Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

Teressa

I AM SO VERY HURT TO HEAR OF THE LOSS OF YOUR DAUGHTER. I TOO HAVE LOST A CHILD AT BIRTH. MY SON EVAN WAS BORN STILL 2/18/01. HE WIEGHED 9LBS 10 OZ. I WAS DEVASTATED AS I'M SURE YOU ARE TOO. ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT ONE DAY AT A TIME(SOMETIMES ONE HOUR AT A TIME), GOD WILL EASE YOUR PAIN. WITH EVERY BREEZE THAT BLOWS ON YOUR FACE YOU WILL THINK OF YOUR SWEET ANGEL. SHE WILL BE FOREVER IN YOUR HEART. EVAN WAS MY 7TH SON SO THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE OTHER CHILDREN IN NO WAY DIMINISHES THE LOSS. NOW YOU HAVE MORE REASON THAN EVER TO LIVE A LIFE THAT WILL ASSURE THAT YOU WILL SEE YOUR DAUGHTER AGAIN. REST ASSURED THAT WE WILL HOLD OUR BABIES IN HEAVEN.. AGAIN I AM SO SORRY FOR THE PAIN YOU FEEL RIGHT NOW.

YankeeFan

Omphalocele, which is the term used when some or all abdominal organs are outside the body and/or gastroschisis, which is when the stomach and intestines are outside the abdominal cavity - are both clearly seen on a routine second trimester ultrasound. As a Registered Ultrasound Technologist of 15 years with my specialty in High Risk Obstetrics, I can - with 100% certainty - tell you that whoever did that scan should have their license revoked. That fetus should have been delivered in a high risk OB hospital with a team of neonatal surgeons...such a shame.

mjb

Only time will help them to get better and heal from the pain of losing a child......you never forget but you learn to go on and look forward to the day when you can hold them again .... to the simmons family...please remember that your child is beautiful and healthy in heaven....there is no sickness there. I'm sorry for the heart breaking loss of your child....may the peace of God which passes human understanding keep your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus. Peace be unto you and your family.

Ohwellwhatevernevermind

I watched the show for both seasons. I absolutely LOVE this family. I have actually started to do some of the things Rev does with his family with mine. I saw what a wonderful mother Jus was to ALL of their children, whether they were her biological children or not. She is just an awesome mother (of course Rev was a wonderful father too!) I am sure that their Faith is getting them through this unimaginable time. I know he is the Rev and that the entire family prays together, so that will help as well. I am sure everyone else's prayers are with them as well. That being said...
I am heartbroken for them. The entire family. This baby would have been a very welcomed and loved little girl. Jus had expressed how badly she wanted another baby first, then how much she wanted that baby to be a girl. It is so cruel that this happened. If anyone from their family is reading this, please tell them that we all are thinking of them and praying with and for them. My heart feels like it is actually breaking. I read this and I'll admit, I did cry. It is one of the saddest entertainment stories I have heard as of late, along with Daniel Smith passing away. I am so sorry for their loss. That little girl is in Heaven, and will forever be an angel for the family. May God bless them all.

Amanda

WOW!! I am sooooo sorry Rev...but as you know everything happens for a reason...God has your baby with him in heaven for a reason. I give my condolences and hope your family can recover from such a tragedy...As much as I love your show, you shouldn't film any more!

susie

it is sooo hard to see the LORDS reasonings at times like these, im soooo sorry for your loss, deep down, mabey th LORD was protecting your baby, this world is a very scary, dangerous,mean place,,,,,all we try to do is the pretty side of this world, but deep down, its scary,, the LORD has your baby under his wing waiting for you,,your baby is safe, and will never cry, never feel pain,,only laugh, and waite for you,stay strong,even in this very hard time,,you will see your baby soon, and know one will cry up in heaven only laugh,,

Sherry

Oh my God .. That is absolutely awful -- My prayers and condolences go out to the Rev and his family in this time of grief.

BC

My love and prayers are sent to Reverend Run and his beautiful wife Justine. Words fail me at a time like this. Bless them!

louise

IM SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS. YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS.MAY THE LORD GIVE YOU COMFORT IN YOUR HOUR OF NEED.

Casey Thompson

This is satan wicked world! I am truly sorry for this family's loss though they will see thier baby in her perfect state in God's new system! May god bless you as you go through this tragedy. I have 3 special needs children and some things you cannot predict with all the technology in the world. My prayers ar with them, hopefully they will remain strong in faith. Trust in Jehovah god and he will see you through!

Steviesly

Joe and Jussie I am so sorry. I am crushed - so very sorry

no.name

My heart goes out to them. :(

Yannie

I was devestated when I read this article. I too know what its like to lose a child. My prayers are with the family in this their time of need. May the public have mercy on them and give them time to grieve.
Run and Justine, God will bring peace and comfort to you. Good Luck in the future. God Bless, A Run House Fan

Joan

My family and I love your show, we have even Tivo it
and love watching
it again and again. We were looking forward to your next season. Our
thoughts and prayer are with you, Rev. Run and Justine and the family.
You are a strong family and you all will get through this together.
Be strong and may God continue to richly bless you.

JustSomebodyWhoWantsToJoinYou

I feel so sorry for them. It must be hard to get through this misery. A friend of mine just had a miscarriage last month. It was the 7th month already. She was wondering why the baby didn't make any movement. When she and her husband went to a doctor, the doctor said that the baby was already gone a week before :(. They were shocked. I was, too!

Now that I read this news about a newborn pronounced dead a short time after being born... and with the organs outside the body?? I wonder whether they had ultrasound throughout the pregnancy or not..

Joseph and Justine... you have my prays... Hope everything will get better soon...