Methadone Babies -- Not "Sexy"

2/19/2007 3:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

When it comes to Dannielynn's weight, Anna Nicole might still get her wish ... and it doesn't involved a lo-cal baby formula.

TMZ contacted a medical professional at celeb-friendly Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, who informed us that long-term effects on a child born to a mother on methadone include slowed growth; meaning Dannielynn could have a lower weight and smaller size than un-methed tots.

Anna Nicole: click to launchOther side effects may include both impaired behavioral development and organizational abilities. Short-term effects the baby might experience in the first year are involuntary muscle spasms, irritability, high pitched crying, diarrhea, disturbed sleep and inconsistent breathing patterns.

If the baby is a little off, it will be difficult to say what is attributable to methadone ... and what part to genetics.

Sue

Now we are bashing Dr. Perper, how sad this has become
Im sure he knows what killed Anna and he is allowing the police
time to investigate before he releases the cause.. Leave teh poor Doctor out of this he has done nothing but try and treat Anna
with respect and give her body some dignity it isnt his fault people are fighting over her remains

Howard K. Stern Conspiracy Theorist

Is Howard K. Stern A Murderer?

You decide: http://ishowardksternamurderer.com/

Erin

Just let her rest in peace. Obviously Anna was ill, unstable and now she is gone. So we should just let her rest in peace, something no one would ever let her do when she was here with us on earth.

Mar

To the poster number 8, I agree with you. I also feel HKS may have been planning something bad to happen on that boat he and ANS were going to buy. I really do hope you are right that HKS will end up going down, right now I just feel he is going to get away with all this, I hope I am wrong! I want to see him go down, he is so despicable!

Irma

Gee, the whole scenario is the biggest mess I have ever seen, heard, or read about. I wonder what Anna's life was really like. That woman probably spent more days stoned rather than sober. And for her to carry DL the whole time she was pregnant with her, how in the hell did she manage to live through that? I have read so much about Anna, it is unreal. I have been following her life (reading about it, that is) for years, but this put the icing on the cake. Anna &n Danny rip! Can't wait to find out the truth!

in the know

Any drug during a pregnancy can be dangerous. There is always a risk to the unborn baby when the mother is taking perscription or non- perscription drugs. I was going through a divorce when I was pregnant with my second child and I smoked. Her birth weight was only 6lbs. I did not smoke with my first child and her birth weight was 9lbs. My doctor would not even let me take over the counter cough medicine when I was pregnant. Legal or not, to take methadone when you are pregnant is selfish, dangerous and irresponsible. I don't care what any doctor says, I have never met anyone who took more than aspirin after they discovered they were pregnant. But I guess they didn't live in Hollywood, where anything is available for the right price... even your soul.

deedeedee

Just a look at the picture and there is no junkie here , just a mother exhausted after having given birth.... the look on her face the way she hld and look at her baby are enough this is what every mother experience after birth... and noway she was thinking at her baby as sexy ... otherwise she would have strike the pose ... and this is only a Mom and her newborn with lots of love.....

k wells

TMZ-give me a break!!! Harvey: Who gave you this expert medical advice on methadone during pregnancy? Your proctologist? Laugh. Do the research people! Methadone does not harm the baby. Obviously ANS was addicted to pain medication. The lesser of two evils was to continue her on meth rather than go through withdrawals which would have caused her to miscarry in all probability. Most doctors aren't experts in pain medication! The misinformation that comes from the media is totally irresponsible. Starting with Marc Furman on down to Dr. Baden. Ridiculous. What those two especially have been spewing about pain medication is criminal. Remember the "crack" baby firestorm of the 80s? After mass hysteria, it was quietly reported that there were no lasting effects to these "crack" babies. Stick to the facts people. I just read the comment section and there were only about 3 posts out of 40 that were intellegent and fact based. This poor woman died of a broken heart, depression over her son, post partum depression -- whatever -- she probably died from self medicating herself to ease the pain she felt. Doesn't anybody here have any sympathy for what pain she has been going through for the past five months? She has been in hell and now her so called "friends" want to prolong that hell - Larry and her mother, her friend?? Jackie (joke), Ben and his band of thieves (unbelievable!), The people around her who truly spent time with her and loved her - her bodyguard, HS, her adopted Bahamian family, -- these people are the only people who are truly grieving her loss. My heart aches for these people --- the rest of you are pure evil. EVIL.

Tammy

I think all this about HKS is so mean. If someone is on drugs you can't stop that person. Another thing is doctors don't always make the best choices. My doctor overdrugged me for 4 years and all I did was sleep. Anna was in alot of pain and I know you ppl are thinking of the welfare of the child but, believe me when you are in great pain you can't do anything and you start to hyperventilate and your blood pressure shoots out of the roof. Would all you mean ppl have perferred her to die while she was pregnant?!?! She had heath problems and I think that is the reason she died. All this talk about HKS makes me sick, he was her best friend. She put him on the birth certificate for gods sake! They planned to marry on the 23rd of this month. She did alot for gay rights and animal rights. Let her rest in peace and leave Howard alone!

Sue

So if this turns out to be a criminal investigation you Howard supporters will say Vergie paid the police off right

Wicked

Don't you wish your baby was HOT like me..DONCHA???

Tammy

Your comments: I think all this about HKS is so mean. If someone is on drugs you
can't stop that person. Another thing is doctors don't always make
the best choices. My doctor overdrugged me for 4 years and all I did
was sleep. Anna was in alot of pain and I know you ppl are thinking
of the welfare of the child but, believe me when you are in great
pain you can't do anything and you start to hyperventilate and your
blood pressure shoots out of the roof. Would all you mean ppl have
perferred her to die while she was pregnant?!?! She had heath
problems and I think that is the reason she died. All this talk about
HKS makes me sick, he was her best friend. She put him on the birth
certificate for gods sake! They planned to marry on the 23rd of this
month. She did alot for gay rights and animal rights. Let her rest in
peace and leave Howard alone!

mary schoolcraft

Shame on you for this article. It has not been proven that Nicole took the Methadone while pregnant. You to so much pre-judging and you have also
done some wrong reporting. No one calls you on it and no one seems to care but I do. I have no respect for false media reporting. About the baby,
she has her own doctor and they have found nothing wrong with her weight or size. As for her brain..I imagine she has a higher IQ right now than you do.
Also remember this - LAUGHING IS CATCHING.

Connie

What doesn't have side effects or risks? Lol.....even epidurals, pitocin, etc all have their own issues. Methadone used for entertainment is a *horrible* and *dangerous* idea. However, when *needed* and *used under the care/control of a doctor*, it's the safest treatment for opiate addiction.

Clin Perinatol. 1999 Mar;26(1):173-83. Related Articles, Links

The methadone-maintained pregnancy.

Kandall SR, Doberczak TM, Jantunen M, Stein J.

Department of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA.

Methadone treatment during pregnancy offers overwhelming advantages compared with the less acceptable option of medical detoxification or the unacceptably dangerous option of leaving heroin-addicted women dependent on street drugs. General agreement exists that pregnancy offers a unique opportunity to bring women into medical, obstetric, and drug treatment. Methadone maintenance in the setting of comprehensive service provision during pregnancy reduces maternal morbidity and mortality and promotes fetal stability and growth. With an accumulated experience of over 25 years, methadone maintenance has been shown to be an invaluable and often an essential ingredient in bettering the health of women during pregnancy, in improving the outcomes of those pregnancies, and in offering opiate-addicted women a chance to improve both their lives and the lives of their families.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 10214548 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

fiery

I'm sure if anyone needed meth it was Nicole, I'm sorry but meth is the lesser evil of god knows whatever else she was on preggers or not