Perez Hilton Sued For $7.5 Million

11/30/2006 9:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Perez HiltonA Hollywood photo agency is suing snarky gossip blogger Perez Hilton aka Mario Lavandeira, for copyright infringement. The agency claims Perez used their images on his website "without permission from the agency, thereby violating federal law."

The tabloid agency is seeking over $7.5 million dollars in damages from Perez for what they say is a loss of profits and injury to their reputation. The photo agency believes their pics have played a large part in the success and profitability of perezhilton.com, which reportedly charges between $9,000 and $16,000 a week for ad space. It costs plenty to appear next to Britney's crotch!

Perez tells TMZ, "I have yet to be personally served with this lawsuit. My lawyers and I will address the situation when we have the opportunity to review the materials."

The self-proclaimed "Gossip Gangsta," who calls a local L.A. coffee shop his "office," is currently scheduled to appear on the upcoming "Big in '06 Awards" on VH1, and on MTV's New Year's Eve special.

READ DOCUMENTS

martine

I love Perez. This is really sad...

Jenna

I think poor 'ole TMZ.com is a bit jealous of Perez Hilton.com. I think this is a tale of envy, than anything else. Face it... Perez Hilton's web site has soooo much more information and pics, everything, than TMZ! If you ask me, TMZ is way sleezier than Perez Hilton could ever dream of being.. Keep up the bad work, TMZ!

kimkim

it was x17online.com they posted something about it a few days ago, it's a pic of britney and paris. they said that they posted it and then perez had the same exact pic up a few hours later. if you go to their site you can read all about it.

photoguy

The bottom line is that when you use photos with water mark in the middle of the picture, these means the photos are stolen. Perez takes photos and uses them without asking. His dumdass claims that he does not know where the photos he gets come from?? He is so stupid?? Thank god sameone had balls to take this fruitcake to court.

robo

I knew it was coming. You cant use others people work and not pay them for it. I visit his site everyday. It is very entertaining yet I believe he is very mean and judgemental. What goes around comes around. You cant put so much negativity out in the universe and expect it not to come back too you. Will they win probably but not 7 and 1/2 million dollars. They should make him pay for what he owes for the amount of times he stole there pictures and then add another 1/2 of that toal amount to the judgement for his blatent disreguard to run his buisness honestly. And lets be honest CURRENT PICTURES that accompany the GOSSIP HE OBVIOUSLY GETS FROM A NUMBER OF OTHER INTERNET SITES, then puts his own spin on does account for a major part of the sites success. Change your ways MARIO youve got something good going for yourself straighen up bro!

Roby

17. I bet it's X17...they are always complaining about Perez. I hate how he is ALWAYS sucking up to Paris Hilton...media is suppose to unpartial!

Posted at 8:47PM on Nov 30th 2006 by karma baby, karma

***

Hey "karma baby karma"

Of course it's biased.. but it's not "news" it's a blog.. his! would you say bad things about your friends on your own PERSONAL blog?? how many people have blogs out there and use pictures without permision? a lot! are they going to sue every person who has a blog and uses pictures? I think this is stupid and even though Perez's blog is more famouse it's still just a blog! it was never ment to be "the news" people need to get that straight!

I'm with you all the way Perez!

whatsonpop

Suing Perez Hilton will only drive more people to his website. That would mean more money for him. It's the same as when right-wing christians stage a boycott of something. It's rubber-neck syndrome. We all want to see what its all about. I think Perez brought this on himself by the manner he goes about reporting. He has a tendency to be nasty, assumptive and inappropriate. This being said, those are the exact reasons I read his website religiously!!!

tmz_fan

If the guy is using pictures w/out the owner's permission and is making money by using them, then, yeah, he should be sued for copyright infringement.

lulu

I love perez, no more publicists driven lies from celebrity publicists and web is something they cant stop.

Salvatori

Faggot

spam

perez is a gotdamn homo.

PerezSux

Perez is an uncouth, unfunny, untalented doppelganger and this is long overdue. He needs to go away, the sooner the better.

Leora

Ummm Perez who? TMZ Rocks!

Syl C.

Perez Hilton is funny and arrogant at the same time, but his website is addicting. He is unique in his dialogue of his photos and seems to know alot about the stars. He is not afraid to voice his opinion and his write-over captions on the pictures, are hilarious. He seems to grab us, his audience, and make us feel like we're kin with these celebrities, even though we personally don't know them. I guess that is what is so appealing about him and his website. I hope he is able to settle this infringement lawsuit it would be such a loss not to have Perez Hilton.com to view everyday, every hour and laugh.

Mad Balls

I don't really have time to watch other people make up lines that I already thought of . Both he and the Night TV comics have been stealing our lines in blogspace for years now . Does' David have to pay me when he takes the whole frikin' list WORD FOR FRIKIN WORD . Dickhead . The guy is not funny . I'd rather watch jay but he is blog reading and borrowing bigtime . Perez looks like a crackhead on heroin looking to give out BJ's in a seedy bookstore. DICKHEAD .

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments