Chris Rock

Files for Divorce

11/3/2006 7:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris RockTMZ has learned that Chris Rock has begun divorce proceedings against his wife of nearly 10 years, Malaak Compton-Rock. TMZ is told that the comedian has hired a high-powered divorce attorney to represent him.

The couple, married in November of 1996, has two daughters -- 4 year-old Lola and 2 year-old Zahra. Malaak is the Founder and Executive Director of StyleWORKS; a non-profit, full-service salon that provides free services for women leaving welfare and entering the workforce.

When contacted, Rock's rep would only say "I cannot comment at this time."

Chris, best known for his stand-up comedy as well as for a controversial turn as the host of the 2005 Oscar telecast, once told NBC's Stone Phillips that marriage was "beautiful" but added, "If you're a guy, [your individual self] is dead. Get rid of you. Take yourself to the door and wave. Hey, see you later. It sounds horrible. I'm happier than I've ever been now that I've shot myself in the head."

Rock is currently in post-production for the film "I Think I Love My Wife."

Chris Rock gallery: click to launch

AreYouKiddingMe?

Somewhere Al Sharpton is scrambling for Chris Rocks phone number

Wicked

Hot Dang....LOVE IS IN THE AIR...

NOT

What's up with the world these days?

Lora

He seems like a real genuine guy!

Diego

Apparently she hates Chris.

Mad Balls

DAMn no pre-nup ...hey Chris there's a job opening at Cracker barrell....

Just me

Well, three's a crowd...Chris, his wife and his big ego...

J.J.

What is with these guys who file for divorce before the 10-year mark??? First it was Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman and now Chris Rock (although I'm sure there are more). Gee, do you think it has anything to do with the money Rock would have to fork out to his wife if they were married for more than 10 years? I say, go get him Mrs. Rock, for all he's worth.

get a life people

damn i just saw on people that neil patrick harris is gay...who is next? damn hollywood is going to hell....

Dimples

#6. You are disgusting.

duh

#11, #6 is repeating part of Chris Rock's routine--his own words, dumbo.

AngelG.1

Thank you, #12! I really enjoy Chris Rocks stand up and his show, but apparently love in Hollywood or show biz altoghter- has a 10 year exparaion date. But I think these guys want the fun or something strange, but not the responsibilty. Even Snoop went back home tail between his legs , and Mrs. Snoop took him back, but she made him take his time and woo her again. Guys almost always go back home, cause the grass is NEVER greener over there........

Cabo

#10 - Uh, Neil Patrick Harris is gay and that's contributing to Hollywood going to HELL? Neil's fine character means nothing -- but his being gay does. I'm betting his has way more character and is far less judgmental than you could ever be. Look in the mirror if you want to see what's going to HELL!!

Informative

Never thought I would say thank God she has a child, he probably would leave her totally in the cold. These celebrity guys just can't resist the FAKE admiration they get from their fans or the people there around, people who don't really KNOW them. I mean Chris Rock is not exactly handsome. What GENUINE Lady did he meet?? PLEASE........

Me

He's hired a high-powered divorce attorney to represent him? Ut oh...you know what that means. That means that it's not going to be civilized. Right from the start, I bet he's going to try to leave her with as little as possible...time to play "Screw Mrs. Rock in Divorce Court, Even Though I Have These Two Little Ones and She's Their Mother."

Phooey on Chris Rock. I never thought he was funny, anyway.

Poop

Chris Rock is probably getting divorced because his wife wants to continue to eat at cracker barrel and his mother is upset over it! Damn you Al Sharpton!

cracker barrel ROCKS!