Exclusive: Horrifying Death of Reality Star's Baby

9/26/2006 10:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joseph SimmonsA rapper's wife gave birth Thursday, but the scene quickly turned to tragedy after their newborn girl was pronounced dead.

Rev. Run, a.k.a. Joseph Simmons, shocked fans last year when he announced that his wife Justine was pregnant on his MTV reality show "Run's House."

Justine's pregnancy was the cliffhanger on the MTV show last season. It generated intense interest among viewers who have been anxiously following the pregnancy and awaiting the birth.

Simmons, a member of the legendary rap group Run-DMC, was at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, NJ Tuesday for the birth of his child. Doctors delivered the baby via c-section, revealing a cruel twist of fate -- the baby girl was born with organs outside the body. The newborn died a short time later.

TMZ has learned that MTV cameras were inside the hospital at the time of the birth, though we do not know if they were in the delivery room.

ginaboo2

im so sorry for there lost my prayers are with the family

Lisa

Wow! I love Justine and Run! SHe was so HAPPY to get pregnant and shop for baby clothes..................They need all the prayers and privacy they can get right now. May God bless them and their families.

Patty

How very sad. My prayers and condolences go out to the Simmons family. They may have had an ultrasound and possibly known of the problem, and had a C-section hoping to save the baby after delivery. Or the ultrasound may have missed it. It doesn't say if they were in a neo-natal unit or not. Or if this delivery was an emergency. From experience, I know ultrasounds are not a 100% way to diagnose everything. Just a tragedy for all of them. I'm glad they are a spiritual family and hope that their faith will carry them through this.

Vall

Regardless if they knew ahead of time or not, this is a very sad, tragic thing to happen. It's possible due to religious beliefs that she carried the baby to term.
My condolences to the Simmons family.

stellsez

With all their money, able to have the best health care, it's a tragedy that a sonagram or something didn't show this rare occurance.
Aside from that, my prayers and deepest sympathy are with the family.

Lam

I love the show and was so happy for the whole family. What a tragedy. My prayers go out to the family.

Ericka

Why would this be described as a cruel twist of fate. WTF is wrong with you people?
Oh man. I am so sorry for your loss Justine and Rev Run. I'm sure you already know God had plans for that little girl and that He still loves you and continues to bless you. I awaited news of the baby's birth also. Media, please leave them alone and let them grieve in private. Though, I've never been through it, I'm sure it's devastating. They don't need cameras in their face asking them how they feel and how she died. How do you THINK they feel?
What they need to be asking is why their doctor didn't detect this in an ultrasound.

Melissa

May God bless you, Rev. Run and Justine during your grieving process. I truly understand what you are going through so keep God first and pray for strength daily.

christiansmom

I am extremely saddened and feel for them at this loss. My son is just about to turn one, and I cannot imagine my life without him. I deeply feel for Justine and the family. My deepest condolences and prayers go out to their family. I pray that the Lord bless and keep them through this tragic time. God bless the baby's soul.

HeatRock

My most heartfelt condolences go to the Simmons family.

To Reverend Run and Justine: your beautiful daughter is in Heaven...God must have needed another angel.

Marshell Logan

I would like to send my prayers out to the Simmons family intheir time of need. I do not know what it is to lose a child and I can imagine it to be a painful expereince. And me and my family would like to send our deepest condolences out to the family.

Me

what a horrible tragedy. i feel so bad for the family.

Trina

I just want the family to know that I am heart broken for them I love the show and watch it faithfully and hope to have the type of family that they have one day and I know how strong they are and they will be there for each other and may God be with you as I know he is.......Love one of your greatest fans....

Patty S.

My heart goes out to the family. I lost a baby on May 13th of last year and it absolutely devastated me and my family. My faith in the Lord is probably the only thing that got me through it, well, I still go through it daily , but I am finally now able to live. The pain never goes away and you are never the same person, but it does get better as the days go by. My prayers are with the family. God bless you and keep in Jesus' name.

Trailer Trash

That's soo sad to carry a child that long and to lose it in the end, over a 9 month period I'd imagine you'd become pretty attached to that child. Hope and pray for the family.