Brad's Unauthorized Vanity Fair Cover

10/31/2006 7:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt struts his stuff on the cover of December's Vanity Fair -- and TMZ has learned that no one was more surprised to see the steamy cover on stands than Brad himself.
Brad Pitt on Vanity Fair.
A source close to Pitt tells TMZ that Brad shot the photos, taken by artist Robert Wilson, in September 2005, but didn't have any idea at the time -- or anytime since -- that they would be used for the cover of VF. Pitt had agreed to be in Wilson's avant-garde video art project last year, and signed a legal release at the time for the still and video images taken in the shoot. But until the Vanity Fair cover emerged this week, Pitt didn't know that he would be the magazine's coverboy.

Reps for Vanity Fair tell TMZ, "In a letter dated October 5, 2006, and sent to Pitt care of Brillstein-Grey [Pitt's managers], Wilson informed Pitt that a still image from his portrait was going to be featured in the December art issue of Vanity Fair." A source says that Pitt never saw the letter.

Pitt's lawyers are said to be weighing their legal options. His rep gave the following statement to TMZ: "We are very disappointed that Vanity Fair has chosen to put an unauthorized cover on their magazine. It seriously makes me question their integrity and motives."

A rep for Vanity Fair tells TMZ: "Brad Pitt posed for a Robert Wilson video portrait, and in the photo release (signed by Pitt), agreed to allow Wilson to use the portrait or any images from that sitting in connection with any publicity on Brad copies his loversWilson's video project. Vanity Fair decided to do a story on Wilson's video portraits and obtained rights to the entire collection of photographs from those sittings, which included Pitt's."

Svolich

1) No Brillstein Grey clients give interviews to VF (and any interviews they give to freelancers have an exception in the release that it cannot be sold to VF)

2) No BG clients work with Wilson.

It's the tactic that George Clooney used against Hard Copy a few years ago. They're gone, he's still working.

Brian

What is fuss all about Brad Pitt Upset over VF cover of Brad Pitt's Boxer. I would have to see him Underwear breif instead Boxer. I personally hate boxer but prefer boxer breif or Underwear Breif. Hey Brad, Take it and I am sure you will get over. If I was like you. I didnt mind do the VF Cover because I am Deaf Actor. Keep up good work and Brad, keep up good work too. From Brian Buckley

SMASH

um all i have to say is Brad Pitt is one beautiful person and i love the pic!!!!
xoxo

Miserable Afflecks

#75 How do you know his personality has changed? I always hear that and I realize people who make those comments aren't really fans and haven't listened much to him as his career has grown. He's pretty consistent to me, but hey.

He looks good on this cover, but I think VF is playing games to. They shouldn't go their, they are supposedly respectable but they are acting like a tabloid. I wonder who the editor is. Even JA had to comment on Larry King that she was portrayed negatively in her article. She said they made her out to be this big whiny crier and I tend to believe her now.

Anyway, the public is going to use this as more of a reason to tear BP down, so hate away.

John

GET LIVES!

de Cosmos

Brad Pitt naked nude nu nudo despido desnudo nackt nekkid :

erin

#13 I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! WENTWORTH MILLER IS SOOOOOOOOOO HOT.

Eli

#77 I f you backtrack Brad youll notice he changes hair color, clothes and personalities with every girl, I dont know why?

Then again your right Im not a fan, never have been but Im not blind either!

matthew carter

who cares? demi moore was pregnant and fully naked on the cover and it was cool and provocative. brad pitt is a perfect cover boy for vf. wilson is somewhat of an artf$g, but an artist, nonetheless (and i have met him). the only thing that pitt needs to do is not press charges in this matter and go back to making groundbreaking movies and making love to angelina jolie.

Cynthia

So Brad "dresses" to the right. Who cares. He obviously takes very good care of his body. Most likely because he wants to show it off. I think he looks mighty fine!

BILL SMITH

YOU ARE SHEA: THE BOXERS ARE A POOR FIT. TOO LOOSE.

Victoria

I don't find the man a bit attractive, he just gives me the heebie jeebie's ever since he adorned the tabloids and tv with that god awlful beard and long hair almost tipping the scale of the "homeless look" no thanks! and I know I dont have to sleep with the guy and he is far from my circle of life....but good land he sickens me. So he is in his skivies and socks that is another yuck poor Brad doesn't rank in my book... maybe if he was barefoot that would be more appealing and some decent hair then maybe he would look nicer and more appealing. I know what it is too that makes me sick of him is when he said he would not marry "big lips" unless the rest of the world could marry freely ie gays. Why not just say I dont plan on marrying her!

That's my few cents and that's all she wrote!

max

this is'nt sour grapes either but pitts body is the pitts. this is what american men are supposed to look like to turn women and men on? i'm 59 and my body is way nicer and defined than his.work out brad and get some muscles. your just trim and average,like your acting.........and your 40 and starting to show your age.........hehehe now's the time to get really busy......age is no respecter of persons but hard dedicated workouts can still have heads turning when your an old boy!!

Michelle

AWESOME picture...Brad should be proud!

Scott

Oh good lord..it's a photo, yea Brad is who he is, hot or not, but still it's just a photo. I could understand if it's was a nude photo and it clearly isn't. I could also understand if the photo itself was to be used for some sup rising situation and Vanity Fair up and stole it or beat them to the punch, however would it be any different if the same picture was posted on any newspaper, compared to being on a magazine cover. Wait, I'll stand there and let someone take my picture just like that...Vanity Fair can use mine instead...I won't complain!!!....Legal crap my %$#.