Van Halen's New Bassist? Eddie's Boy Wonder!

11/2/2006 8:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Van Halen has finally found its new bassist -- and it looks like the rock gods are keeping the band a family affair.
Van Halen has a new bassist
TMZ is first to confirm that Van Halen has hired 15-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen -- the son of guitarist Eddie Van Halen and estranged wife Valerie Bertinelli, and nephew of drummer Alex Van Halen -- as the new bassist for the band.

Wolfgang replaces longtime bassist Michael Anthony, who left the band earlier this year. Eddie Van Halen's spokesperson Janie Liszewski tells TMZ that Wolfgang, known as "Wolfie," has already joined his dad and uncle for rehearsals in the studio for a 2007 summer tour. Wolfie played dates with his father during the band's 2004 tour, and the song "316" on 1991's "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," was named for Wolfie's birth date that same year.

The band is still without a lead singer, despite rumors that David Lee Roth might rejoin.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

steve

I will pay anything to see VH with DLR. They just aren't the same with a substitute singer. It would be like KISS without Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley; like Journey without Steve Perry; like Aerosmith without Steve Tyler or Whitesnake without David Coverdale. it's just not the same. Bring back Dave, please, because i want to spend my money to see Van Halen. It will be a three hour escape I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred $$ on. I'd rather see Michael Anthony on bass, but I guess I can live anyway. Bring back Dave, and I'm there.

Darren

Its amazing how opinionated people are. TRUE FAN'S! But I don't think we should be throwing shot's at the kid. Your either a pre or a post fan ( roth of course). And some are both.(myself included). I don't even remember how many years i have been a fan.
But i think it would be very disappointing not to have mike there. Rock on.
Darren

S.H.

If you're gonna do it, do it right, contact the only solid reliable person who has been at your side since the bands conception (Michael Anthony), call Dave if thats who you want out front, start working out and rehearsing (even if it takes a year) and give the people who have made it possible for all of you to become rich, a real rock show!!
Put aside all the B.S. and go out up-side-down with your hair on fire!!!

Guess Who?

Rob G

I saw Wolfie play with Eddie on the last VH tour and he sucked. He did absolutely nothing special at all. My 13 yr old son is just as good. Even if Wolfie can play the bass parts, which is unlikely, can he sing those high harmonies like Michael Anthony? The kid also has zero stage presence. This will be a disaster and potentially traumatic for the kid if he gets booed by 30,000 people. Yikes.

When Eddie fired Sammy he questioned Sammy's work ethic. Since then Eddie has done practically nothing while Sammy has toured almost nonstop and released numerous albums. Eddie is nuts. He called Sammy and Michael a cover band for playing "his" songs. But Eddie only writes the music. Sammy or Dave wrote the lyrics and probably a lot of the vocal melodies. Eddie, please retire. This is embarrassing. I may buy a ticket though just to watch the trainwreck!

jomama

ill bet its all a bunch of BS Michael Anthony is coming back with them... Eddie Cathrine and Rise were awsome.... the music and the videos...

Rock On MOW FO

DENNIE

U KNOW WHATS FUNNY ABOUT SOME OF UR COMMENTS ABOUT WOLFIE IN THE BAND DO U REALLY THINK EDDIE WOULD PUT HIS SON UP THERE TO PLAY NIGH AFTER NIGHT IF HE DIDNT THINK WOLFIE WASNT READY MY HATS OFF TO EDDIE U PULLED IT OFF JUST SHOWS U HOW FREAKIN SMART ED IS . EDDIE IF U READ THIS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE DAVID COVERDALE OF WHITE SNAKE TRY OUT FOR UR FRONT MAN WHAT A GREAT ONE TO SEE KEEP THAT IN MIND EDDIE

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5