Janet Jackson's New CD Bombs

10/18/2006 3:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Janet JacksonJanet Jackson has just suffered a record malfunction. TMZ has obtained the latest numbers for her new album, and it is tanking big time.

The CD debuted three weeks ago, selling 296,873 copies. The second week, sales plunged 74% to 77,240 units. The typical second week drop is 40%.

TMZ has just obtained figures for third week sales, and it's not too early to declare Janet's latest effort a disaster. Sales dropped to 42,240 units, a 45% plunge from the second week.

Janet's CD debuted at number two on the charts, dropped to number nine the second week and then went down to number 19 the third week.

So far, Janet's CD has sold 416,353 units. We're told Virgin Records stocked the stores with 1.2 million copies. We're guessing the 99¢ Only store is about to get a big shipment.

TMZ called a rep for Virgin, so far we have not received a response.

mar

Face it , the superbowl incident ruined her with mainstream America. It has NOTHINGto do with Jermaine, he is a huge talent.

Also, the fact that Micheal Jackson is her brother does have some influence. Another factor is, she has beenway promoting her weight loss to the point of overshadowing her album.

I am not bitter torwards her, in fact , I like Ms J. but she has a lot riding against her, more then she thought.

mar

#62, If Justin had no idea that she was going to flash her boob on front of billions of people, why should he suffer? I do not think for one second that it was a mistake.

The superbowl is a FAMILY event, not an MTV video, not a movie, but a sporting event, and I have to say, it was beyond poor taste.

I am not a conservative person at all, but why would Virgin not promote her as heavy after that incident? Because she is now a turn off to the mainstream, and that is where you see record sales.

Omar

Just for everyone Information.... Janet has had to promote this album with most of her own money. Virgin is not pushing the record as much as they could be. let me break it down for all the ignorant haters that have already posted on this thread. IT WAS JUST A 2 SECOND CLIP OF BOOBS. REALITY CHECK: your parents had sex to bring you into this world. If you wanna be realistic, you were suckin' on your moms boob for about 2 years out of your childhood. Its a boob, it proves how far behind america really is. It's a damn shame. There are so many people in this world who didn't care. Why is SEX such a shameful thing? it's what brought us into this world. FIGURE THIS ONE OUT -- Mariah Carey who was signed to Virgin for a 23 million dollar contract, did an album then virgin records didn't like so they paid her out for 30 million. Jermaine Dupri who is an employee for Virgin records goes out and does her next record and it's a smash hit. That has to make someone at Virgin angry, They lose 8 million in a deal and one of their employees goes and makes her a smach comeback album? so now we have Janet who is jermaines girlfriend, virgin isn't going to push her album because the whole conflict of interest. Albums do well with promotion, virgin just ain't cutting their part of the deal. Janet has two records left in her contract, I hope she does a greatest hits and a remix album to just fade out the contract so she can move to a better label. Janet will always have her fans and PS-- the numbers on those sales for the first week are invalid. You can check it out on Neilsen Sound Scan, but you have to get a membership. Janet's album sold over 500,000 units in its first week. Please people, get your facts right! geesh.

Rick

i AM SO F***ING SICK OF THE jACKSONS-nO WHERE IS JUSTINS VOICE OR NAME ON THIS PIECE OF SH*T SHE RELEASED-20 YEARS AND ITS TIME TO HANG IT UP JANET-YOU AND YOUR FAMILY WILL FAIL FROM NOW ON. HEY JUSTINS CD IS DOING QUITE WELL, WHY BECAUSE HE IS NOT AS F***ED UP AS THOSE ASSWIPES JACKSON DYNASTY AND DIE-NASTY DESCRIBES WHAT THE WORLD WANTS FROM HER AND HER DYSFUCTIONAL FAMILY. THE JACKSONS ARE ALWAYS BLAMING SOMEONE ELSE FOR THEIR FAILURES WHEN WHEN THIS FREAKISH FAMILY SHOULD JUST LOOK IN THE MIRROR, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE FAILURES, LIARS AND BACKSTABBERS, PEDOPHILES, INCEST, AND I BET THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT. THEY CAME FROM SLIMEBALL PARENTS AND THATS WHAT WE GET SLIME BALL JACKSONS.

Rick

48. Since when is having your album go platinum a failure? Since when is having the #2 album is the country a flop? Janet is a great artist regardless of record sales. I'm usually not feeling what the rest of America considers to be talented. We are talking about a country that praises people like Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake. People go by hype these days. It not really about what's fresh. It's not really about real talent anymore. Please, some of the best singer's albums don't even debut on the charts, so Janet is actually doing well. You don't have to be at #1 to be a success.

Posted at 5:10AM on Oct 19th 2006 by Harold

learn to read stupid ass harold by the way what a hokey name harooooold, she did not go platinum-she only sold 276,000 copies with 1.2 million in stores, thats is why she made it to number 2-276,000 idiots bought this piece if sh*t-since then there have been a 40% drop in her sales over the last two weeks. so get your sh*t together before you say she sold a million copies...janet fans are like her live in some f***ing dream world and not take responsibilties for her faiures. 20 years is a bons fide failure...as someone here says her last three albums all sound alike-like some little girl trying to sing grown up songs

Harold

#67

Normally, I would not waist my time arguing with such ignorant trash such as yourself, Latoya. However, I will clarify that when I spoke a Janet's platinum album, I was referring to "Damita Jo" which sold well over a million copies but was considered a flop. Janet's fans don't have to live in a dream world because we know the truth. Janet is and always will be a legend regardless of any amount of hate that comes from a pathetic waist of ahuman being such as yourself. I pray to God that you are under the age of 13. If you are any older then your post only proves my point. Our country is in deep deep trouble.

Sergio Ramirez

#70- SPEAK THE TRUTH!! You truly are a sad, ignorant, dumb ass girl Latoya. She did debut # 2, but #1 on the Hip-Hop R&B album charts, according to Billboard. Her first single 'Call on Me' hit # 1 and was there a few weeks, then moved to # 2, and is back at #1 this week. This makes Janets 17th #1 single. Failure?? I think not! This album will go on to sell more and be successful. Most artist don't last more then 20 yrs and Janet has. I will just stop now, cause apparently me and Harold have waisted TOO MUCH VALUABLE time we will never get back on your stupid ass Latoya. Looks like Latoya is the idiot...which by the way, your name is after Latoya Jackson...humm, does that make u mad? LOL!!

stinka

I've been down what Janet since she was Penny on Good Times. But, I've had it with overselling of sex... There's nothing subtle about her approach... it's all in my face, and to me, it overshadows any attempts to pay attention to her music. I haven't bought her albums since Design of a Decade. Also, she needs to make music for her age group. 20 year olds don't won't to hear a hip hop /r &b/dance music singing(or whispering) 40 yr old.

Nora

jla

Latoya, have you thought to seek help with this obvious obsession you have w/ the jackson family failing. I think deep down you want to be a Jackson, but your looks and idiocy stopped you from being JANET. You are over, JANET will never be over. If Janet decided to never make another album she will go down in history. You are just left leaving nasty messages on a forum.

Zoe

It's pretty hard to be a successful mainstream artist when your record label and channels like MTV refuse to play you or give you any promotion. Such hypocrisy, really. People are still whining about the superbowl like they don't see anything a thousand times worse in rap videos. And of course, Justin Timberlake is the one who RIPPED the thing off and he claimed he had nothing to do with it and his career didn't suffer a blemish. Honestly, I can't believe how deep the hypocrisy has run on this, from the side of the music industry all the way over to the public who watch people getting murdered and mutilated on TV all day and complain about a boob. How depressing, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Artistry doesn't have a place in today's world of reality TV and mindless and original mass consumption.

Bertha Fox-Dominguez

I bought the album because I'm a big fan, and I really hated it at first, but I really like it now. There's nothing wrong with it, yet it tanked. She's done, let's face it. What a humiliation Damita Jo was, with not one Top 40 hit. Now this! Janet is an incredible performer, and has a very cute voice, but she can't sing. It's incredible that she's one of the most successful acts of all time, but that part of her life is over. I think she should do a sit-com, or focus on acting.

noonelikeher

Wow, are we still commenting on the Superbowl? Amazing. Especially in a society where there are far more important issues going on. LIke an unnecessary war and unemployment just to name a few. Images of murder and sex on every tv show is encouraged right? For entertainment value I guess.
But then again, can't be too surprised that Janet's album is not doing well. America is such the expert on morality that we can't forgive people's mistakes while silently sweeping our own under the rug. I forgot, that's how this nation works, we never turn the mirror on ourselves.
I for one have bought every Janet album because I was a fan 20 years ago and still am. Music has changed. People enjoyed Janet when she was at her best i.e. CONTROL and the self titled JANET album. The barely there clothing magazine covers, the emphasis on her body - sure, I don't think it was necessary to promote this album. But I am not going to criticize a grown woman for doing what she wants to do. Janet, if no one else feels the way I do, that's fine. Keep doing your thang for as long as you can. There will always be negative people and folks trying to pull you down. The test is can you rise above it?

renee

She's just a fat washed up old woman now!

Will

74. Who cares about how many albums she's sold, she's still a washed up has been today in the year 2006. And today is what matters and leave Latoya alone her post told the truth and you Janet fans cant handle the truth.

Posted at 8:21PM on Oct 19th 2006 by kelly

Well after on 3 weeks on the charts she has sold more then Cassie, Fergie, Jerssica Simpson and all these other HOT stars on the charts now. I don't think you can handle the truth Kelly/Latoya.