Madonna and Child

10/4/2006 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

MadonnaMadonna has reportedly added another member to her brood and adopted a one-year-old boy from the impoverished African country of Malawi.

The mother of two chose the boy from a group of 12 children that were specially chosen from four orphanages prior to her arrival. And you thought getting into Hyde was difficult!

A Malawian government official said Madonna had wanted a girl but changed her mind two weeks ago. Princess Lourdes can rest easy.

Her Madgesty has pledged $3 million to fund the Raising Malawi center which will support programs for 1000 orphans, many who have lost their parents to AIDS. Madonna will also fund another $1 million for a documentary about the plight of the nation's children.

As of yet, there is no word on the baby's name.

But now Madge's camp is saying the adoption has not taken place.

Her publicist, Liz Rosenberg, told Us Weekly "I can confirm Madonna is in Malawi on a private visit. She is building an orphanage and child care center and is involved in other initiatives geared toward helping children orphaned by AIDS thru the Raising Malawi organization. She has not adopted a baby despite reports that she has."

Paul

I hate when people say "it's all for publicity" no one takes on a child for 18 years for two months of publicity. Get a life.

Amanda

I want to be brad and angelina
signed
madonna

give me a break.. enough with this.. what about american babies?? screw you "famous" people. you will never change the world so get over yourselves!

Reality Check

This is a celebrity who is serious about doing something right and doing it well. What's truly sad (besides the orphaned kids and diseased parents) is the number of people who will claim she only did this for publicity.

kathryn

I bet that kid already has a red string tied around his little wrist. Scary.

Reality Check

You must be joking. Who are you to tell someone else what they are doing isn't good enough? What do you do? Wait, don't answer that. I don't care.

The fact is you are missing the point. Who cares if she is trying to be like Brad and Angelina (which I don't think she is)? The end result is still good for those people, particularly for that little boy. If people are helped, the world has been changed, if only for those specific people involved.

It is because of cynical people like you, Amanda, that good samaritans are often too discouraged or unappreciated to change the world on a bigger scale.

Belle

I agree with Amanda (#2) while I do understand there are children all over the world suffering, what about the problem we have right here in the good ol' USA? You don't see these celebrities rushing to adopt the poor little babies whose mothers were meth abusers or potheads so they can have a good life. This is kind of a double edge sword...I think it's great to save these children but you have to think about home too.

Susannah Bluttman

She will do anything for publicity. This is disgusting. There are so many children who need adopting right here in the US. And you can bet she'll be dragging that child in front of the papparazzi whatever chance she gets. Bad karma, Madonna!

Jennifa O Jenny

There's something a little sick about it becoming trendy to adopt kids from 3rd world countries. But on the other hand at least some poor, unfortunate kids benefit from the "trend" since these stars seem to set up charities in their adopted child's home country to benefit other less fortunate children. It's just sick and sad that it takes a trend to inspire one to do charitable acts

Alfwiz

I wish it would somehow become trendy to take care of a 38 year old male secretary (with nice biceps).

duh...totally !

I love Madonna!

She does as much good as she can w/ her fame and fortune....unlike 80% of the self-absorbed celebs out there!!!!

TJ

I wonder if these children will really be better off with celebrity parents who are always in the limelight, traveling the world like gypsies and not giving them the stability they so badly need. I think people who really want to help the less privileged don't need to have their deeds photographed and publicized around the world. Madonna, especially, always craves the limelight and seems very phoney to me.

TRL

there is a difference in kids in the USA and those in underdeveloped countries. 1) Kids in America have a Social Services system that can take care of them to age 18. We also have many other programs that care for runaways, teenage mothers, gay teens, abused kids, foster care, welfare, food stamps, HeadStart, etc. While these aren't the greatest programs out there, they are better than anything these children in Africa and other countries will EVER see.

get a life people

I just don't understand why these people continue to go to other countries to help these kids...There are thousands of kids right here that need a home...

Black Sheep

She puts her money where her mouth is, that's for sure. But as Amanda asked why can't these people find babies right here at home? Meanwhile, if I ever become rich and famous I'll adopt you Alfwiz. So keep those pecs going.

Ana

Considering that it's Madonna who adopted this child, it's not unreasonable to think that she did this for publicity...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments