Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

Katie G

Leave the poor guy alone already!! Doesn't anyone have anything else better to focus on...like wars, killings, the state of our economy, the desperate situation our schools are in?

For 'your God's sake'...he's human. Now go about your own business.

Kathie Ropele

I agree with FRANK about Art P. This person is seriously angry
Art, you do need some help. It looks like you spent the best part of yesterday injecting your thoughts or"rantings" onto this site. Why is the site not monitoring the material that is being put on here?

historybuff

Give the guy a break. Anyhow, aren't we supposed to forgive people for their sins? Moreover, can't we separate the art from the individual? If he directs a good film, I will have no problem going to see it.

Kathie Ropele

I am visiting your country, which incidentally is beautiful. I wish that I live here permanently. I was born Jewish, but I change Christian many years ago.
Mel Gibson is only human. His account of what happen to Christ in his film Passion of the Christ was accurate according to Bible and Gospel. He was being true to his art by making a film based on fact, and by not altering fact to accommodate protection of feelings of the Jewish people. Americans have been very good to the Israeli people both here and in Israel. Israeli people have always struggled and this is very sad. They are good people and do not deserve the anguish that they have always faced. As for what is currently happening in Middle East the Lebanese are also good people. I hate see what happen there now. America went in to free Iraq, and give them democracy, but look at what they are doing today. They are protesting in thousands on the streets, saying "Death to America and Death to Israel" Some cultures are so entrenched in a tradition and a religion that they just do not want democracy, at least not as you Americans interpret it. Perhaps it is time for you good, well meaning Americans to leave Iraq to their own means and let them get on with it.
Bring your good soldiers back home to their families. Bring them home from Afghanistan. Leave a task force in both countries to monitor, but bring your people home and strengthen your forces here again. I think it very prudent of the USA to still maintain vigilance over the Middle East and keep very watchful eyes on Syria and Iran and the possible development of nuclear weapons. This of course would be disaster for Middle East and world.
Again I love your country. Freedoms, freedom of speech, freedom of THOUGHTS. Most Americans probably do not realise just how lucky that they are to live in the greatest country, by far, in the whole world. I have travelled to many places, including England and canada and most of Middle East and even some part of Asia. America is the greatest, by far. I pray to God that I may come here one day permanently. God Bless.

observer

Classic example of human imperfection.
Our world mixed with good and evil will never work. Only pure good will last and that comes only from Our Heavenly Father through Jesus. Nobody will be perfect even me even unto death.
But the promise is in the next life, a life with no pain and sorrow. If you believe.

Dennis

I think Mel Gibson is a regular person that made a stupid mistake, have any of the other people on this site ever been so drunk they black out or regret doing something when they were drunk? I have, and for all the Bible thumpers that are blasting the man Jesus was the most forgiving person and would be the first one to forgive Mel Gibson for his remarks and you for condeming him.

Kathie Ropele

To Denise Le France:
You are professing in one breath to be a lover of people and all religions, stating that it is love that makes the world go around. In another breath you say Mel Gibson has "confessed" as you put it and he has said that he is sorry for his comments, then you say that he HAS TO PROVE that he is sorry. Come on for Heaven's sake what more do you want him to do? So love makes the world go around does it? Try giving some then, and try emanating some forgiveness, and quit this persecution of a man who is already troubled, and who needs help with his addiction. I think you just like to hear yourself speak.

Kathie Ropele

ATTENTION ITAY FROM ISRAEL:
It is highly doubtful that people in Israel, at this time, are concerned about Mel Gibson's derogatory remarks to a Jewish policeman, whilst under the influence of alcohol. Come on ITAY, if you are truly in Israel with rockets flying over your head both day and night, do you really expect us to believe that this is really relevant?

Paris Leon's Gay Lover

So anyways Paris Leon, if I may call you that, your remarks are alright, although I disagree with one thing, see I believe he is a bigot and anti Semite, not only because of what he said, and because of his history, and his upbringing in a pure right wing church and his father being a bigot himself who said the holocaust was a fantasy, but also because quite simply, THE TRUTH COMES OUT WHEN YOUR DRUNK. The only thing I will like about what Gibson said is not his bullsh*t apology. An apology means nothing if all its backed up with is mere words, but IF he carries out his word that he will meet with Jewish leaders one on one. Then I will respect the bigot that he is, cuz he stepped up to the plate!

Tom Cabral

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. Yeah Mel messed up and yeah his statements were inflammatory and totally improper, but let us remember that just because you are connected to something doesn't maske you a Christian and two, Christians still do sin, and unfortunately in outrageous ways. I won't be the judge of whether he is or isn't. At least he had the humility to apologize and is willing to reconcile with those he offended. Don't you think that if American society and the elites had the guts to say they were wrong when they messed up, we would be much closer to bringing this nation closer to the ideals of the 1st half of the 20th century when America knew the difference between right and wrong, and the problems in society were minimal in comparison to today. We might all learn a lesson from the Bible and take the log out of our eye before we condemn another man!

Sheryl Senft

Mel Gibson is a human being, which means he's not perfect. You can't take seriously what someone says when they are drunk. Geez.....give him a break. He's done a whole lot more good for people than bad. MEL GIBSON, YOU'RE AN AWESOME ACTOR AND DIRECTOR.

John

"1. Ever seen the South Park episode making fun of Passion of the Christ? Very funny!"

who ever wrote that: You are an inconsiderate prick. I am not condoning Mel Gibson's actions portrayed on Saturday night, but what you have written is highly offensive and disgusting - have you no self pride? You're a disgrace to all humanity.

marge follansbee

I have read a lot of these, and I am very HAPPY that all people are not rotten AH, and ART P. I think you have about 20 complaints in this thing about Mel, its hateful people like you that start wars, you must not have any religious training at all, FORGIVE, many stars have been caught drunk driving, but the cops keep their face shut, but arest them for the dui, talking sh*t is not against the law,. Mel is a star, he has had many years of being pamperd, and many people kissing his butt, and stars get spoiled that way, and God knows what the cop said to him..I have seen sometimes what power struck cops have said to people, you want a good example, watch cops, watch how they talk to people and smash their faces into the ground and step on their backs and twist their arms almost off their bodys...Granted some of the people deserve it, BUT NOT ALL of them...No I know why this world is going to hell in a hand basket, its people like you ART. P. people who do not forgive..Mel should be fined for Drunk driving, but should not be crucifyed for FREE SPEECH.....And Barbara Walters how can you be such a BIT*H ???? You are trying to ruin Mel, what kind of religion do you have???? All the religions I know, it is a sin to try to ruin someone..the old saying ( IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANY THING NICE- DON'T SAY ANY THING AT ALL ) I have never been upset about any thing like this before, but this is so vicious, to try to kill someones life..... God Bless all of the nice people-----And shame on all the people with out a forgiving bone in there bodys--and I will pray for you, you must be very unhappy to try to hurt some one you don't even know.........J.M.J.............( Jesus, Mary & Joseph ) a little prayer God Please help this world.....you are not teaching your children good things by all this hate.....

L Sullivan

It's a shame that Mel Gibson doesn't personally know the Jesus he so beautifully portrayed in The Passion of Christ. Jesus would never approve of his lifestyle, language or behavior. My heart goes out to Mel Gibson. Mel, get acquainted with the Jesus who said, "Go and sin no more". The world may not forgive so easily but Jesus truly does.

James Phillips

How many times does Mel Gibson have to apologize? What else can he do? My suggestion is to issue one more public statement in which he would note his apologies. He would then state that people can either accept them or not. Then he can get back to work with those who care to work with him and ignore those who don't.