Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe

Split

10/30/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_200-1Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple's rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says "We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

reese-ryanSources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon's 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was "cumulative."

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Michelle

wow this was a shock to me because they just recently had another child and ii thought they made a great couple i mean they have been together quite long just didn't see this happening, but in life shit happens thats why we must be prepare for anything the good and the bad. i wish them luck ..

JACK TEMPLETON 2nd

DREAMS ARE FOREVER OR AT LEAST UNTIL FAITH DESOLVES......

STEPPING BACK ONTO THE CLOUDS IS REESES ONLY DIRECTION....

Hannah

I think that if he really did cheat on her he is not a very smart man... Who cheats on Reese Witherspoon?! He is hot don't get me wrong but, REESE WITHERSPOON?! Come on now... I do think that it is sad though... It would be nice to see a couple in Hollywood last...

SUN

This divorce does surprise me, but not really its Hollywood.
I think they are both gret parents and will continue to be. I dont think we will ever really know what went wrong in this marriage, nor should we. I do think Ryan deserves half of all the money and property. He stayed home while Reese worked with his daughter Ava her whole life. He amy not have been a big star like Reese, but he could have found a job doing something. He devoted his life to his kids and this allowed Reese to do her own thing without having guilt because their kids where with their dad.

Jilly

In all honesty I was rooting more for them compared to Brit and K-Fed (the boy can't rap nor sing) Although, Reese does seem to like being in complete control Ryan needs to grow up as well, maybe as they get older if they part on good terms maybe, just maybe they can work it out better. They married too young and jumped into their relationship too fast. They handle parenting quite well because they have the best intentions and its obvious their both hurt by this and also I think Ryan is extremely scare hence why he resorted to cheating and also probably a little bored and insincere with the whole "she makes more than him" But, yes, its sad, but also, its inevitable in Hollywood.

Melanie

I saw it comming.. He was always wayyy too serious at her premiers/ award shows.

ya dig!

they were a cute couple i really thought that they would last but i think celeberites hooking up would never work out anyway cause too much jealousy i just hope thier divorce dont get ugly like k -lame and wierdo britney spears

Diaha Hoblet

Can't see what she saw in him in the first place. Can't believe she actually married him. Don't want to be mean, but you could see in the beginning where their respective careers were headed and that it would become a problem.

wolf

If Jay Leno ever gets divorced and Reese procreates with him, their children will have the longest chins in the world.

Pam

Some of you people are just unkind. Reese and Ryan were in love once and it is really sad that something has torn them apart. Their children will now be living in a broken home, which try as you may, is never as good or secure to the kids as a two parent family. I fell bad for Reese, Ryan and the kids.

fdodgerfan

LOL........#620

Richard

Wow, there are some dumb people on here.
Who cares how much money either one makes? If you're married, you should be earning for the family, not for yourself.

and as to the "male ego" not being able to handle the wife earning more, that's complete and utter tripe and a gross generalization.

Grow up people.

Kim Kendy

I saw it coming 5 years ago when I partied with Ryan in a limo with 6 other women. He was the ONLY man !!. He was not shy !! If you tried to talk about Reece, he would say something like "its over anyway". I'm from Hollywood Ca. Seen it ALL !! Brad and Angie won't last either, WATCH and see !! HA HA !! What a fight that is gonna be, Brad's in way over his head with this psycho !! Anyone who would HIRE A HITMAN to kill their self isn't quite playin with a full deck !! This could get very scary for Brad. So folks, Be careful what you wish for ladies and gents !! You just may get it :(

victor

i feel so bad. i really love them both so much. i wish there was a way to bring them back together. i wish them both luck all the same.

Michael

625
I wasn't impressed when I met him. Visually, he has the average, skate-boarder boy next door look. Reese on the other hand was very sweet.

I didn’t speak to him much, but if he walked out on her, my guess is he would walk out on all of you blogers.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments