Keith Urban Enters Rehab

10/20/2006 4:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It appeared his life was picture perfect, but now Keith Urban says he's been battling alcohol abuse and has entered a treatment rehabilitation center.

According to a statement issued by Urban's publicist, the country singer checked himself in last night with Nicole Kidman, his wife of four months, by his side.

Urban says, "I deeply regret the hurt this has caused Nicole and the ones that love and support me." He adds, "One can never let one's guard down on recovery and I'm afraid that I have."

Urban's statement ends with this message: "With the strength and unwavering support I am blessed to have from my wife, family and friends, I am determined and resolved to a positive outcome."

This is not Urban's first stint in rehab. The singer sought help in late 1998 for drug and alcohol abuse. Urban, who has admitted to free basing cocaine, once told USA Weekend Magazine "I had this house in Nashville where I used to do drugs. ... I remember one night crawling around on my hands and knees, looking for these little rocks at five in the morning."

All immediate appearances by Urban have been postponed.

Lauren

O my god. Just what Nicole needs after her awful divorce from Tom. She goes and marries an alcoholic womanizing loser!!!!!! You didnt want a womanizing musician thats why you dumped Lenny and then you go for Keith.

L.S

nicole is nothing but a ice princess bitch & a horrible mother i believe she drove keith to drink!!!

Anonymous 4

Just curious...do any of you think this marriage is going to last? Seems rather peculiar that they married four months ago, then they have two different careers going on which take them in opposit venues...her on location and him on tour...how easy it for musicians t really kicked the temptations of booze and how often is she going to be able to baby-sit him? I'm thinking of Renee Zwelleger and Kate Moss and her Pete and look at Kate Hudson and her husband from the Blavk Crowes...seems that being married to musicians is hell...and I'm wondering do the ones who have stayed with their famous musician men...do they turn a blind eye to their men's antics?

in the know

I think it is interesting that he was sober for 8 years until now. He has only been married for a short time. Perhaps the constant scrutiny of the media all the time was a contributing factor. He wasn't hounded by the press so closely until he hooked up with Nicole. Mayble he has slipped in the past but he didn't have Nicole looking over his shoulder. I wish him the best!

gena

I totally agree with Laurie#89 : can't stand Nicole! after all I prefer Tom : he's a bit crazy but at least is a good guy...I think that the Nic- keith is a bad match: NOTHING IN COMMON!!!!!!!

Donna

concerning "by I'm just saying's" attitude. You have some serious problems. Sounds like you could use a little help yourself. Those who have not sinned cast the first stone. Famous, infamous, ordinary, poor, or rich, we are all just people living our lives and we should lift each other up not judge and tear each other down. You have problems you need to look at your choices(attitude is a choice) not spend time judging others. I wish Nicole and Keith God's grace and strength to get through this. Donna

wishin him well

#6 You have got to be kidding did you forget in those 25 years of watching how nascar got started, you know a thing called prohibition and the supply of moonshine or should I say the Illegal supply of shine
At any rate I am someone who went through rehab 24 years ago and it is not easy, especially in his chosen field. The music industry is a very hard place to try and stay clean, the bottom line is if he wants it bad enough he can get there....Good Luck Keith !!!!!!

NashvilleGirl

To all you people who are so quick to judge, Keith has had this alcohol problem for years now. That's old news...his albums are full of songs about his adiction. Nicole knew what she was getting herself into. Actually, they are a very lovely couple. I live a few blocks away from them and run into them occasionaly at spas, starbucks etc. As for Nicole's children, they actually come to Nashville to visit. Just because she doesn't like being photographed with them doesn't mean she isn't a good mother. Actually, she told the clerk at Wild Oats she cooks for them. Keith probably had one drink and flipped since he's been sober for many years now. People need to stay out of their business and let them be which is exactly why they live in Nashville so the public don't spectualte about every aspect of their marriage.

arabella

I read a blurb in People mag (the one out before this news broke) where Nicole was saying she didn't think being sexually faithful mattered but being "emotionally unfaithful" was another story.

What the hell? No wonder the guy got boozed up and started screwing around again.

Sorry but she asks for this kind of drama in her life with her choices.

im just sayin

Hey #81 here is an idea tell your drunkin mom DONT PICK UP THE BOTTLE Im just sayin

Steve

I have a nurse friend who works over at Cumberland Heights the rehab facility where Urban is. She said the real reason that he entered rehab is that he was caught cheating with another woman by Nicole. He wasn't even drunk at the time but Nicole knew that eventually the story would get out or that the woman would spill the beans so she told Keith he better say he was drunk and go into rehab. She demanded this so she wouldn't look like a fool when it came out that Urban was cheating on her after they just got married. This way it could be blamed on the alcohol. Otherwise people would be wondering if Nicole was poor in the sack that he'd be cheating so soon but when the story comes out people will say oh it was the alcohol that made him act without thinking. Nicole actually wanted Keith to orignally say he was on drugs because they alter ones perception way more than alcohol but he refused to claim substance abuse because he could lose his record deal over that. Alcohol isn't a big deal but drugs are and his fans and his label would be way more forgiving of drink than drugs. Personally I wonder if Nicole is a dud in the sack because my nurse friend said Keith is already chatting up some cuties at the facility, fellow patients and nurses alike.

someone

by racer: I don't believe the " I have a friend that said" any more than I believe the rag mags!

Donna Wallace

She wouldn't give Tom the satisfaction, for her marriage not working. She will stay by his side to make a statement.

Barb

Let's just give the guy a break and wish him well. It's easy for us to sit here and snipe, hiding behind our keyboards. Addiction, of any kind, is an illness that needs to be treated.

christina callas

Hollywood and the music industry is a sham. Agents stage fake Marriages for homosexuals so their female fans and actress who are lesbians marry, so their male fans won't know their gay. WAKE UP This is a fake marriage. Nicole is known in Australia as being a lesbian and he is known as gay too!! remember Tom cruise paying off a gay magazine not to release his photos. WAKE UP AMERICA!!! Rock Hudson!!! Media planned marriages still go on today. It's a huge Cover Up!!!!! He is no role model with his drinking!!!
NO BIG NEWS DOWN UNDER