No Prenup

In Witherspoon-Phillippe

Split

11/1/2006 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

reese_ryan_excl_getty_200-1TMZ has learned that Reese Witherspoon's fortune is fair game as her marriage to Ryan Phillippe comes to an end-- specifically, there is no prenup.

The financial consequences are enormous. Witherspoon now commands $20 million a movie. In 2005, Witherspoon raked in a total of $30 million for two movies, "Just Like Heaven" and "Walk the Line."

Phillippe has been commanding around $2.5 million a film, making him bankable, but clearly not in his estranged wife's league.reese-ryan

Under California law, without a prenup, earnings during a marriage are divided up 50/50.

Connected sources also tell TMZ on a scale of one to ten, one being a peaceful breakup and ten being Hasselhoff, the Witherspoon/Phillippe split is a three. And, we're told, it will almost certainly stay peaceful, partly because of the children and partly because of the couple's personalities.

We're told there is no talk of reconciliation and that divorce papers are merely a matter of time.

Deborah

X, while it's true that the law is the law. Sometimes the law leaves moral justice out of the balance. Since it is more than likely that she will retain custody of the children, and because he is the reason for the breakup, I do not think he is entitled to anything.

MAYTHA

WELL IT'S LIKE THEY SAY, "HOLLYWOOD MARRIAGES DON'T LAST FOREVER"

Kai

I DON' T KNOW THE SITUATION RE THE TWO OF THEM. ITS SAD THOUGH THAT THEY ARE SPLITTING. THEY WERE SO CUTE TOGETHER AND SO PRIVATE WITH THEIR RELATIONSHIP. ITS SAD TO SEE A BEAUTIFUL COUPLE FALL APART.
IF HE WAS CHEATING ON HER, THEN HE IS STUPID. SHE IS SO TALENTED AND BEAUTIFUL. HE PROBABLY WAS JUST INSECURE ABOUT BEING BENEATH HER IN THE MOVIE BUSINESS.
EITHER WAY, I AM SURE SHE WILL DO OK. AS FOR HIM....EHHH....NOT SO MUCH.

MAYTHA

WELL IT'S LIKE THEY SAY, "HOLLYWOOD MARRIAGES DON'T
LAST FOREVER"

Stella

There's two sides to every story. I read...quite a while ago....that she was so obsessed with her career that she had become kind of a pain in the neck. That it came first...ahead of her marriage....and everything else. So unless we were there...?

Anyili

I thought they were a GREAT couple and im sad to see them split
shes one of my favorite actress' and i love her to death
im glad they're being civil about it, since they have kids and all
so good luck to both of them w/ future projects and etc.

CeCe

This is very sad. Reese is such a classy lady. More women should follow her example about what womanhood and motherhood is all about. Being married myself I hope they work things out because there are so few legitimate families out there with a mother and father who are acutally married to each other. Although I don't blame her if she does divorce him because he was unfaithful.

Mike

I'm sick of these hollywood people getting divorces and everyone feeling bad for them. It happens to tons of people everyday. Poor Reese and Ryan will have to split their million$.... he'll pan out well.. about time the guy comes out on top. The end of a marriage is always sad, especially when kids are involved, but don't get suckered into feeling more sadness just because they're in the public eye.

Jerry

Go for the gold baby!

Amy

This is really sad, BUT, she is such a happy person, always smiling, if you see almost every picture he looks like a TOTAL A*HOLE!!!! I hope she gets through all this happily, yet I know she will because she is a wonderful person, I hope he drowns in sorrow missing her and the life that she once gave him !!

nichole

In a divorce, everything is 50/50. If it was a guy making more than the female then she would still get half. why should it be any different.? I am a female but I think it should be the same.

Russ

I there was no pre nup, I think is fine with this couple...based on their agreement, when one will work, the other will look after the family matters, in this case the kids.. 50/50 is just fair.-

Carol

Let his new girl support him , Reese has 2 little ones to support , I hear this is not the first time either he has cheated , any man who wlll take support I have no respect for , Let him make his own money , Now if a women is a stay at home mom and has given up her career for kids and husband then she should get support , But he is as free as a bird let him spend his own money on the new women not Reese's

Robert

some of these post are so damn funny, None of us have an inside clue of what these people are really like or what the true problems of there relaionship are, we only know what we see in the Media, and god knows normally there is only a small hint of what the truth is, I feel very bad for them, I thought they were a great couple its very sad, and a damn shame that they have to live under constant prying Eyes of the public Judging them about things that we have No clue, i wish them both luck and hope that they are able to deal with it in private, and not all over the news, America has become a very sad place , when stuff like this sells Magazines!

Brig

For those of you asked about whether adultery, if he committed it, will affect what Ryan gets, it will not. California is a no-fault state, meaning one spouse could do it with chimps hanging from the chandelier and the money would still be split down the middle -- 50/50.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments