Wanda: "Gay is the New Black"

1/27/2007 4:56 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Comedienne Wanda Sykes joked to Ellen DeGeneres that African-Americans have "overcome" -- now that they are the ones dishing out bigoted comments instead of receiving them!

Sykes, guesting on Friday's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," made fun of the fact that Isaiah Washington was going to "rehab" after his homophobic comments about "Grey's Anatomy" co-star T.R. Knight. "Gay rehab? That sounds like traffic school. You should be able to do that online."

After opining on the irony of the whole situation, Sykes joked, "Maybe gay is the new black now."

Spectator

Just remember that being gay is something that affects all races. For my fellow african-americans and white gay people who think being gay and being african-american are mutally exclusive, I suggest that you look up Bayard Rustin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin ) and Audre Lorde ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audre_Lorde ) .

annie

Wanda baby, you are the best. The funniest. The coolest. You rock my world baby girl!

Stephanie

Wanda is too funny. An online gay rehab course, huh? I never thought of that.

Josua May

Wanda u where great girl. He may have said what he did but, I'm over it and I'm a gay guy. I love Ellen, she kinda looked a little unconfortable during the episode. Your props to me for understanding. Your right, gay is the new "black".

MJC

You make me LMAO! Love ya girlfriend, one never knows what's gonna come outcha mouth ^5

Lili

Wanda is speaking the truth! Gay is the new black... I love it. I absolutely love it.

Missy

Is Wanda gay?

JolieIsFake

I think she's horrible however, it's no joke that blacks are the biggest bigots.

varrick

Wanda is a closeted lesbian. But her friends do know.

Ha Ha

I saw her on Ellen yesterday. Wanda always make me laugh so much.

Gwen

Blacks are every bit as prejudiced as whites.

Playboy Adonis

Gay is Gay...it aint the new black. I've never heard such an igorant phrase. Now understand that blacks have overcome some things, but, we are still fighting for rights. Until congress stops voting on whether to allow blacks to vote, we will never overcome.

Gay is a whole separate issue and should not be taken lightly or forced under the same shadow as racial issues. How about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's killer. I guess we would laugh if Wanda would have suggested he take an online course too.

We, are not amused.

Paul Kline #9:
F*** you jewboy!

Mahogany

I disagree blacks are not the biggest bigots...whites are. All races have their prejudices. Why is everyone so sensitive? Wanda made a joke. Sit and spin or LOL.

Aileen

OMG.. Wanda is too funny... if you peeps cant see the humor.. get a life!!! She is a comedian.. its her job to be funny .. She is genius!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments