Prince to Play Private Gig, Launch Show in Vegas

10/31/2006 5:42 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

PrinceSources tell TMZ that Prince is playing an invitation only, private event at Club Rio tonight in Las Vegas -- marking the start of his taking up residence at the hotel as a permanent performer.

Rumors have been swirling for months that Prince would take over Club Rio (located inside the Rio hotel) and re-name it 3121, the same name given to his last album. Nothing official has been announced, but sources tell us that renovations have been done to the club in less than a week's time to prepare for tonight's festivities.

The club's normal days of operation are Thursday, Friday and Saturday -- so opening up on a Tuesday might be a way for the club to host the concert on the down low.

Prince's official website, 3121.com, has an image of the Rio with Prince's logo and 3121 plastered across the building. The website then plays one of Prince's songs as images of Prince and other related artists fade in and out in the background.

Rumors circling the Internet say Prince would perform once or twice a week at the club, with other artists playing shows the other nights of the week.

Calls to reps for the Rio were not immediately returned.

A story also surfaced earlier this year that Prince would play the halftime show at next year's Super Bowl.

princess

just back from vegas.. saw him at rio...he IS AWESOME!!!..an incredibly talented MAN... vegas has a new KING...his name is PRINCE... loved the intimate club scene but he really should be on the strip

Wicked

homo mo fo...just for you sarcasm. Enjoy

sylvia

prince who? lmao

Shae

This is true i live in Las Vegas and some people have FREE tickets to go see him...

Did someone say...buttplugs?

Good for him, I hope he makes a ton of dough!

Missy

"Prince who"...I could say the same thing to you about some of the music you all listen to, but I wouldn't because just because I don't know who they are doesn't mean they aren't good. Ya know? I'm older, but I don't believe that all of the new stuff is "crap". AND there's a lot of stuff that was before my time even that is awesome. The more open your mind...the more music you get to enjoy...that's my motto.

I hope he does start playing there...then I'll finally maybe get a chance to see him.

Sammy Davis, Jr.

I will totally be there to get me some black sweat.

No Need For A Name

Prince is an amazing artist. I also love how he represents for our hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota!

eve

I am a 42 year old mother of two (20 and 15) and have been listening to Prince since the "butt out jeans" days and he will always be the Prince of all music for me and my kids !!!

bobgeorge

People with out EYES can't!!!!!Wheres YR MIND AT??????????????

shell

I have been to a Prince and had excellent seats. I would go again any day. He puts on an awesome show.

Sillyme

he's a weirdo..

L.S

I really don't get why people think he's so great!! His music isn't that good and he is so strange (doesn't talk) in a weird way he's alot like michael jackson.

TomM

He lookth tho thweet in that picthure.

LongJohn69

How will they make that puny little punk look good next to those amazon show-girls. I believe he only stands tall enough to have his nose poke right into their.....nevermind. No wonder he's a ladies man.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments