EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Previous 15 Comments | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48

hdmatthias

There is a song here in the South--"Tequila makes my clothes fall off."

It could be interpreted in California as "Tequila makes my mind go dead."

HDMatthias, MD

Louise

Dear Mel,

My cat hacked up a hairball today. For some reason I started thinking of you.

Respectfully,

SUGARTITS.

Lillian Robinson

Mel Gibson's apology and his humble request to the Jewish
community to help him are to me proofs of his fabulous
ACTING ABILITY. WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!! I don't buy
it for a minute and I hope nobody else does!

roto

I was raised Catholic, Lutheran. My father often said "All wars are started by the Jews," It wasn't stated in hatred, just as a matter of fact. for some reason, the Jews are always involved in the wars, doesn't make me dislike them a bit. I'm italian, people say we're cowards who won't even fight a war, that's okay, nobody freaking out and stickin up for me. Or, how bout the generalization that all Italians are in the mafia? Noone being kicked out of Hollyweird for that idealogy either. Jew's we love ya but quit pissen and moaning, Also I heard that when the Jews ran Germany pre Hitler, German women and children were starving to death in the streets. Wheres the movie of the week about that?

Heather Arias de Cordoba

So he's a huge star... so what? It seems he's just a lost man battling a common problem and in need of some help.

As far as his comments go... he's issued a heartfelt apology and asked to meet with top Jewish leaders to discuss what he can do to start the healing process.

As far as I'm concerned, forgiveness is the cornerstone for the Jewish community and the Catholic religion. Let's forgive and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, but those that own up and ask for help, we should lend a hand.

fawn tenenbaum

This will all blow over b/c Mel only made negative comments about the Jews. For 2000 years, Jews have been the scapegoats. Why change now? It's so easy. But just remember this: If he had made the exact same comments and replaced the word "Jews" with "women" or with "people of color," there would be rioting in the streets. And btw, Hitler was not Jewish. He is one that the Jews are happy to credit with Christianity. We like to credit Judaism to folks like Einstein, Sabin, Salk, Lauder, Gordimer, Rothschild, Montefiore, Solomon, Streisand, Walters, Spielberg, Ginsburg...

Dorothy Barnwell

I feel everyone makes mistakes,and should be given forgiveness. I had an alcoholic father, and have seen some of the stupid things it can make you do and say, ( that you regret later). It does affect people differently, so who is to say how it affected Mel. If this had been an average John Doe, it wouldn't be news! I personally think that this sort of tabloid fodder is no worse than what the paparazzi do. Leave the man alone, and let him deal with his demons in private. I know this has to impact his relationship with his wife and family, who knows, maybe they were having problems already, and thats what led to the drinking. As it says in the Bible, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone".

Always a Mel Fan,Dorothy Barnwell , Ark

Walter Morea

If there are any ch anges in the original arresting police officers report then I can only conclude that the sheriffs office is showing partiallity in this case. If it was any other person, not a celebrity I am sure they would at least be cited for speeding at 87 miles per hour. Why do we need a sheriffs office, if this is the case.

Xena

I would like to know what anti-semitic remarks Mel Gibson made. All the media is making such a big deal about it & I have not been able to hear what he said. We should be more concerned that he was driving drunk that the comments he made under the influence.

Jim Duffy

I Dont think Mr. Gibson Hates Half as much as this sick story does. God bless Mel, I hope he gets help . We need to love more and Hate Less

Previous 15 Comments | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48