Exclusive: Prosecutor in Gibson Case Removed

8/7/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the prosecutor who filed DUI charges against Mel Gibson has been removed from the case.

Ralph Shapiro, the Deputy in Charge at the Malibu branch of the D.A.'s office, has been taken off the case. The new deputy D.A. is Gina Satriano, who is currently handling the case against Rodney Alcala, accused of mass murder. In the past, Satriano prosecuted Courtney Love for assault.

We're told the switch occurred late last week. TMZ contacted D.A. Spokesperson Sandi Gibbons, who said the switch "was not the least bit unusual." Gibbons added that supervisors routinely file cases and then are replaced by trial deputies.

TMZ noted four cases to Gibbons in which the Deputy in Charge personally handled a high-profile case -- Shapiro's predecessor in Malibu, Lonnie Peterson, handled cases against Nick Nolte, Nicole Richie. Deputies in Charge also handled cases against Zsa Zsa Gabor and the accused killer of model Linda Sobek. Gibbons responded by saying those were "four cases out of tens of thousands of cases," repeating that it is typical to give cases to "experienced trial lawyers."

Shapiro, who is Jewish, could not be reached for comment. As TMZ first reported, Gibson hurled several anti-semitic comments at the arresting deputy, though the comments are not the basis of the prosecution's case.

gwen

Barbara Walters and Rob Schneider are the only people I can think of that would enjoy the updates on Mel Gibson. Barbara the witch from the View said she would never see another Mel Gibson movie. Rob says he will never work with Mel (I'm sure Mel is heart broken about this). There is such a thing as a code of honor. Don't kick someone when they're down. We all make mistakes. I would always look forward to her special on Oscar night. I am only one person but I will never see her specials again. How can she put herself on a pedestal.

Liz

My gosh people...Leave the man alone already. Who hasn't said some dumb crazy s*** when they are drunk? I know I have. Judge not lest ye be judged. He has apologized and apologized! But that isn't enough for everyone. I never hear anyone apoligizing for blasting the catholic church. No one is perfect not you, not me and not Mel. Forgive and love one another. Can't we all just get along?

betty damials

DIDN'T MEL DO WHAT ALL ETHNICITIES DO IN PRIVATE...BASH OTHER RACES FOR THEIR PRETTY MUCH ACCURATE GENERAL BAD BEHAVIOR. BECAUSE WE SPEAK THINGS LIKE THIS ABOUT EACH OHTER,,,,WE ARE ALL BIGOTS! I I HAVEN'T MET A RACE THAT DID NOT BASH OTHERS...SO BACK OFF AND GO HOME AND DO THE SAME THING BEHIND YOUR GLASS HOUSE!

Kris

What you people do not realize is that Mel Gibson attacked ALL of the officers that night on a personal level. The press is making such a big deal about his "anti-Semitic remarks". Well, he had ALOT of nasty things to say, not just the Jewish things. LEAVE HIM ALONE!!! He had a VERY bad night. What's important to remember is that he never went around acting this way in his personal life. Is he a bigot? Honestly, it doesn't matter, as long as he treats people respectfully, which by all indication, he always has. Besides that, he long-time Jewish friends are sticking up for him. This is a witch hunt!

Vicki

Let he who is without sin in thought word or dead cast the first stone. Everyone of us sins every day and its a good thing that our words and choices aren't plastered all over the news. Mel made a bad decision and not only he but his whole family will suffer the consequences of it. To place judgement on others we need to first look in the mirror and realize that we have ALL made bigotted comments in some way shape or form and must be grateful that most of the time our words and deads only affect a few and our embarrasment is minimal. What gives anyone of us a right to judge another mans heart? Only God can see the soul of a man and only He has the right to judge.

?

Being a bigot is not against the law unless you act on the hate and physically harm an individual because you despise their race or religion. Freedom of speech is every-one's right in this country no matter how repulsive the words. Perhaps Mr. Shapiro was replaced on the case so he & the district attorney's office could not be accused of a personal vendetta and stick to the laws that Mel did break. A "Higher' court will judge & punish him for his bigotry, let the 'lower' courts punish him for the DUI.

Efrain

Lisa must be dumb if she think Tmz is making a story of Nothing, what mel Did is Something that made Headline, Dummy! Anyway I could care less about mel, I don't watch his movies nor do i intend to Watch any crap he produces. Lord knows that man is going to hell for his hatred toward Jews and Gays

Wanda

Everyone! Leave Mel alone. Don't say about refusing to see his movie, hates and etc. You fool! Everyone are not perfect. He devoted God somehow he is in through his frustations and fight over the demon that he go through alcholism. He really is good man with alot of love . All of Hollywood actors and actresses always be through bad days. No matter what!

Kelly V

I think its a sad world we live in when the most important topic for weeks is Mel Gibson getting drunk and arrested. The worst part is EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU who call yourselves christians, or any religion for that matter and to childishly sit here and say he doesn't deserve to be forgiven? Get some help seek God will ya, Everybody and I mean EVERBODY in this world has done or said stupid things why do I have a feeling most of you loser Mel bashers on here were more forgiving of our whore ex-president MR. CLINTON. HMM or JFK whom the world still loves?? One PERFECT person walked this world and died for our sins ONE!

Lisa

Efrain if you dont care about what Mel did, then why are you posting? Just so you know Mel is spelled with a capital M. You should correct your grammer before you start calling someone names.

Steve

What amazes me are all the morons posting here, saying that he has apologized and therefore all is well. If anyone here thinks he apologized because he feels honestly feels bad or regrets what he did and said, then you are sorely lacking any intelligence. The apology was issued as damage control for his career. When, and if, he actually apologizes for his comments and his DUI and means it, instead of apologizing just so his career doesn't go belly up, then maybe, just maybe... OK. maybe not even then.

Steve

Sara

All Mel Gibson is being charged for is drunk driving. It is absolutely ridiculous that the comments he made are being made public. If it were anybody else we would not know about it. So many people hate people for stupid reasons; race, wealth, religion. Who cares?!?!?!? I am not condoning what he said, or how he feels. I also don't care. Everybody is so sensitive in this country anymore. Henry Ford was a huge anti-semite, are you driving a Ford, or boycotting Fords? Mel Gibson is just a man. He has his own views on things. I honestly don't think he hates Jews. I know when I have had too much to drink before that I have gone on about stupid stuff that I didn't mean. Every single one of you that have posted arguments are hypocrites. I know gay guys who don't want to be judged because they are gay......but they hate fat people, black people that hate whites and vice versa, most are in a tizzy about Mexicans right now. There is always going to be something. We can educate until we are blue in the face about how wrong prejudices are. Unfortunately, you can't change the minds of everybody. Most of these people are prejudice from personal experience or how they were brought up. Personally, I hate people that drive drunk. Not only are they showing a complete disregard for the law, they are also putting the lives of other people at risk. By the way Scott Levy, I would say your post is 100% correct.

Julia

The reason Mr. Gibson's comments are newsworthy at all, is because of the continuing interest in his outspoken religious positions. Most notably his Catholic fundamentalism - of the pre-Vatican II era (look it up). That would be the religious view that, among other things, all Jews are responsible for the death of Christ, which is considered an unforgiveable sin condemning all Jews to hell for eternity. That's why there was an outcry from the Jewish community when "Passion of the Christ" was released, and that's why there is an outcry from the Jewish community now. The deprecating remark to the female officer is also demonstrative of the attitude of his particular "brand" of Catholicism towards women.

It is terrible that he seems to have fallen back into alcoholism. I am truly sorry for him on that score. However, that in no way diminshes the rabid hateful opinions he spounted while under the influence.

lala

I remember right before the WTC bombing all thenews was about the missing Chandra Levy and Gary Condit. Every news channel was showing it. Then 9/11 hit and you never heard of them again.

Let's quit going over this Mel stuff and focus on something more positive.

KRIS

Well done Lisa!

Miguel,
according to your comments you are being an even bigger BIGOT than Mel

What happent to the forgiven act that Jesus taugh all of us?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments