They really started all last wars: Lebanon, Iraq, Afganistan. Even WW2! (Because Hitler was also Jew. The Jews as i underrstand devides into 2 parts: thouse who love them and those who hate them. Hitler hated.

And if you say bad word about any nation - it's ok. but just ry to say something bad about Jews - immediatelly you'll became the enemy #1 and the anti semit!
The same in Russian - they say a lot of bad about russians, but try to say anythiong bad about jews that holds most of russian money - and you became the same evil!

The such kind of behavier that is demonstraited by jews just showes that they hate others and think tyhey are the best.
It will work in other way - people are clever, they understand it - it it will move aside people from jews!

they will be the reason in it and they are.

Antonio's Pizza

Antonio's Pizza & Italian Restaurant
724 South Federal Highway
Dania Beach, FL 33004

Unser

Ha-ha-ha...Isn't that sooo obvious? Everybody already almost forget about WHY THE GUY WAS ACTUALLY STOPPED....But what he said about fking jews. It sounds already like Gibson was operating the "gas-chamber" or they found his old SS uniform somewhere:))))) Shut the FU already! Check what jews doing in the Middle East. Killing children? That's not anti-semitic? Guess not. It's very kosher:))))

Mary

The whole point is being missed by some....he was DRUNK. He is an ALCOHOLIC. As such, he likely was spewing nonsense in these comments. Yes, they were awful things to say but I have heard people say far stranger things (that were no reflection of their true feelings or character) when they were drunk. No excuse, but let's be real, we have all said a few things we are ashamed of. The difference is, it's not on the news.

Charlie

Hmmm....I think it's just a conspiracy to ruin Mel.

If what is said is true, we need to forgive...after all what would Jesus do?

Frank

ATTENTION ART P.

You seriously have too much time on your hands. Aside from being immature, profane, inarticulate and downright uninformed, you display high levels of anger. Don't get discouraged though! there are many services available that will be able to not only address your current condition but, possibly modify it to some point of acceptance.

Some suggestions include: Anger Management courses, Group or Individual therapy, possibly Medication/s.
But for God's sake, Stay off the computer at the Free Library!

Julie Jones

Hasn't anyone out there been drunk and out of control before? Maybe done or said stupid things? I believe that Mel Gibson has a problem and needs compassion. Why is everyone so quick to judge and criticize? Is this what
religion is all about?
If the tables were turned and a Jew behaved in this manner, would the Jewish
community be as outraged? I bet it would not get as much press and they would forgive.
Let's not be so full of hate, and realize Mel was drunk and he is now getting help.
It shouldn't be front page news. It happens all the time and we deal with it.
Mel, I love you more than ever, god bless you!

stephanie C

I find the public more interesting then Mel.
Peoples thoughts on unkind words, rudness to the police, & saddest of all a drunk in a fast moving car...
I really wonder what the public is all about...
If it was Mel, or Bob, or Betty Sue, it is dead wrong to drink & drive.
If 100 people do what he has done it is dead wrong {numbers do not make it right}.
It is not unforgiving to say it is dead wrong {it is simply a fact}.
To drink and drive takes no high IQ to see it is DEAD wrong!
It only show a lack of understanding & feeling to somehow try & make it right, and make your own past actions right if you have done so.
Look at someone else & say I was dead wrong & will never do this again. Do not say forgive Mel or myself for a action that often changes so many lifes forever!
2 wrongs or 100 wrongs do NOT make a right.
MADD

Jon

Antonio's Pizza & Italian Restaurant
724 South Federal Highway
Dania Beach, FL 33004

Is a mob shop. Who knows where they get their pizza?

stephanie C

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!

5356. There you see what religion can do to people. I am a convinced atheist. People can have what religion they want, as long as they don't take it as an excuse for bad behaviour, and as long as they tolerate anything beside them. Unfortunately this is not the case with most religious people. And especially those who call themselves "good christians" are generally the most narrow minded persons I have ever met.
You all write about forgiveness. Would you still be able to forgive if he had killed your little kid, driving drunk? He is an actor, a person who ist constantly watched by all the world, who has to behave like a role-model. Millions of people want to be like him. He should be aware of his position and behave accordingly. He can drink as much as he wants, but if he does he has to call a f**ing taxi and not drive by himself.
Of course everybody makes mistakes in life, but there are different sorts of mistakes, and only very few can cost other people's lives.
Sorry, but the US seem to treat drunk driving very generously. Here in Germany this is much stricter. Drive drunk and your license is gone for at least 3 months. Driving drunk starts with 0,5 tenth of a percent alcohol in your blood.

If you're a popular person you should care more for what you do. And as Gibson knows he's got an alcohol problem (and I don't condemn him for that!), he should have taken even more care about what he does.

Posted at 6:34AM on Aug 4th 2006 by S.F. from Germany

Paris Leon

YOU DAMNED FOOLS!!! Have none of you ever been drunk before. Don't you people know that while under the influence one may be easilly proned to say things they would not have otherwise said. Don't you people realize that Gibson has a history of alcoholism! What everybody should be conccerned witht are not the circumstances of his arrest but the fact that he readilly admitted his wrongdoing, apologized, and has taken concrete steps to permanently sober up. Go ahead and label him a bigot, anti-semite or whatever you want, and then take that same attitude of blind condemnation towards the dispossessed and sickly and try to solve the crisis in the Middle East and the cycle of hatred continues... Gibson isn't the problem here, you guys are!!!

Denise

This is to all the people who suggest that this story about what mel Gibson said and did is fabricated:
Mel Gibson has publicly admitted what he said and has since apologized for his anti-semitic remarks.

So, now-there is no doubt that the reports are credible and not fabricated.

"Sorry" just doesn't cut it. Mel has to prove that he is sorry. A bigot doesn't change overnight. These things take time.

Hutton Gibson is a long time and well documented anti-semite. No doubt, he has passed his belief system onto his son, mel. Sadly, Mel may have passed these hateful beliefs onto his children and share them with his wife- so now, their reputation may also be in question.

No matter one's religeon, it's in best interest of Humanity to be loving and accepting of others-or at least tolerant.

That's what all the fighting and wars are about.

Jewish, Catholic, Anglican, black, white, Islamic, tall, short, blonde, brunette, mentally challenged, pretty, ugly, right wing, left wing, rich, poor, gay, straight...--we are all unique and it's really important to accept that uniqueness and be loving if we want to get along.

Love makes the world go around.

Lisa

I think everyone deserves a second chance when mistake are made. I personally abhor the comments that Mel said or didn't say, but I will give him a chance to get his act together and make a more positive change in his life before I commend him. This man has never been seen doing offensive things before nor has he made bad comments before, so now lets give him a chance to make a mends for his actions and comments. If he doesn't, then will be the time to make your stance against him.