ABC "Greatly Dismayed" by Isaiah's Outburst

1/18/2007 6:46 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Isaiah WashingtonABC has gotten around to responding to Isaiah Washington's use of a gay slur at the Golden Globes, and, no, they're not at all happy about it.

The ABC statement, first reported by TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, reads, "We have a long standing policy to create and maintain respectful workplaces for all our employees. We dealt with the original situation in October, and thought the issue resolved. Therefore, we are greatly dismayed that Mr. Washington chose to use such inappropriate language at the Golden Globes, that he himself deemed 'unfortunate' in his previous public apology. We take this situation very seriously, and his actions are unacceptable and are being addressed."

Washington said he had "never" called gay castmate T.R. Knight "a faggot" after Monday's Golden Globes. Knight told Ellen DeGeneres that he had, in fact, heard Washington use the term during a scuffle with Patrick Dempsey on the set of "Grey's Anatomy."

It is unclear when the network will make a decision on Washington's future on the show.

a walters

I love the character of Burke and wish washington had not said what he did at the golden globes. But,the media brought it up by asking him the question in the press room. None the less,he should just button it. He really needs to do something to apologize publicly now because he has caused more hard feelings. TK Knight seems like such a gentle soul and this has really hurt him. i hope it doesn't hurt the show.

Curiosity Killed the KAT ;-)

I don't understand why black people are called "African American" this should only be used if you are/were born in Africa and then moved to America and became a citizen. I am black, and an American of African decent. Nobody says white people are European Americans when describing someone who is white...

Now to the topic at hand... I personally feel his comments were inappropriate to say the least, but why can't Isaiah's comments be wrong because they are hurtful and bigoted, it shouldn't matter that he is a black man. What does his race have to do with his nasty comments? He didn't say T.R. Knight was a mutha F'n gay a$$ cracker .. Then he would have been using racial and homophobic slurs, if that were the case i could understand Mr. Washington's race being brought into this discussion. That being said his black a$$ needs to apologize...

Coming from a black woman...

queenmeeka

Gays are just mad that one of them got called out. If it would have been anybody other than a successful black man you wouldn't be hearing a stink about this. Look at all the people Howard Stern, Rush Linbaugh, and YES, even Rosie o'Donald have offended. Guess people would be more satisfied if Washington were see gang banging and drug dealing instead.

justmi

Isiah's homophobic, innapropriate, insecure comment to get attention was surprising and at the least inapproptiate. He spoke out of turn, and at the wrong time, period.
I'm sure he is feeling that now, and I bet it doesn't feel good...
I agree with Katherine, it was something that should have stayed at the set, and not out in public.
Whatever TJ Knight is, that is his business, I still like him-whether gay, straight or bi-he is a great actor, so for me-nothing else matters-he does his job.
With all that said: Isiah should take note. Isiah could probably learn integrity from TJ Knight, which should be one of many lessons...like name calling because I'm sure he has been called a name or two in his lifetime.
Not to mention: watch and walk lightly, because he is losing his fans...
I used to be one of them.

SICK IGNORANCE

I was just on the Rosie Blog and I have notice that half of you that want to defend knight was on there and calling Rosie a butch. Talk about Double Standard!!

sick of paris

So let me get this straight - Rosie can berate people over and over on "The View" and nothing happens to her and her big mouth.But Ishaih Washington could be fired?? Give me a break- if ABC does that (my favorite show) I will quit watching

justaham

Washington should be fired from GA. His black ass had a heart attack on the show because TR called him the N word. That will get rid of the situation.

Steve

Ignorance is ignorance, regardless of the person's color saying it. It makes no difference what color/race/sexual orientation a person is when they're saying hateful demeaning things to others. Psychologists say when a 'straight' man get so worked up and violently mad at 'gay' men, it's usually because they are insecure with themselves and their sexual orientation...not that they would ever admit it. ABC needs to set an example and fire IW promptly! It's obvious he thinks he's above disipline or else he wouldn't have comandeered the mic from Shondra at the Golden Globes to spew hit 'version of the truth'. FIRE HIM ABC!

sick of paris

# 61 - this is not about ignorance - it is about if ABC wants to set an example, fire Rosie's butt off "the View- I agree with #60- can we all say DOUBLE STANDARDS

Sonny Anders

I I can only imagine how much we'd be hearing if someone had DARED to call Mr. Washington the N word. He is a classless act, and in fact a disgrace to his profession and especially his race. But hey, he can blame all his mistakes on his pathetic climb from slavery to the t.v. screen. Maybe he can call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to speak in his behalf. I, personally, will not watch Grey's Anatomy until this AA is forced to make an apology to T.R. Knight!

ezze

oh lynch him already. the world would be better off.

chris

Truly sad that the two-way street of racism has been inserted into this already-upsetting and unfortunate story.

queenmeeka/#51 -- to most people, Isaiah being a black man has zippo to do with people being outraged over his ACTIONS. Quit playing the race card every two seconds, it's cliche and tiresome.

Lara/#62 -- get over yourself and get a clue. ISAIAH made this public when he stepped up to the mike in front of the press and repeated his slur of choice. You should be angry at yourself for being so fucking stupid.

And to all the racist and homophobic douchebags posting dumbass comments here -- GROW UP.

sick of paris

I cannot believe the racist disgusting posts I am reading. These 2 men need to grow up and quit name calling, no one needs to be fired. All of you bigots posting crap in this venue, need a good azz whooping

Rico

FIRE ISAIAH WASHINGTON!!! It's unacceptable and outrageous the country freaked when Michael Richards used the "N" word....the same should apply for the "F" word. And what about that fat bitch Shonda Rhimes laughing when Washington spouted off "Faggot" Fire her "N" ass too!!!!!!!!

lala

I agree with 9,

But in a reply:

If TR called him the N-WORD

He'd flip out

Faggot & Nigger are both wrong

and they are equally as bad.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments