Mel Gibson Breaks His Silence

10/10/2006 8:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson talks to Diane SawyerMel Gibson says his anti-Semitic rant the night of his DUI arrest was the "stupid rambling of a drunkard."

Gibson told ABC's Diane Sawyer, "What I need to do (is) to heal myself and to be assuring and allay the fears of others and to heal them if they had any heart wounds from something I may have said."

TMZ broke the story detailing Gibson's tirade after his July 28th arrest in Malibu. He has since pleaded no contest to drunk driving and was sentenced to three years probation. The actor has also entered an Alcoholics Anonymous program.

The Sawyer interview will air this Thursday and Friday on "Good Morning America." Thursday's segment will feature Gibson's comments about alcoholism and drunk driving, and Friday's installment will deal with Gibson's anti-Semitic comments.

the wise old owl

It's evident Mel is sorry for what he did and the horrible things he said. He's learned a great and valuable lesson., I'm sure.... If there are Jews out there that are forgiving him, than I certainly can too. It looks like the poll says others are forgiving too.

I know I have gotten Drunk and said things I didn't mean or remember the next day. I can't imagine how humilating and embarassing it would be to have those comments aired for all the world to hear. I think he has more than paid the price for that. The public humilation alone is enough punishment.

Let's hope he looks back and sees how fortuante it was that he didn't kill a family of 5 while driving intoxicated. This incident could have been a lot worse. If anyone substained the most damage IT WAS HIM. He was HIT personally, financially and socially. He did alienate a lot of people in the Entertainment Industry.

He is one lucky guy. He just narrowly escaped. It could have been a lot worse.

B. Lockhart

If the Amish can forgive the killer of their children, I think the world can forgive the rantings of a drunk.

Freelols.com

Translation: I AIN'T DOIN SH*T.

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

valuable lesson? dont drink,drive and talk sh*t about the jews?what lesson did he learn?dont get caught?CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT LESSON HE LEARNED

rockerbuns

Who of us has said things when we've been drinking that we're ashamed of later? I know I've said and done things I wouldn't have normally done.

I think he's truely sorry for what he's done, so I'm willing to forgive Mel. I hope he's learned a valuable lesson, and continues on his trek to stay sober. It won't be easy, but he can do it.

Theo

Yeah, everyone spews hatred at the Jews when they get drunk.
Even when Jews have too much, it happens.

It's a basic symptom of drunkenness - hating the Jews.

robin, robin, robin

GET OVER IT.

Lisa

Either you forgive Mel or you don't, but stop acting like he got away with murder. It was and always will be a DUI charge, he is not the first person to make this mistake nor will he be the last. Alcoholism is a sickness that destroys lives, and Mel is trying to beat this disease. It is not up to any of us to pass judgement on him, because the last time I checked GOD didn't blog at TMZ.

A Devoted Mel Fan

Freelols.com

#8 - remind me to give you the same advice when your religion is attacked.

coco puff

Mel can say he's sorry a million times and the hateful Jews will never forgive him. In Israel the Jews treat the Palestinians like 3rd class citizens and nobody says sh*t. If the Jews want to know why so many people hate them, they only need to look what they've done in the past and present. I can't wait to see Mel's new movie and I'm confident it will be extremely successful.

Theo

Thanks, really and Smitty, for reminding us all that Christianity is America's Religion.TM

lisa

Stop Attacking Mel Gibson!!!!

the wise old owl

POst #9 LIsa : Of course I agree with you 100 %, Mel is asking for repentance. And in the eyes of " THE OLD SO POWERFUL ONE " , that's all you need to do, to be forgiven.

It is a disease ,,,,,, and he is sorry. That's all that should matter. He has shown he does have courage. Because that's what it takes to come out and publicly admit you were wrong. He humbled himself before mllions of viewers and his retribution to society will more than make up for his mistake.

The community service he has to do and the public announcments as part of his sentence will save many lives. Learning from your mistakes is what it's all about. I don't think he will be repeating this one.

Post # 6 bad role model ? The lesson he has learned is that " you must pay for your mistakes.............and learn from them...... So far he is showing he accomplished both. One he had to do because he was caught. The other he has learned is reflected in his comments to the press and his contribution to others by his current actions. I would call that ( at least an attempt ) to learn a lesson. I would bet my house HE WON'T BE DRIVING DRUNK AGAIN. I think he's learned a lesson. But only TIme and his ACTIONS in the future will be true indicator if he did or not

coco puff

I'd love to go drinking with Mel. I bet he's hilarious after a few drinks. Why is the media making such a big deal about what Mel said when he was toasted. People say sh*t all the time when they have a buzz on. The Jews are so sensitive, I think they need to have a couple of drinks and lighten up a little. Getting all stressed out over what somebody said when drunk is just silly.

Theo

Funny how quickly the wingnuts here can forgive Mel Gibson, yet can't find it in their hearts to forgive Bill Clinton after 8 years.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments