Perez Hilton Sued For $7.5 Million

11/30/2006 9:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Perez HiltonA Hollywood photo agency is suing snarky gossip blogger Perez Hilton aka Mario Lavandeira, for copyright infringement. The agency claims Perez used their images on his website "without permission from the agency, thereby violating federal law."

The tabloid agency is seeking over $7.5 million dollars in damages from Perez for what they say is a loss of profits and injury to their reputation. The photo agency believes their pics have played a large part in the success and profitability of perezhilton.com, which reportedly charges between $9,000 and $16,000 a week for ad space. It costs plenty to appear next to Britney's crotch!

Perez tells TMZ, "I have yet to be personally served with this lawsuit. My lawyers and I will address the situation when we have the opportunity to review the materials."

The self-proclaimed "Gossip Gangsta," who calls a local L.A. coffee shop his "office," is currently scheduled to appear on the upcoming "Big in '06 Awards" on VH1, and on MTV's New Year's Eve special.

READ DOCUMENTS

Penny Woods

It's not "one photo" that Perez has stolen. It's several photos from photo agencies and blogs as well as individual blog posts and styles. In fact, I think (although I'm not sure completely) that he ripped off the style of my blog in some of his posts.

Then again, one of my visitors told me this, so I could be in the wrong.

I agree with two previous comments:
1) Karma is a bitch, and
2) suing him has increased traffic to his site.

And, um, yeah, he's gay. Stop gay bashing him.

Narcissus

I like Perez, but X17 has been gunning for him recently over allegedly stealing their photos. Posted on their site earlier this week: "Do these two pictures look familiar? Yep, you saw the first one posted on our site this morning, just below, and then you saw both of these posted on PerezHilton a few hours later. How do you think he got these images? Do you think he's making money off the backs of our photographers who stayed awake all night waiting to get these pictures at 5:30 am? "

If he has been "borrowing" X17's copyrighted images, I wouldn't be surprised to discover they're behind the lawsuit. Perez is fun, but he needs to develop his own photo resources if he's going to stay out of trouble.

Salvatori

I think a horse has better teeth. I laugh at his followers. Think he would come to your rescue well think again. He dosent give a rats ass about you in general. And neither does tmz. But we are the idiots who put food on their table. We should all start blogs and maybe we could live life to the 9s also.

Connie

If he's using photographs that don't belong to him and doesn't have permission, I hope he is nailed. I don't visit the site much, but never will again after learning this.

I'm not a professional, but I'd sue over the use of my photographs. I shelled out the dough for the camera and gear, put the time and effort into the shot. It's my property.

Copyright belongs to the photographer automatically (except in cases of work for hire), you don't register it or anything. You don't even have to use the copyright symbol. You know if you didn't take the shot it's not yours.....very simple.

Eli

Apparently Perez has been angering more than just paparazzi. There is a feud between him and an online radio show called http://www.insidetheedge.com.

They called him out on a few issues, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oB5zYfQlMM

Connie

GossipWhore, use of another's property without permission IS stealing. Can I take your car for a spin without your permission as long as I tell everyone it's yours? Agree or disagree, photographs are the PROPERTY of the photographer.

Lance K.

I would be okay if you posted any future articles involving Perez without his picture. That is a face better left UNSEEN

Down with stupid people!

PAREZ SUCKS DONKEY D**K. AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT I WOULD EVEN SAY IT TO HIS QUEER FACE

socalifbabe

Hell...all of the other websites (this included) are just jealous because Perez doesn't sugar coat..he tells it (or shows it how it really is)...Were all behind you Perez 100%..f*** off the rest of you.

.:coquin:.

great article about why perez is terrible. in case you needed a reminder. oh, and he's a fat ugly bastard too.
he doesn't scoop any info. you can read everything that is posted on his blog at least 15 minutes before he posts it (the amount of time he needs to steal it) at a better site. and he is making money off stealing. this is why he is getting sued. he should have been sued a long time ago.

.:coquin:.

all he had to do was give photo credit but he refused to. he's a prick and he's getting what he deserves. i read everything he posts at other sites, then check in with him and he had taken all their posts, only difference is his has the childish writings on them and lame humor. the only thing i will give him is he is a clever business man, putting himself out there and increasing business and hits by forcing you to click to "keep reading" or his "easily offended" posts that you have to click to read. when every click is $$ that's clever. too bad he uses his smarts for evil instead of good. i really hope this is the start of the end for him. he is a complete tw*t.

Amy

Blah, Perez has gone downhill.

Fat fucker. I say sue him for all he's worth.

He doesnt voice his own opinions, he voices Paris Hilton's feelings. And doesnt even realise she's laughing at him too.

Mrs Pickle Hopper

The people defending Perez are complete freaking MORONS!! Fat ass Perez sits at his computer searching blogs and other media outlets. He steals their pictures and stories WITHOUT giving credit to the source.

MANY blogs use these pics but they give credit where it is due. Why should people stand outside all night to get pics, videos and updates for us nosey peeps for Perez to only take the credit for those pictures and stories.

Perez erases the names off of the pics. He acts like it was him that stood outside all night and got the shots. Plain and simple it is stealing, he is stealing others work. Picture doing work in your office only to have the person next to you take all the credit.

Perez is a jack ass who spends more time bashing Paris's enemies then anything else. I hope he crashes and burns. There is seriously no one more deserving of it then him!

Trinity

Like he is going to care.....the guy thrives on crap so he is most likely loving this. Sure he is arrogant but it makes him funny. He's so in love with himself you gotta like him. One day this week his site had close to 4 million visits so he must be doing something right. If he has been actually stealing pictures then of course he should not being doing that. The spin he will put on this will be undoubtedly be very entertaining.

Mrs Pickle Hopper

A while back video was shown of Perez fighting with a photog over him stealing pics. All Perez did was scream like a girl over and over that everyone else was doing it too. For some reason Perez can't wrap his head around the fact that everyone gives credit to the source.

He is a complete bafoon who is losing IQ points each time he hangs with Paris. He can't seem to get it through his thick head that he can't take credit for someone elses pictures.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments