Richards -- "I'm Really Busted Up"

11/20/2006 10:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Richards publicly apologized for his racist tirade in an appearance on "The Late Show," but acknowledged that such sentiment had the potential to "come[s] through and fire[s] out of me." He tried to find an awkward parallel between his ugly rant and conflict that has arisen between blacks and whites since Hurricane Katrina.

Looking sallow, drawn, and speaking in halting fragments, Richards explained via satellite from Los Angeles to David Letterman and friend Jerry Seinfeld in New York, that he had lost his temper after some members of the audience interrupted his act and that he "took it badly," unleashing the racist invective that TMZ first aired this morning. He apologized to the people who took "the brunt" of his abuse, saying he was "really busted up," but then went on a strange tangent on race relations, saying he was "concerned about hate and rage" and about a "great deal of disturbance between blacks and whites" after Hurricane Katrina.

Richards did not say whether any other factors contributed to his actions, adding only that he would be doing "personal work" in the aftermath of the incident.

Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

number13

I think he did go a little far calling those people the N word, but part of me doesn't blame him. You see, black and hispanic comedians call white people 'honkey' and 'cracker' all the time and when they do it, it's funny and no one cares. I understand the N word has much deeper meaning, but come on why is it OK to make fun of any race, black or white? You can't just single out the whites because like I said blacks do it all the time and to some of us it is offensive, but you don't see us complaining. Now a white guy does it and it's all over the news. If you're going to nail the white guy for doing it, how about posting some video of all the black and hispanic comics that have used racial slurs against whites.

brian

If Jerry wanted the crowd to stop laughing he should have started telling some of his jokes. "I mean what is the deal with toothpaste..." Insert 5 lame minutes here.

Scott C.

He apologized. Good for him. Now let's wait for the hecklers to apologize...which probablyw ill NEVER happen. You're still #1 in my book Richards!

Wicked

YOU GO MICHAEL...

LOVE YOU...NO PROBLEM HERE DUDE

Wicked

You did nothing wrong. Way to tell it like it is...the truth.

God Bless You

jimmy

This'll all be a "Law & Order" 'ripped from the headlines' before this TV season is up.

Astrid

Blah, blah, blah. It was only a matter of time before he came out and apologized. Whatever. It's been done only he didn't blame alcohol, being gay, being molested as a child by a priest, etc. Interestingly enough, he qualified his apology and linked it to rage, race relations, Hurricane Katrina and a bad day. He meant what he said, and sadly, several like-minded people agree with him. People laughed in the audience at the Laugh Factory when he originally made the comments and people laughed in the audience at Letterman when he was making his apology. His best bet would have been to say "yeah, I said it, now what?!" He should embrace his racist views since that is clearly how he felt and shouldn't hide behind Jerry Seinfeld and a bunch of contrived excuses laced with publicist-created rhetoric.

John C jackson

They should give Chevy Chase this role, too.

Alix

Motherfucker, who cares. There are things in life which cannot be taken back or forgiven. I feel about you the way I do about Mel Gibson; die bitch!

Mad Balls

Nobody wonder out loud about the OJ TV Special .... word is its' not a go . Fox either can't cover the spread ( RAcists'- a gizzion ---Civilized people -1) or can't figure a way to pay the goldmans ' as not looking "Payola" . too bad you PCer and Racists out there screwed up my viewing pleasure . I know I'd pay pay per view to ask OJ a few questions live . NO DICKHEADS ALLOWED it should say on this blog , oh no , I am so F*kin derived from the supreme dickhead that I cannot figure a way for profit to pay of goldmans ' civil suit . Dickhead .

JEO

The sad truth is, that is probably the real Michael Richards. I didn't watch the Seinfeld show and I guess I always knew beneath the surface there was bigotry waiting to come out.

Get Rid of Hollywoods Crack Whores NOW

Enough of who is the loser in this situation.... lets talk about the real winner....Chevy Chase!!!!

You know he watches the celebrity news everyday hoping to play another actor in "down times" hahahahahahaha

I bet he was all set to try to play OJ

chauncey

Danny, Tina, Amy Are ignorant BITCHES!!!!!
racist assholes!
I cant believe there are still stupid white people like you guys!

teddy, Jen, besset has the right look on things.

Nicole

Of course he apologized. He's trying to put his mask back on. The one where he acts like he's not a racist. You were BOLD enough to say it. be BRAVE enough to STAND by it. What good is an apology if it is false. The same w/ mel gibson. The bigger insult is believing that we are stupid enough to want your fake apology.

brian scott miller

"Michael didn't mean what he said and we all know it" !!

Chalk it up to a bad day. (*^_^*)