The Woes in the Life of a 'Rock Star'

9/18/2006 7:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After all the reality TV show hoopla that followed with last year's Rock Star: INXS quest to find a new singer for the group, JD Fortune and Co. today were dropped by their label Epic Records.
rock star blues

Meanwhile, this year's incarnation, Rock Star Supernova, may have to change its name after a San Diego judge last week approved a preliminary injunction filed by an Orange County, Calif. punk trio with the same name. The judge barred the TV band from "performing rock and roll music, or recording, or selling rock and roll music recordings under the same (name), pending a trial of this action on its merits, or until otherwise ordered by the court."

And you wanted to be a rock star...

Penny

You guys are crazy Lucas was the perfect pic to front Super Nova. I liked either Toby or Lucas and I think Lucas will do great. I would love to see him perform with Super Nova in Vegas. That sucks that they have to change the bands name. Well I hope super Nova does well and is around for a long time.

Whatever

That JD guy sucked. His attitude was horrible and he wasn't voted as the top pick by the public. That's a reason why they flopped.

babs

I FOR ONE WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT INXS AND THEIR NEW LEAD SINGER JD FORTUNE 100% ON INTO THE FUTURE. I'VE BEEN A FAN SINCE THE EARLY 80S AND WILL CONTINUE UNTIL THE DAY THEY DECIDE TO CALL IT QUITS. IF NEED BE, I'LL BY THE IMPORTS SINCE THEY ARE STILL SIGNED WITH EPIC IN AUSTRALIA.
BABS

Weathered

I have also see INXS 7 times since February. I'm a new fan. I saw them once in Boston and from that point on I was addicted so bad...worse than a crack addiction! Driving all over the east coast and into another country (canada) travelling over 2000 miles to see them live just one more time. This band is fantastic. I've never got such a high off a live performance before in my life. All you non believers must go see a live show then make up your mind. It's incredible!

I'm 38 years old. At my age, with a good job and money to spend on records...it's my age group that record companies should be focasing on! It's the kids that download the records off the internet for free. Adults now are the buying power in the music industry and for them to drop such a great band is a shame. Sony Epic should be ashamed of themselves!!! I will continue to follow...im hooked for life!

fortune4me

INXS will be just fine without Epic holding them back. The deal with Epic was only for one record. I don't think INXS should be too upset to be free of them. Come on people. They are INXS they won't have any trouble finding a better label to go with. They just finished a sold out Australian leg of Switched on Tour and will play New Zealand then a couple dates in the UK and then back to North America for the third leg of their North American Tour. They aren't hurting for success. They will be just fine. I, for one, can't wait to hear the next INXS album with JD Fortune as a full writing partner.

Michael was wonderful. I thought he was a rock god back in his heyday, but he isn't here anymore and I thank God and the rest of the founding members of INXS every day for moving on and finding such a wonderful lead singer as JD Fortune. The world wasn't as good a place without INXS music.

PhanTim

As an older person who has loved INXS from day one, I am glad that Epic/Sony dropped them. What did Epic/Sony do for them anyway? They didn't promote the band or the album. INXS is well shot of them, imho. A record company like Nettwerk would be a far better choice for them.

I loved Michael. It was very difficult, at the beginning, to get my head around the fact that one of my favourite bands in the world was looking for a new lead singer through the cheesy medium of reality TV. What had the world come to? But I caught this JD Fortune fella a couple of times when I was flipping channels. He had something. I liked him. Then I loved him. Then it was if INXS doesn't choose him, I will be very displeased. Then I saw them live, and JD won me over. He gave me back my music. I am very grateful.

For all you who are posting negative things about INXS and JD, who do you listen to? Linkin Park? Korn? Britney Spears? Creed? Let me tell you something: Jon Farriss, the drummer, was one of the first to use loops and samples; INXS, in their day, was bigger than U2, the idea for Mysterious Ways by U2 was actually swiped from INXS's song, Mystify Me. And if it hadn't been for INXS, innovators in the rock/funk movement by the way, bands like the Killers wouldn't sound like they do.

dee

I will never understand why some people thrive on being so negative. I have loved INXS and their music for many years and I am thrilled with their choice of JD as frontman. Listening to their music past and present is one of the highlights of my day. In my opinion they could not have found a better, more perfectly suited singer if they had searched the rest of their lives. A great band like INXS deserves to continue performing and recording, they have so much more to give and JD has given them new life. I am also extemely happy with RS:Supernova's choice. Lukas is a gifted musician and show-man, just what they needed and wanted in a frontman. Two great singers, two great bands, I'm happy with how things turned out for these bands. INXS will get another record deal, RS:Supernova will come up with a killer name. Come on people! Try being a bit positive! It will do wonders for your ulcers and those stress headaches.

Deanna

This article makes me glad that MiG Ayesa (the 3rd place finisher on Rock Star:INXS) decided to sign with Universal's Decca label. His CD is finished and it's coming out in January 2007. Already, he's a hit on MySpace and YouTube. MiG may end up being the most successful performer off either show, by taking the time to craft a CD, versus jumping on the "strike while the fire is hot" mentality and releasing schlock.

Robert LaFleur

The show was a scam, it was predicted earlier in the showthat they had already decided on lucas, why?, I don't know. Toby, Magni and Dilana wre so much better and I might havelisten to their music, with LucasI never understoood what he was saying and his voice abd solo song sucked. It's too bad.

Robert LaFleur

Rock star is doomed to fail with lucas. there in their fortys and he is in his early twentys, he has along way to go on his vocals because right now they suck

Paris Jenkins'

Who caught more balls to the face? Johnny Bench or Tommy Lee? LOL.....Love Paris'

sharon

I saw INXS with JD Fortune four times and I thought the show was great. JD gave it 110%. After seeing them live I can not see any of the other contestants being a better fit than JD. I have no doubt that INXS will be picked up soon by another label. Their tour is doing very well, although it has to be temporarily suspended because Tim is having knee surgery.
Lukas is the best fit for Supernova. To the poster who said he is only in his early 20's, the truth is that Lukas will be 30 in December. Lukas brings a breath of fresh air to the oband and he will also bring a bit of an edge to make them stand out from every other pop/rock band. He attracts the younger fans as well as the baby boomers, like me.

I'm seeing Lukas and the boys in January and am really looking forward to it.

mesothelioma

damn, that was hilarious :)

Jarkko

I think JD is an awesome frontman. They couldn't have found better. As been said above, if they had chosen differently, I can't imagine tearing apart their choice. If they had wanted MiG or Marty, or whomever, the music would have had a different flavor, that's all. Why haven't we heard from any of those other performers, btw. I thought Marty Casey's Lovehammers were set to get a hit and go from there.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2