Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe

Split

10/30/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_200-1Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple's rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says "We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

reese-ryanSources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon's 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we're told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was "cumulative."

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.

D. Reese

These two have been sitting and arguing at a booth at The Brentwood Restaurant for a long time.
Everyone could hear them!

Shannon

Their zodiac signs are not a mach. I saw it coming. She's an Aries and Ryan is a Virgo, they were never perfect for eachother :)

SouthernGirl

I don't know why I'm surprised, but I'm shocked. They seemed grounded and family oriented. Darn. I guess nothing in Hollywood lasts.

racer

he's a loser and she looks like she's be ZERO fun in the sack. Can't understand what went wrong there..... LOL!!

Still having it at 70

Ryan is laid back stoner while Reese is an uptight mega bitch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it possible that your opinion of Reese is more of a projection of yourself?

fred

i hate to see this happen, but to tell you the truth, i would take reese even if she had nothing. but i do wish them both the best.

Phil

WHOOOOO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

milly

Yes, they were rumors about this but i was hoping it wasnt true...They look so great together..what a shame!!

moretocome

Over 50% of all marriages fail in America. I'm guessing the stats are a bit higher for celebrity couples. Sad I like both these actors.

Carol

very sad but i figured she was a much better actress and he never seemed to happy when she won an award . Always seemed to me he was pouting at the awards . and the male ego ohh well , Hope he does not try for spousal support.

Sara

Good for Linsday Lohan right,she'll be on Ryan before the divorice is even final. I mean she loves used goods. That's why she took Paris and Kate's ex's. Watch out Ryan here comes FIRE CROTCH!!!!!!!!!

I Love Rock n' Roll

Their situation must be REALLY bad for her to file for divorce. If her (and his) earnings estimates are correct, she stands to shell out MEGA MOOLAH to him in order to say BUH BYE!

Happy spending Ryan! Take the money and RUN!

Rocio Barajas

I am very proud and admire their marriage. They have been a good example regardless, what goes on behind closed doors. It's sad, but it seems to be for the best or they wouldn't have chosen this route. Good luck to both and best wishes to their beautiful children.

John

I'm not sure why we talking about them to begin with. Hoe-llywood is all about fame and money. When you got lots of it why stay married? Its kinda hard to stay married... They always have thier tongues in someone else's mouth while making movies. That might be a starting point for break ups.

Nicole

I seen it coming. She has become more successful than him. That is difficult for some men to handle. It is sad, because of their children. But, if they are better people apart, they will in turn be better parents as well.