Soap Star Attacked, Decks Obsessed Fan

1/3/2007 9:09 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Drake HogestynTMZ has obtained a restraining order filed by veteran "Days of Our Lives" actor Drake Hogestyn against a man he says assaulted him in his home on New Year's Eve, and "physically tried to exorcise the devil from me."

Hogestyn, who has played John Black on NBC's "Days" for over 20 years, says he was with his family in the backyard of their Malibu home when Carl Raymond Cheney of Portland, OR came onto his property and ran at his daughter carrying a bible screaming "Where is he? I will cast him out!" Hogestyn says Cheney was "calling me by my stage name... recalling past storylines, especially the demonic possession of several years past. But more important, he thought I was dead, because the show that aired on Friday 12.29.06 left my character John Black shot & presumed dead."

Soap StarsHogestyn, who was on a ladder painting his house, says Cheney grabbed and pushed his wife backwards on their patio stairs. At that time, Hogestyn "grabbed him by the hair, spun him around, delivered a right cross to the chin that sent him down the stairs." According to the restraining order the struggle continued for 10 minutes until Hogestyn and his 25-year-old son Ben were able to subdue Cheney by duct-taping the intruder's hands and feet until police arrived.

Cheney was transported to the L.A. County Jail where he is still in custody on $150,000 bail. According to the court documents, a map with directions from Portland to Hogestyn's home were found in the front seat of Cheney's car.

Beth

#13- you rock!!! Too hysterical.

And yes- the image of Drake Hogestyn kicking this guys freaking butt brings out homages to John Black, But John Black DID NOT do this for some of you weirdos.

Any actor being charged at by a crazed fan has every right to go all kung fu on them. But its not the character. duh.

Marlena

Go Drake! Sounds like he went into "mercenary mode"! To think the demonic possession storyline happened 12 years ago and the dude is still obsessed with the story.

Marynelle

I'm so glad that Drake is OK. It just amazes me how some people cannot tell truth from fiction.

I'm just so thankful Drake and his family are safe and OK. I hate to think how this could have turned out if he wasn't in good shape and acted so quickly and alot of thats to Ben, too.

Useless Bantor

I absolutely agree with you, this situation could have gone terribly wrong. I am very happy that Drake and his family are safe and I hope this doesn't happen to any other soap star ,star or person period. I am able to laugh about it because Drake handled his business and protected his family. Im glad I get to laugh about it over the alternative. A lot of DOOL, Drake/John fans could be sobbing our hearts out had this gone the other way. I just wanted to interject some humor and if anyone got that, good. Ive been watching DOOL forever and although I may dislike some of the alter egos, I love all of the ACTORS on DOOL!

DooL1Fan

Sarahjane

John Black RULES!!!!

G.M.

Drake does kick ass on & off the screen. What he did to that crazy nut was well deserved. You only see stuff like that on t.v. Now Drake has a story to tell the cast of DAYS he kickes some guys butt in real life. I'm along time Fan of DAYS & I think the show is going on stronger than ever. Keep it up Writers. Days--ROCKS & Drake--Kicks Ass!! Sign #1 Fan-From SAN DIEGO

Kay

How tragic for this young man and his family! I'm sure the parents are stunned and in shock. I am planning on praying for Carl's return to sanity, and some peace for his family.

Annoyed by it all

6'3", 250 lbs?!! Throw in the obvious sh*thouse-rat craziness and Drake's lucky he's not dead.

Luz Maria

I love (Days of our lives) I feel bad that Drake had to deal with an intruder at his home No one should have to worry about not being safe in there own home. I do love the Charactor John Black seems like he is a real life hero.I wish Drake and his familiy well.

betty mccoy

well i watch dool 5 days aweek and the blacks and bradys and hortons are like family to me and they make me laugh and cry like belle and shawn that is so sad and when belle was crying she made me cry for her but i know it is just a soap it did not happen for real. glad drake and his family are ok i love ben he is so hot saw him on dool and gh and watched him on b and b when i heard he was going to be on there he is cute like his dad. drake should have beat the hell out of him like john would have had but firghting is not the right thing to do i know. this man must have been crazy very to think that drake was evile come on that storylien was alongtime ago back in the 90"s and it was not even john that was evile it was marlena she was the one evile and john saved her from the devil this man dose not even know what happen in that storyline and who it was. that is so sick some people are so sick and crazy in this world think stuff they see on tv or in a movie happened for real some movies are true storys but not everything you see on tv is for real. glad drake and his family are ok and no one got hurt. i am so sorry this happened to you and your family drake it is sad in my book that some one would go to far and be that crazy. ps hope john wakes up soon and getts better i miss his voices his voices is sexy.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3