Mel Gibson Cops a Plea

8/17/2006 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonTMZ has learned Mel Gibson's lawyer went to the Malibu Courthouse Thursday and appeared with the prosecutor to reveal a plea deal. Gibson has agreed to three years probation, but will avoid jail time. Gibson was ordered to attend one year of AA meetings. For the first four-and-a-half months he must attend five times a week. For the remainder of the time, he must attend three times a week. Gibson must also pay $1200 in fines and penalties as well as one hundred dollars in restitution.

Gibson volunteered to do a public service announcement on the hazards of driving under the influence. He also volunteered to enter a rehab program immediately.

Under the deal, Gibson pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor of driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher. The misdemeanor count of driving under the influence was dismissed. The infraction of driving with an open container of alcohol was also dismissed.

Under California law, Gibson will have his driver's license restricted for 90 days.

Gibson's lawyer initially went to Division 3, but Judge Terry Adamson refused to take the plea because she is a neighbor of Gibson's. The case was moved to Division 1 where Judge Lawrence Mira took the plea. A number of celebrities have passed through Mira's courtroom, including Nick Nolte, Nicole Richie, and Kim Delaney.

Gibson was not in court for the plea.

Click here to check out the plea bargain documents

WHAT IS THE RUSH

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I'M READING THIS, I KNEW A SLAP ON THE WRIST WOULD HAPPEN, STARS CAN GET AWAY WITH ANYTHING, NOT THE AVERAGE JOE. DROVE DRUNK MORE THEN ONCE HE SHOULD HAVE HIS LICENSE SUSPENDED, BUT HEY OJ KILLED, BEN AFFLECK GETS OUT OF TICKETS, HAILEY BERRY HITS AND RUNS AND DRIVES HOME BUT ROBERT BLAKE, THEY ALL GET OFF, IT SHOWS THERE ARE TWO, TWO, TWO, TWO SETS OF LAWS IN THE STATE.

George Munkelwitz

There have been a few times in my life where I could have been Mel. I woke up the next day regreting things I said under the influence. Gibson has created some great art, done some good along the way, and he has suffered a serious loss of reputation. How he moves on from here will define him. I wish him luck.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

SPECIAL TREATMENT OF A STAR MUST STOP.
TWO SETS OF LAWS, ONE FOR THE RICH AND FAMOUS AND ONE FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNFAIR, PEOPLE FORGET THAT THEY ARE HUMAN ALSO AND CAN MESS UP AS MUCH AS PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE IT. SO UNFAIR.

Irving

So this is Mel's second DUI. Uh huh. Look for a third and a fourth and a ....
Let's face it. Mel is a DRUNK!!!!! And an arrogant DRUNK at that. No way will Mel reform. He is bent on injuring or KILLING another motorist or pedestrian. Just give him time. Sorry, Mel. You should have done time in the slammer to get your attention. I bet you are chortling about the nothing penalty you were assessed.

Do we KNOW who you are, Mel? Yes, we know. You are a celebrity who twisted the justice system all out of shape.

You better clean up your act, Mel, or you will surely be ticketed for that really HOT place we have been told so much about. You know the place I mean--the one run by that guy in a red suit carrying a pitchfork anxious to stick the point in your most vulnerable places. You have severe mental problems---you and your apologists.

carol jo

My son was arrested with a .08 (his first arrest ever), and he was fined $3,700,00. That was 2 1/2 years ago and he still hasn't been able to get his license back. All this while undergoing treatment for cancer. Where's the justice?

Lisa

People, Mel did not get arrested for what he said about Jewish people. He was drunk driving plain and simple. You can not expect a man to go to jail for remarks that he made while under the influence.

As a black woman if I could put people in jail every time they said a racist remark to me, I would be the only one at work. It's just life sometimes people say things that they dont mean.

Linda

Sorry ...I do not have a racist streak of any kind...I love all races and religions, I always have...and just cause someone in your family may be prejudice, does not mean that You should be also... People need to have their own minds!

I always did!

The only think I am prejudice about is prejudice! It is NOT right! And anyone who doesn't think so needs to learn kindness and love.

Richard Wilkerson

Come on people (especially the news media), give this a rest.
If Rob "Meathead" Reiner or Mike Farrell, or any other Hollyweird snob had made so-called anti-Semitism comments, and given the fact that the MSNM is in itself very anti-Israeli (along with being extremely anti-American), their comments may have made the back page, ONCE!
But given the fact that Mel doesn't hob-nob with, nor lives in, and run in the main stream circles of his profession, and the fact that he is Republican, and that he supports President Bush, the MSNM and the Holly-wanna-be big-wigs (are you listening Rob Schneider), have seized upon what they perceive, to be a potential weakness in Mel and go after it. Like a pack of starving wild dogs, going after the injured one in the pack.
And to Harvey Levin, that bottom feeding excuse for an attorney, attempting to get a copy of the police vehicles' video tape(s), via the court system, using the excuse of 'police impropriety (aka - cover up), just to show it on TV. What a crock of crap! During my 13 years working within law enforcement, if whatever a suspect said that didn't have any bearing on the case (self incriminating statements, threats, and such) never went into any reports. Now, if the officers on scene decided to place Gibson into the mental ward on a 72 hour psych hold, then his statements would be included to show the ravings of a potential WIC 5150 (that's the CA Welfare and Institution Code for person that's gone wacky).
And if that were the case, then the L. A. County Sheriff and the greater metro
L. A. P. D. would be using it for 95% (or more) of those working in the entertainment industry, as there are a minimum of that many that qualify, with the ranting and incoherent babble that spew from the mouths of rich idiots.

coco puff

90 day license suspension!! You got to be kidding me. I lost my licence for 7 months, paid over a 1,000 dollars in fines plus 1,000 dollars a year for three 3 years in insurance penalties!It must be great to be able to buy justice. I wonder what he paid his lawyer? I bet it was over 10 grand, penny's for Mel.

Linda

I am upset at what Mel said about Religion,etc and I am proud of myself for NOT being racist in ANY form...but I know that is not what he went to jail for....
I do think if a person does not change and keeps driving drunk over and over ...like how 2 people I love were hurt by drunk drivers..then Yes, they need to go to jail....because they obviously don't care who they hurt..
If however they do change and never drive drunk again..then they have proven they can be on the road and should be proud of themselves.

Mikey

Fair is fair. Can I give California $1200 to drive 80 on the PCH? I won't even drink, resist, insult, or anything!

Bella

Get the hell off Mel already........good god you people are on my last nerve.....
What is wrong with TMZ that you have to keep harping on Mel Gibson.....give him a freakin break.....all the news in the world everyday...and you have to keep bashing Mel......I don't care if you're Jew or Gentile.....shut the hell up and get a life....Mel is trying to make up for what happened...and it's no one's place to judge him but God......Why not write about all the suffering in the world.....all you have to do is look around you.......

Tom Green

He should be elected President; then we might have peace in the Middle East.

DD

Why should he get to make a deal as to how to get out of jail time? Cause he's an actor? Not a very good one if you ask me. None of the rest of us that have ever gotten DUI's gets to make deals to stay out of jail. What makes him so special? Any non-actor would be looking at at least 6 months. I think he should have to serve out any sentence that the rest of us would have to.

BAP

Going to AA meetings with his family would be great. A whole year of AA meetings are alot I think. A fine and license taken away for 1 - 2 yrs. like everyone else would be the normal. Mel is a great family man and actor, and does alot for the community. He is human like anyone else. He puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us do. I adore Mel Gibson.