Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Patti Kilby

Before you judge him, maybe you should ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Are you a good person?
2. If you were to die today, would you go to heaven or hell?
3. Have you ever told a lie? Even for a good purpose?
4. What does that make you? If someone lied to you, what would you call them?That makes you a liar.
We might not like that word - we like to say we're 'just human', or that we 'stretched the truth'. But the truth is - if we've told a lie, we're a liar.
5. Have you ever taken anything that did not belong to you? Even something small?
That makes you a thief.
It sounds harsh, but the truth is - if we've ever stolen anything, we're a thief.
6. Have you ever looked at another person with lust or desire?
Jesus said, that makes you an adulterer.
Jesus said in Matthew 5 that to look at someone with lust is to have committed adultery with them.

7. Have you ever been angry with another person?
Jesus said, that makes you a murderer.
Jesus said in Matthew 5 that whoever is angry with his brother without cause is guilty of murder.

8. Have you ever taken God's name in vain? Have you ever used God's name as a curse word or to express disgust?
The Bible calls this blasphemy.
According to God's standard, the Bible, that makes you a blasphemer.

You may not realize this...
...but those are just five of the Ten Commandments.

By your own admission and the standard of God's law, the Ten Commandments, you are a lying, thieving, blasphemous, murderous, adulterer at heart.

And you have to face God on judgment day!

If God were to judge you by His law, would you be innocent or guilty?
Be honest with yourself and God

I would be Guilty.

I would be Innocent.
Based on your guilty verdict, would you go to heaven or hell?
The Bible says that all murderers, adulterers, thieves, and liars will have their place in the lake of fire - Revelation 21:8.

I would still go to heaven.Why?
Do you think God should overlook your sin?

Should God allow murderers, thieves, and adulterers into heaven?

Colossians 1:21 says you are an enemy of God by your wicked works.

I still think I would go to heaven.

Based on my sin, I guess I would deserve hell.

I guess I would go to hell. The Bible offers hope.
II Peter 3:9 says that God is "not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."

Imagine you are standing in front of a judge, GUILTY of serious crime. All the evidence has been presented and there is no doubt of your guilt. Your apologies and good works cannot erase your crimes; therefore you must be punished. The fine for your crime is $250,000 and you have no money.

The judge is about to pass sentence when someone you don't even know rushes in and pays your fine for you! The court accepts the money and declares that you are free to go.

That is exactly what God did for you on the cross 2000 years ago.

Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Jesus loved you so much that he paid the penalty for your sin, so you wouldn't have to!
God has provided a way of escape.
And that is through the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Repent of Your Sin
That means turning away from your sin and asking God to forgive you for breaking His law.

Jesus said in Luke 13:3:

"Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

Refuse Your Own Self-Effort
Realize that there is no way you can work your way to heaven or somehow be "good enough" to earn heaven.

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by GRACE ye are saved through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: NOT of works, lest any man should boast."

Trust in Jesus Christ
as Your Only Hope
Trust in Jesus, like you would trust a parachute if you were jumping out of an airplane. You wouldn't just believe in the parachute, you would put it on (trust it) and jump (act on it). That is how we must put our faith and trust in Jesus as our only hope of heaven.

Acts 4:12, "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Receive Jesus Christ
as Your Savior and Lord
Turn your life over to him.

II Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Today with all your heart, turn away from your sin, and surrender your life to Jesus Christ. Please don't put it off. You may die today and then it will be too late. Put your faith and trust in Him today.

Now after taking this test, do you still believe it is necessary to even be speaking of Mel? Don't you think it is time you worried about your own salvation?

Art P.

Why are we so mad at Mel? He own's Malibu like he said in the Police Report.
He makes a movie about the birth of Christ and now he's spitting on it.
He's worth over $200 Million and he does as he pleases with no care.
Why should we care? Obviously he doesn't. He can apologize and make things all better because he's Mel Gibson? Sure. Why not? Who cares?

He's Mel Gibson. Not some hillbilly who never had a chance. Does Mel care?

Tumbleweed

Was what Mel did despicable? Of course. Has Mel brought shame upon everything he purports to represent? Yes. But what do we learn from this? What we learn is that booze just destroyed one more victim. Yeah, yeah, I know he is responsible for his drinking, but as anyone knows who has been there, alcohol is a horrible master once is has you under it's control. I'm a Baptist who disagrees with just about everything Mel thinks will get him to Heaven, but when I look at that poor disgraced creature, I cannot but feel pity. There isn't one of us who couldn't have ended up in the same place, but for the grace of God. Let's save our vitriol for the booze merchants who grow rich off this wreckage.

leeeeenda

Let anyone of us who have never been drunk, never out of control, never said the "f" bomb when drinking, acti stupid, said hurtful AND stupid things, said things OUT of character, drive when drinking (back in MY day we all did it all the time, sad to say!!!!)....I hope he learned a lesson.....he didn't kill anybody, literally, his family and let his fans down. I'm not saying I support his behavior, but I guess we ALL have problems and issues that sometimes we hide and it takes just one time of acting it all out that gets us in trouble. Forgive him, folks --- his family must hurt and with messages from all of us perfect people in here......he is talented and if his name was Paris we might feel differently, eh?

LizDee

Frank
You wrote it's apparant that he's on the TOP 10 Black Ball List in Hollywood.

That happened already during the making of The Passion of the Christ".
While that was FILMING long before it was released the press and anyone in Hollywood who was questioned about the film put the film down. It wasn't even "in the can" and they were dishing it.
With all that Hollywood try to do to hurt this film financially Gibson laughed all the way to the bank and the movie made probably over $300 million.
Hollywood seems to hate anything religious, and they hated this film as well.
He turned his back on Hollywood and used his own money to make this film and succeeded WITHOUT the backing of Hollywood.
I think they've been waiting to get even with him ever since.

Sheridan

c'mon, give the poor guy a break!!! Havent we all said or thought things we didnt really mean at one time or another? 2nd) all this hoopla is cause of the media. I know all about the media, being in the biz. If it was you or I, nobody would have thought twice! But cause he is famous, they have to make a world war out of it! So, the poor guy got drunk and said something stupid, even bad...cant we forgive? Or are we just going to judge him to the point of making a 'Hitler' out of him??? The Bible says 'let he who cast the first stone..' Y'know, should we judge him when we are sinners ourselves?????!!!! Give the guy a break, leave him alone, pray for him though.

HS

The Lost Hills Sheriff Station also manipulated a police report to help the grandson of a celebrity not getting charged with assault and battery, in late 2004
Important parts of my statement were omitted, changed and/or fabricated, in order to turn me, the victim, into the criminal while the criminal became the victim.

That they doctored this report is not a surprise, but appears to be standard police procedure in LA County. We are not all equal in front of the law!

Art P.

Why are we so mad at Mel? He own's Malibu like he said in the Police Report.
He makes a movie about the birth of Christ and now he's spitting on it.
He's worth over $200 Million and he does as he pleases with no care.

He's Mel Gibson. Not some hillbilly who never had a chance. Does Mel care?

I don't think so. He can smoke and drink his way out of anything.

I bet he does it again to spite Officer Mee.

Sheridan

PS: are we the ones to 'Crucify'???

RANDALL

BEING INTOXICATED IS NEITHER A DEFENSE NOR AN EXCUSE FOR BEING
AN ANTI SEMITE A-HOLE...GRANTED WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES AND FOR PEOPLE TO SAY GET OFF YOURE HIGH HORSE IS REDICULOUS..
MY FATHER ALWAYS SAID THE REAL YOU ALWAYS COMES OUT WHEN YOU DRINK. I ALSO DEAL WITH ALCHOHALISM DAILY.. NO EXCUSE TO BE AN ASS.
MEL GO AWAY FOR A WHILE APOLOGIZE AND BEING THE FORGIVING SOCIETY WE ARE, I AM SURE YOU WILL BE O.K. PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW THESE CELEBS BECAUSE THEY SEE ALL THERE MOVIES OR WHAT NOT..
HOW IS THAT FOR REALITY CHECK MEL FANS.. OR ANYONE WHO IS A FAN OF THESE FAKE ASS HOLLYWOOD NON EDUCATED OFTEN DRUG -ALCHOHAL
ADDICTS

Art P.

Mel owns Malibu and has $200 Million dollars.

He can write any ticket that he wants.

Mel for President!!!!! What do you say?

Why not. 3,000,000 are gonna go so his next flick so who cares about responsibility.

He can drink away his trouble like he love to do obviously.

Drew

As with so many other sites and publications, the intent of bringing this to the public's eye was strictly sensationalism. If real and objective news were the intent, then the facts of alcoholism and the damage that this abuse can do, the impact to others, would have been explored. The plain and simple of this is that this rag of a site will only "reveal" the single side of the issue that puts the subject in the worst light possible. Your incomplete information was published to be the first out without concern for the individual or his family or his beliefs. Congratulations to you and the brainwashed masses agreeing with your methodology and conclusions.

Art P.

Crucify Mel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. Better. Make him fight in Iraq.

No Better. Put him in jail for a while.

No Better. Strip him as an actor and director.

No Better. Road work. Community Service on the same road he was pulled over.

TPOTTER

I am a person that used to drink heavy and anyone that says you should know what your doing and saying when you are stoned drunk has never been there. The man has admitted he has been fighting this for years. It's a desease. You say and do things you would never ever say sober.I am not condoning what the man has done,but he needs help. Making a mockery of Mel Gibson will not right the wrong that has been done.Because he is a celebrity it's big news and people everywhere will join on the band wagon of tearing him down for his mistake. If i not mistaken didn't someone say," He who has no sin on their soul may cast the first stone."

Brandon