"Lost" Diary: The Cost of Living

11/2/2006 2:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Back again with another edition of the "Lost" diary. This week's promos have hyped a castmember dying on the show. What better way to shock and entertain your audience than announcing your big plot points in your commercials? If ABC had marketed The Sixth Sense, the trailers would have said, "One of the people you think is alive in this movie is really dead." Have I mentioned how much I hate promos?

Ok, I'm fine now. Anyway, we only have one more new episode after tonight, so let's gobble up all the island goodness we can. As always, I watch Lost with a group of friends, and I write down what I see. This week I am joined by Ari, Lauren and April. On with the show ...

9:01 -- Eko flashback time. Seems that the themes of tonight's episode will be confession and sin -- and boy does Eko have his fair share of that.

9:03 -- And Eko's brother's ghost just confirms that. This has to be the only show on TV where getting killed off doesn't mean you're out of the show, except for All My Children.

9:05 -- Lauren has already proclaimed, "I don't know if I'm going to like this episode." That's the attitude. And a delusional Eko has just run off into the jungle. I'm sure he'll be fine.

9:09 -- Jack has decided to use his captivity time to get in shape. Henry Gale, on other hand, is now dressing like a cult leader -- oh wait, that kinda makes sense. And, oh by the way, the fact that Jack is asking Henry about the tumor just confirms my theory that the x-rays we saw last week belong to Locke. Or, at the least, Henry doesn't know he has a tumor.

9:10 -- Colleen funeral time. The whole "everyone dressed in white thing" isn't creepy at all. By the way, if Juliet walked into this room right now, Lauren would stab her in the neck with a pen. I wonder if she stirs up those feelings in every female viewer.

9:12 -- "Why did you show him my X-rays?" -- Henry Gale. Well, there goes my cool new X-ray theory. Man, I was feeling kinda smart there for awhile.

9:13 -- Locke, Sayid and Desmond are discussing strategy. Charlie said that Eko just kept saying "my brother" over and over again -- did it occur to anyone he could just be doing an impression of Desmond? And if I were missing, I wouldn't want Charlie and Hurley to be the search party looking for me.

9:14 -- Eko is adjusting to life as a priest. If he's in his brother's church, shouldn't someone in the village recognize him, considering he grew up there?

9:16 -- Guess what's is back? That's right, it's creepy black smoke time.

9:20 -- Locke has invited people to join his crew headed to the Pearl and the new guys are going to come along. These two do not fit in AT ALL. I am trying to be open-minded, but they stand out like a sore thumb -- I can't put my finger on why.

9:22 -- All of Eko's flashbacks today are leading up to him confessing his sins. If the island itself had a theme, it would be redemption and second chances. Will Eko get his?

9:24 -- So is the black smoke afraid of Eko? He stood up to it twice, and both times the smoke took off.

9:29 -- Ok, everytime we get an extended scene between Henry Gale and Jack, I get a little giddy. Some people complain about this season, but one thing that hasn't been lacking AT ALL is the writing. Instead of summing up this exchange, I am just going to give you three Henry Gale quotes that I immediately had to write down:

"We had such a wonderful plan to break you Jack."
"I want you to want to save my life."
"Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky."

It's now official: There is no better character on TV right now.

9:34 -- My favorite thing about Eko flashbacks: the accents. If a book on tape were read by Eko, I would definitely buy it.

9:37 -- Eko's brother's body has disappeared. Of course it has.

9:42 -- I am not a religious man, but I think slaughtering people in a church is probably the kind of thing you need to go to confession for.

9:44 -- Hey, new girl has a theory about the monitors! OK, now the sound of her voice is starting to irk me. Everyone else on the island, and maybe I'm crazy here, actually SOUNDS like they have been on the island for 70 days. The new guys sound like they just walked out of their trailer. And yes, I noticed the guy with the eye patch -- I just have no idea what to make of him.

9:46 -- I was literally typing in "Juliet's apology is bullshit" when she started to play her version of the INXS video "Mediate" (Sorry for the random reference). OK, I'll get into Juliet more later, but I don't believe A WORD that comes out of her mouth... or anything she writes cue cards. Great scene though.

9:53 -- Eko's actions haven't gone over well in the village. But now we know why Eko built a church on the island -- he "owed" his brother one.

9:55 -- Eko's confession didn't go over well with his brother's ghost -- and yes, I feel silly typing sentences like that but with this show, you get used to it. Oh and again, Eko's confession: incredibly well-written. I forgive Eko, even if his brother's ghost doesn't...

9:57 -- ...which it sure doesn't look like he did. Whatever ABC paid for the black smoke special effects, they got gypped.

9:59 -- RIP Mr. Eko.

10:00 -- "He said, 'We're next.'" -- Locke.

Mildly reeling here, but time to figure out what we learned...

The new people suck... when the ghost of your brother asks you to confess, maybe you should... If the actors who play Michael and Walt got paid for the first five episodes, everyone should hire their agents.

Alright, we have two things to talk about here: Eko's death and Juliet's attempts to get Jack to kill Henry. Let's start with Eko -- I think we all saw this coming (man I hate ABC commercials). Here's the reason why I can totally understand Eko's death: he asked for it. As I said before, the theme of the island is redemption. When Eko's brother (aka the island) gave Eko the chance to confess his sins, and he turned them down, he basically gave the island the finger. So the island killed him. In the universe of "Lost," I totally get that.

There was actually debate in the room after the Juliet and Jack scene about whether or not Juliet is evil. For me, it's a no-brainer. I have said all along that I believe Henry Gale when he says he's the good guy. He's the guy with all the answers, so I believe every word he says. Juliet, on the other hand, as Sawyer was able to decipher in about two seconds, is not to be trusted. I don't even want to entertain the notion of Henry Gale getting killed. I think I would wear all black to work the next day.

This episode violated a few major rules for me (no revelations and bad flashbacks being the main offenders) but I absolutely loved it nonetheless. I give it a B+.

Here's my question of the week: Imagine you're Jack and you can kill either Henry Gale or Juliet, whom do you choose? You know my answer.

marly

Eko did not get kicked off the show because of his run in with the police, he left the show because he is persuing other projects.
He is slated to either produce or direct an autobiographical movie.

Kim

Jack will not and cannot (according to the oath he took) harm a patient deliberately. He will perform the surgery successfully on Henry and Juliet will get mad and say that that was their only chance. Then we will truly begin to see the evil side of Henry and Jack will regret not offing him when he had the chance. You'll see :)

sioux

Love the Lost Diaries! I may have quit watching by now if it weren't for reading this every week. Hope ABC sends you a check!

Eko not repenting did NOT make sense. He didn't speak for days after he killed in self-defense (when the Others dragged the tailies off in the night).

Any one notice that the Tailies are just about gone? We haven't seen Rose and her husband (or did he already get killed off? I quit watching last year) for a while and now the main tailies are dead. The lesson here: don't drink and drive. Maybe the island (i.e., the Hawiian government) told the show's producers to get control of the cast and this is how they've done it!

I asked last week and I'll ask again: WHY DOESN'T HENRY LEAVE THE ISLAND AND HAVE HIS SURGERY AT A HOSPITAL????? Seriously.

I also think that Juliette asking Jack to help save Colleen last week was all part of the plan to draw him in/BREAK HIM! Plus if Juliette wants to kill Henry Gale, she should do it herself. Hopefully Jack's smarter than her, but we know his hero complex, she'll sucker him just like his wife and father. And Sawyer and Michael...

The newbies are way too clean! The eyebrows plucked bothers me, too (sorry, I can't remember who posted this first, but you're right on!). I know Kate has pretty neat eyebrows, but she still looks disheveled some how. Prediction: they'll be like the guy who tried to help Locke blow up the hatch, totally expendable!

Sandra

I LOVE your blog. It is the highlight of a very boring Thursday at work! Your observations just crack me up! I want to believe that Juliet is good, but I think you're right, she will end up being evil. That black smoke is just stupid! I can believe there is polar bear on the island, I can believe in the "others", I can even believe that Locke can walk after the plane crash....but come on! Black smoke can pick up a huge man and throw him around. The black smoke kills him, but the polar bear doesn't?????

jfp

black smoke is b a d ....killing of Eko was b a d ...oKay?

TruthLady

Ok guys, i have been thinking about this theory and who knows, maybe i am more lost that the characters, but i believe all our characters are death and the island is like a purgatory where their souls have to be in search of forgiveness. If you think about it, Michael's only suffering and wrong doing was not being there for his kid, and at the end he did anything, even kill to get his son. Now, Echo had to confess, which he did, and of course he was absolved and take out. So maybe i am thinking to much about it, but i dont know, that is my theory about this show and believe me, if I am right, it is a good topic.

Tra

I thought when they brought in the two 'new' losties - that one of them would get killed off - I really thought what a cheap shot to not kill a 'main' lostie. But it was Eko's time to go - but his soul is caught on the island so we'll see him still.

I'm not sure about Juliet yet or Henry. I want to trust someone!

I think it will be Sawyer to kill either Juliet or Henry, not Jack. But we all know that the actor who portrays Henry will be Emmy bound.

If Jack, Sawyer and Kate are on a separate island, how did Siyiad, Jin and Sun get back to the camp without the boat? Or are they on the same island after all?

How long is this show supposed to go on? If Michael and Walt come back with rescurers - maybe it will all be a dream? Or do they plan on keeping this show going on until Claires baby is a teenager?

I think I'm most confused about is why are the people from the plan being tortured so - if these people are on the 'Others' island and want to go home so badly than why not have th Others just help them off the island so that the Others can go along on their merry way? The whole think doesn't make sense

jess

Great blog- makes me laugh every Thursday!
Here are my thoughts:
As soon as I realized we were going to be treated to yet another Ecko flashback, I wanted to die. I am totally fine with him being dead... and as excited as I was that Locke, Man of Faith, is totally back, I have a funny feeling that "You're next" is NOT what Ecko whispered. We will probably never know, but I am almost sure of it.

And, I have a theory that maybe the Others are shape-shifters, and they're the ones coming to our Losties in the forms of various people they have wronged. At any rate, this whole thing reeks of mind-game central.

Also, Juliet is satan.

tlatzoteotl

I haven't read all the comments, but so far it doesn't look like anyone has noticed what I did - the black smoke and the "ghost of Yemi" are one and the same. Doesn't anyone remember Jack's dad's body was missing, too? And that Jack followed his father into the jungle? I thought he was hallucinating then, but I don't now.

The implications are clear. The island is a virtual yin/yang. The black smoke ran from Locke, not Eko. Locke saw a "beautiful bright light", Eko saw the black smoke. Opposing forces, one good, one evil. After all, the smoke had no reason to kill the pilot in the first season, did it? It's evil - it animates dead bodies. It lured Eko away from the camp so that it could kill him. It said to him "You speak to me as if I were your brother". That was not Yemi, or his ghost!

Another theory would be that the black smoke is not the island at all, but something being controlled by someone in one of the unopened hatches (maybe eye-patch man?).

I thought the flashbacks kicked ass. If Eko had to go, at least he went out with a bang. And for the person who thinks he was killed off because of a DUI - he was charged with driving without a license, but that was simply because he didn't have it on him. When he had his hearing he showed the judge his license and the charges were dropped.

All in all, great episode! As a matter of fact, every episode this season has been awesome, imho. Can't wait for next week, and I'm very glad we won't have to deal with reruns this year. I'd rather sit out a few months than deal with the on-again, off-again bull.

Claire

Considering each episode is about a day on the island....Did anyone else think it was weird that Juliet was wearing a different shirt in the cue card scene than she was wearing in the video???

pixiebdg

I think Eko had already long ago repented and he knew the black smoke was going to eventually mind-trap break him with guilt for sins already repented.

I don't know who is more evil Ben or Juliet, but I know that Jack just got a lot more interesting instead of refusing to eat Juliet's meals for two entire episodes.

I have a feeling that Sun is going to be a major player somehow. Her dad's a killer and she is now pregnant...could it be that Juliet impregnated her, isn't she a fertility doctor? Hmmm...wait until the baby is born and it comes out a regurgitated character and Jin gets all pissy and gets killed by the black smoke.

DaddysGirl

I just love coming on here and reading your blog! Love the minute by minute details! I was so shocked that Eko was killed off, I actually cried, I love(d) Eko!! Eko was one of my fav characters on the show, the other being Sawyer!

I can understand a little of the black smoke (spirit i would say though) but how it killed Eko last night all I can say is WOW! But I don't think this will be the last we see of Eko.... I hope.

Also the new people... SUCK! How come no has checked them out the way they had checked out Ethan and everyone else on the plane. Are the apart of the others??

I don't trust Juliet or Henry... but I hope Henry doesn't die off or get killed, he is such a great bad guy!

Becca

I think the black smoke turns into people that mean something to that person. For example... The balck smoke turned into Eko's brother last night. Agree??

megan

I have a question- remember when Eko was confessing to his brother, and his brother says "You speak to me as if I was your brother". What was that all about?? Is that just another sign pointing to the black smoke really just being evil itself, and manifesting itself differently to each character?

I agree that this episode had a number of inconsistencies with previous episodes, the most blatent of which was that they did indeed burn the plane last season...not that I will stop watching anytime soon.

And I think that Juliette is playing with Jack, big time. She and Henry/Ben (who gives me the creeps, too...sorry) are working together. I don't entirely believe that Henry/Ben needs surgery. I think this is some sort of test.

TruthLady

Yes I do belive this is a test, but remember, Jack always has to be saving someone, that was the big issue with his ex-wife. And what was that all about Julia having a strong resemblance to Jack's ex-wife???? Jack did not respond to that. And it was just left there.
Hey did you guys noticed that Henry is the guy from Saw I? That is why he is such a scary/misterious guy. I totally loved Saw I,II and III!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments