Mel Gibson Case -- An Outrage

7/29/2006 3:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson is garbage. What an awful person he is. True enough, I'm Jewish, so the grotesque remarks didn't please me none. And resisting arrest -- let me just say, I am privy to incontrovertible evidence that he did indeed try to bolt. It will come out, and it will shock you.

But even worse is that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has become a shill to celebrities. I knew this 11 years ago with Tony Danza, who beat up a photographer and stole his camera. The Sheriffs were ridiculous -- they merely asked him to return the camera, which Danza did after removing the film. That was just fine with the Sheriffs.

Well, it's gotten a lot worse. In the Mel Gibson case, I called the lieutenant who was on duty Friday, who told me that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." And I asked her about the anti-Semitic comments around mid-day. She said, in the phoniest of ways, "Oh, I'm just sure that's not the case." It was such a lying comment -- I just felt it.

Well, turns out that this time I was right on target. The lieutenant who gave me the bogus statement is the same person who told the arresting Deputy to 86 the truth and create a bullshit explanation for what went down.

The Sheriff's Department is so screwed. They thought they could protect their celebrity resident who did not deserve protection. What they didn't know is that we'd get a copy of the report that they tried to censor. And what's worse, there's evidence that I'm not allowed to report that will nail them to the wall.

There needs to be an investigation of the L.A.County Sheriff's Department and STAT. As awful as Mel Gibson is, the Sheriff's Department is worse. This is a corrupt department. They thought they could get away with this and they got nailed. Now they say they will issue a full report to the D.A. -- yeah, right....because they got caught.

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Diane

Hey, I didn't see my comment. Oh well, I guess I'll go get a six pack and watch a Mel Gibson movie. And then I'll listen to the Dixie Chicks.
Have a memorable evening all.....
Diane

doug laughton

you whiny mealy-mouthed crybaby panty-waste. Grow up.

Howard

I think that if you all have some more evidence against the sheriffs department, you should consider releasing it to the public. If they are getting caught in their own web of lies, the public has a right to know.

Julie Ann Brown

Mr. Levin, I hope if you are Jewish or Catholic (or maybe you can
claim and celebrate both as I do) have the "gift" of self-regulation
which is aptly known as"Guilt." You need to "self-regulate." I am
worried about your emotional, physical, and spiritual health." Please
do not drink and drive. You could actually do something foolish, but
fortunately if you did not hurt anyone but yourself, you could be
forgiven by those who saw courage in you, and start fresh. I will
light a candle in Church for you.

Melinda

Hey Chris, you called someone in the Sheriff's department and they told you that good ol' Mel even signed AUTOGRAPHS for the officers while he was being arrested on his DUI? Thanks for proving the case against them all. Another case of celebrity justice. Mel Gibson has been a dirtbag since he was exposed as being anti-Semitic on "Passion of the Christ." And when people are drunk, they just say what they WANT to say when they're sober... they just don't bother censoring themselves.

Melinda

Joy Division,

Please rename yourself. Your hateful rant makes me sick, and will also make everyone sick who reads it. What goes around comes around, and I hope your karma comes around and bites your bigoted, hating ass.

Leslie

In vino veritas. I think that Mr. Gibson has finally cooked his career in Hollywood and the smell of it is not in the least bit appetizing.

Carol

I HAVE A VERY FOND FEELING FOR MEL.................HE HAS ENTERTAINED US FOR YEARS...........WE ARE NOT HIS JUDGE.........LET THE LORD MAKE THOSE RULES........
SO, HE SLIPPED UP.........WHOPPIE DOOOOOOOO.........
ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT TAKE THIS PERSONAL ARE TOO SELF ABSORBED........HE'S ONLY A MAN

POOR ROBIN.......HIS WIFE

Louis Field

I believed that Mel Gibson at the time of his arrest became arrogant and obnoxious toward the Officer because he is MEL GIBSON! What a big f....ing JERK he is!!! He should be treated just like any common criminal regardless of his stature in the society. This guy is the biggest hypocrite and moron in the world! I say lock this asshole dirtbag up in jail and then the judge should let him do a thousand hours in community service like picking up trash on the 405 or the 101 and even the PCH wearing the orange caltrans suit. Hey Mel you draft dodger go back to Australia where you came from coz you're not wanted here. You are a disgrace to the residents of Malibu and the film community of Hollywood.

Carol

I THINK YOU ARE ALL HYPOCRITICAL.........THE MAN GOT DRUNK.........YOU KNOW, MAYBE HE CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THIS ATTENTION........HIS KIDS ARE PROBABLY BUGGING HIM FOR MONEY........HE PROBABLY FEELS OVERWHELMED........YOU ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES.........WE ARE ALL HUMAN........THE MAN WILL BE JUDGE BY THE TRUE ONE..........GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Rita

We are whole people. Our everyday lives reflect who we are and what we believe. The controversy that has surrounded Mr. Gibson for years, with regard to anti-semitism and how he regards women don't dissapear, just because he made a movie called "The Passion Of Christ". I'm confused as to why most major news sources are not including Mr. Gibson's remarks in their reporting. He made a degrading remark to the female officer...he made terrible, absolutely dispicable remarks about Jewish people. I've heard more details about what people in the news have said, for lesser things. If it were someone else, it would not be dismissed so easily. Major news coverage has been and continues to be selective about what facts to reveal and is therefore misleading the public. Are we so vulnerable as a society that the media thinks we can't handle the truth? He is now apologizing for what his disease of alcoholism led him to do and if we are going to be told he's sorry for what he said, then these major news sources should tell the public what it was he said in the first place. He is responsible for what he says and does. With fame comes an awareness that he is in the public eye and subject to more attention than a person who is not. If he's interested in moving the heart of the public to more understanding and caring through. his film, then he needs to be consistent in his own life as well, in order to be believable. He rose to the occasion with the film, made statements as to how he has changed and made himself an example to the world...someone to believe in...but he is flawed. He is not strong enough to be who he would like to be, and he needs to come out from behind his excuses and apologize for leading the public to believe in him and the person he professes to be. Alcoholism is not to blame. An alcoholic needs help for the disease. Mr. Gibson needs help for his alcoholism and that is a separate issue from what he believes. The alcohol was merely a catalyst for his expressing the hatred in his heart. He is not a hero, he is not someone I want my children to look up to, he has failed himself. Anyone who degrades another person for their gender or religion does not have any business leading others...especially under the guise of love and compassion. He's a phony. I resent his remarks and I resent the way he's using his disease to cover his truth. How is his hate different from other hate? Does hate have different categories? Hate is hate...plain and simple. This man is mean, self-righteous and a fake. I hope he can find some way to heal his addiction to alcohol before anything else, so that he stops putting innocent people at risk while he's driving. I guess he just figured that because he owns Malibu, he is the only one worth caring for on the road there.

furple

i love radishes

neveragain

Mr. Gibson's anti-Semitic comments may or may not be relevant to the DUI case (not a lawyer, don't know), but they are relevant to the community at large. When the Passion was released, Mr. Gibson simultaneously claimed that he wasn't anti-Semitic and that the Jews would ruin his career. His career, obviously, was Not Ruined. So these remarks show that he is both a liar AND an anti-Semite.

Anti-Semitism offends Jews, Christians and other people of good will. It is especially offensive for someone who claims to understand Scripture, and who interprets it to millions, to have the hatred of Jews as an integral part of their belief system. For some reason which I cannot fathom, it has become politically correct to pretend that anti-Semitism does not exist, and that calling someone on it is de facto an overreaction. Kudos, Mr. Levin for speaking out on this issue.

P.S. - I believe that the person who complained about Mr. Levin's article, saying that he should "comment" the officer who took the inebriated Mr. Gibson off the street, meant to say that the officer should be COMMENDED. Sometimes, dear bloggers, spell-check just isn't enough.

Frank

Stop whining Harvey. Sounds like a typical DUI arrest, except Gibson is famous. He seems to be manning up to his stupidity with his public statement and I hope he gets the help he needs. You're garbage for kicking a man who needs help when he's down.

Carol

YOU KNOW THE MORE I READ ABOUT YOU IDIOTS MAKING A BIG DEAL ABOUT MEL'S PROBLEM..........DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S IN HIS MIND? ARE ALL OF YOU MINDREADERS???MAYBE THE GUY HAS COME TO A WALL.........HE HAS EVERYTHING ANY HUMAN CAN HAVE........BUT, THAT DOES NOT BRING HAPPINESS..........OF COURSE WE ALL WISH WE HAD ZILLIONS OF DOLLARS.......DOESN'T BUY HAPPINESS..........I FEEL SORRY FOR THE FAMILY........HIM AND HIS WIFE JUST CELEBRATED THEIR 26TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY..............LET'S HOPE THEY COULD WORK IT
OUT ON THEIR OWN........