"Lost" Diary: The Cost of Living

11/2/2006 2:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Back again with another edition of the "Lost" diary. This week's promos have hyped a castmember dying on the show. What better way to shock and entertain your audience than announcing your big plot points in your commercials? If ABC had marketed The Sixth Sense, the trailers would have said, "One of the people you think is alive in this movie is really dead." Have I mentioned how much I hate promos?

Ok, I'm fine now. Anyway, we only have one more new episode after tonight, so let's gobble up all the island goodness we can. As always, I watch Lost with a group of friends, and I write down what I see. This week I am joined by Ari, Lauren and April. On with the show ...

9:01 -- Eko flashback time. Seems that the themes of tonight's episode will be confession and sin -- and boy does Eko have his fair share of that.

9:03 -- And Eko's brother's ghost just confirms that. This has to be the only show on TV where getting killed off doesn't mean you're out of the show, except for All My Children.

9:05 -- Lauren has already proclaimed, "I don't know if I'm going to like this episode." That's the attitude. And a delusional Eko has just run off into the jungle. I'm sure he'll be fine.

9:09 -- Jack has decided to use his captivity time to get in shape. Henry Gale, on other hand, is now dressing like a cult leader -- oh wait, that kinda makes sense. And, oh by the way, the fact that Jack is asking Henry about the tumor just confirms my theory that the x-rays we saw last week belong to Locke. Or, at the least, Henry doesn't know he has a tumor.

9:10 -- Colleen funeral time. The whole "everyone dressed in white thing" isn't creepy at all. By the way, if Juliet walked into this room right now, Lauren would stab her in the neck with a pen. I wonder if she stirs up those feelings in every female viewer.

9:12 -- "Why did you show him my X-rays?" -- Henry Gale. Well, there goes my cool new X-ray theory. Man, I was feeling kinda smart there for awhile.

9:13 -- Locke, Sayid and Desmond are discussing strategy. Charlie said that Eko just kept saying "my brother" over and over again -- did it occur to anyone he could just be doing an impression of Desmond? And if I were missing, I wouldn't want Charlie and Hurley to be the search party looking for me.

9:14 -- Eko is adjusting to life as a priest. If he's in his brother's church, shouldn't someone in the village recognize him, considering he grew up there?

9:16 -- Guess what's is back? That's right, it's creepy black smoke time.

9:20 -- Locke has invited people to join his crew headed to the Pearl and the new guys are going to come along. These two do not fit in AT ALL. I am trying to be open-minded, but they stand out like a sore thumb -- I can't put my finger on why.

9:22 -- All of Eko's flashbacks today are leading up to him confessing his sins. If the island itself had a theme, it would be redemption and second chances. Will Eko get his?

9:24 -- So is the black smoke afraid of Eko? He stood up to it twice, and both times the smoke took off.

9:29 -- Ok, everytime we get an extended scene between Henry Gale and Jack, I get a little giddy. Some people complain about this season, but one thing that hasn't been lacking AT ALL is the writing. Instead of summing up this exchange, I am just going to give you three Henry Gale quotes that I immediately had to write down:

"We had such a wonderful plan to break you Jack."
"I want you to want to save my life."
"Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky."

It's now official: There is no better character on TV right now.

9:34 -- My favorite thing about Eko flashbacks: the accents. If a book on tape were read by Eko, I would definitely buy it.

9:37 -- Eko's brother's body has disappeared. Of course it has.

9:42 -- I am not a religious man, but I think slaughtering people in a church is probably the kind of thing you need to go to confession for.

9:44 -- Hey, new girl has a theory about the monitors! OK, now the sound of her voice is starting to irk me. Everyone else on the island, and maybe I'm crazy here, actually SOUNDS like they have been on the island for 70 days. The new guys sound like they just walked out of their trailer. And yes, I noticed the guy with the eye patch -- I just have no idea what to make of him.

9:46 -- I was literally typing in "Juliet's apology is bullshit" when she started to play her version of the INXS video "Mediate" (Sorry for the random reference). OK, I'll get into Juliet more later, but I don't believe A WORD that comes out of her mouth... or anything she writes cue cards. Great scene though.

9:53 -- Eko's actions haven't gone over well in the village. But now we know why Eko built a church on the island -- he "owed" his brother one.

9:55 -- Eko's confession didn't go over well with his brother's ghost -- and yes, I feel silly typing sentences like that but with this show, you get used to it. Oh and again, Eko's confession: incredibly well-written. I forgive Eko, even if his brother's ghost doesn't...

9:57 -- ...which it sure doesn't look like he did. Whatever ABC paid for the black smoke special effects, they got gypped.

9:59 -- RIP Mr. Eko.

10:00 -- "He said, 'We're next.'" -- Locke.

Mildly reeling here, but time to figure out what we learned...

The new people suck... when the ghost of your brother asks you to confess, maybe you should... If the actors who play Michael and Walt got paid for the first five episodes, everyone should hire their agents.

Alright, we have two things to talk about here: Eko's death and Juliet's attempts to get Jack to kill Henry. Let's start with Eko -- I think we all saw this coming (man I hate ABC commercials). Here's the reason why I can totally understand Eko's death: he asked for it. As I said before, the theme of the island is redemption. When Eko's brother (aka the island) gave Eko the chance to confess his sins, and he turned them down, he basically gave the island the finger. So the island killed him. In the universe of "Lost," I totally get that.

There was actually debate in the room after the Juliet and Jack scene about whether or not Juliet is evil. For me, it's a no-brainer. I have said all along that I believe Henry Gale when he says he's the good guy. He's the guy with all the answers, so I believe every word he says. Juliet, on the other hand, as Sawyer was able to decipher in about two seconds, is not to be trusted. I don't even want to entertain the notion of Henry Gale getting killed. I think I would wear all black to work the next day.

This episode violated a few major rules for me (no revelations and bad flashbacks being the main offenders) but I absolutely loved it nonetheless. I give it a B+.

Here's my question of the week: Imagine you're Jack and you can kill either Henry Gale or Juliet, whom do you choose? You know my answer.

jfp

Here's a thought for all of you trippers.

Remember how in the 1st season we saw black smoke as signal fires off in the distance and we were told about the "others"?

What if that smoke we saw from the signals was the living black smoke? And it was rising up looking around! And its the smoke that is the "Others". And that there are just other-people that were trapped on the island before but they know some strange sh*t is going on, on this island and that you never know if people are really people or smoke-people. And Juliet and Ben are just people that have been trapped for a long time and were jerked-around by the living smoke creatures...aka "Others". That would explain why they are treating Jack,Kate,Sawyer as prisoners because they are waiting for them to rematerialize in their normal state as black-smoke-monsters. Ben keeps watching them on the monitor waiting to see them reshape like a changling would.

Now excuse me while I go hit the pipe for more (insight) research.

mar

courtney- I was the one that commented on her eyebrows, I could not focus on anything but her perfectly plucked hairs! They need to make the people look a bit unkept.

The black smoke last time had a woman in a headress, so the black smoke is probably ALL of his demons, not just his brother.

As someone said, why can't Henry go to a hospital? If they actually can get off the island, then why do it there, it seems so unsanitary.

cdrw

Has anyone noticed that Henry Gale is the name of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz's uncle? Uncle Henry and Aunt Em were Henry & Emily Gale... and Dorothy fell out of the sky, just like Jack. Don't know if it means anything, but I thought it was interesting.

Glenda

I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but I think that the new people could be others, am I the only one?

?

I'm beginning to agree with season 1's viewers that these characters are already dead, stuck in purgatory, for one last chance based on their actions on the island whether they go on to heaven or hell. I think Eko ' Lost ' his chance for redemption last night and is certainly on his way to hell. It's like in the movie ' Ghost ', the little bright white lights came for Patrick Swayze & the little dark demons came for the friend who murdered him. Remember John asking about the white lights and Eko said that's not what he saw? JACK- stay away from Juliette and Henry. PRODUCERS - keep Sawyer and rethink those new people.

Elke

Just to clarify that Eko did NOT get a DUI. He was charged with driving without a license.

jodi

Don't believe for a second that Ben has a tumor. This is all a psychological game they're playing. The X-ray is no more real than the 2nd island Ben showed Sawyer. The Others are playing games with the heroes. I wish we knew why.

Ant

My heart's broke... like everyone else, I saw it coming but why Eko?!?!?

Lost has always been a pseudo existential/spiritiual show, and to kill off one the show's most complex, humble and spiritual characters was a mistake.

It's not like Shannon getting killed, who's best attribute was her legs, or bitch Ana Lucia; it was EKO!

nysmellsbad.com

bren Keller from Troy, MI

Thanks for the blog! Interesting comments ~ Luv Sayid, lose the newbies, more Hurley, more Sawyer, more Kate. RIP Eko.

BTW, the polar bear must have escaped from the cages Sawyer & Kate are in.

jenromo57

I will be very upset if the decide to kill off Sawyer...the dialogue between him and 'Frekles" is just great, so funny.

Susan

I, too, will miss Mr. Eko. He was the most complex character that was on the plane, and he was one of the few who could really kick ass. Now we're left with Locke as the only one who seems spiritually connected to this place, and that's a shame.

If the writers weren't spending all of the creative energies developing Juliet and Henry, they could give these lame new characters (Nikki and Paulo) some attention. It's incredibly awkward how they've incorporated them so far. It brings to mind the expendable extras that would go on away missions on Star Trek - except that they would always get killed, and here they knocked off Lost's version of Wharf. Instead of having them tag along on field trips, something strange should happen to them in camp, or they should flip out and draw attention to themselves that way. Let them DO something!

Producers, you can still redeem your introduction with Nikki and Paulo!

kennedyDC

The producers of LOST have already said the island is not purgatory. Not are all the characters already dead.

One interesing thing I did learn ... do you recall the man in the pilot episode who was killed when he was sucked into the plane's turbine? According to the producers' podcast, that man was Gary Troup, author of the manuscript "Bad Twin" that both Hurley and Sawyer were reading. Which was published as a real book by Hyperion.

Another factoid. Gary Troup is an anagram for purgatory.

Dan

If Eko "Lost" his chance for redemption, then why the shot of him as a child walking off arm-in-arm with his brother? Not exactly one's typical demonic imagery, is it? I think his confession (or lack thereof) says more about free will than you might think.

Brig

You're right about Juliet, she completely creeps me out. Like all people who are "too nice", you what wonder what her motivation is. Wouldn't it be fabulous if she were the bad guy behind it all?

Many will disagree but I felt it was Eko's time to go. Now that Locke is back in fighting form, we only need one man of faith and he's the one. There wasn't anywhere for Eko's character to go. I LOVED his speech though and agreed with him completely -- he did what he had to do to survive and had nothing to apologize for. Personally I never connected with the Tailies and couldn't care less about any of them. I like that Rose and Bernard are together, but you could keep the rest of them. Come to think of it, there are no "rest of them" anymore.

The new people are awful. Their exchange about always being left out reminded me of Boone and Shannon whom I miss greatly and were much better actors and characters -- note to Lost, stop killing off people you may need later. They're like the gorilla in the room no one is supposed to notice. You can hear the writers, "Please ignore the two people you have never seen before, thank you for your cooperation."

wondering

how come the island heals crippled legs and cancer but not back tumors????

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments