Babwa Loses It, as Rosie Gets Richer?

2/26/2007 9:28 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Barbara Walters, Rosie O'DonnellFor those of you who've been wondering how Barbara Walters has been handling the insane slide of "The View" into a bare-knuckles cage match between Rosie and The Donald, New York magazine today offers this glimpse into the chaos:

Viz, "'Barbara has the exterior of a debutante,' her friend Dan Rather notes, 'but the heart of an assassin.' The dilemma confronting Walters: How does an old-school debutante-assassin operate in the crude new world of celebrity thuggery? Trump and O'Donnell are perfectly happy to trade blows and spatter blood, on the theory that WWF warfare is more reliable than subtle maneuvering at the court, and the low road is preferable to losing...

Or as Trump, the Sun Tzu of shamelessness, tells me in his office-shrine on the 26th floor of Trump Tower: 'There are some sound bites you can't beat by taking the high road.' "

As is also revealed in the piece, Rosie may be laughing all the way to the bank -- again:

"[Rosie] is credited with an over 20 percent hike in the ratings in the key 18-to-49 female demographic, which has fueled speculation about her bright future on daytime TV. Will ABC cash out Walters's stake and retire her in favor of O'Donnell, who, after all, had her own very successful show from 1996 to 2002? The betting in Las Vegas at last month's programming-executives convention was that O'Donnell will leave soon to launch her own show, for either ABC or a major syndicator. At minimum, O'Donnell, who's said to be pulling down nearly $3 million from The View, about twice what Vieira was paid, will likely be demanding a big raise."

COMMENTS

joan

Barbara Walters needs to retire, she has lost touch with what is real. Was anyone affended by her interview with Jennifer Hudson on Sunday 2/25/07. In it she puts down all the hard working "maintanence Engineers". By asking Ms. Hudson how does it feel to be a big star, and have a " maintanence Engineer for a boyfriend? The funny thing about it, Ms. Walters she doesn't so naturally, and clue less.

AngelG.1

I could not stand Star, and never tuned in. I watched the day Rosie started and oh my gawd - train wreck !!!!! I LOVE IT!! Rosie is so far into herself, her kids, Kelly and last but not least - herself, and making points for gays in every thing anyone says. I am mixed race and hear very nasty things said about my "race" without anyone knowing what I am. If I made a stink for all those times I would never get anything done. I understand she is gay and proud, but do we need a story a day about her wife and kids? I love my hubby and kids too, but there is so much more to ME. If Rosie could stand back and watch the view from home or whatever she would see its " The View with Rosie and some other Chicks".

However....the show its nutty and funny because you never know what Rosie will say- but is is fun watching little bow peep Elizabeth start speaking up and telling Rosie how she feels, and thats good. I dont think BW is worried about what Rosie doing , cause she has increased the public tuning in.

Whatever.

Today I AM FIRST in comments !!!!!

Paece and Love : )

AngelG.1

Sorry , its Peace and Love : )

Thank you.

Marlys Mulen

Can TMZ explain to its' readers why they insist on continuing some kind of imaginary battle between Rosie Odonnell and Donald Trump. I repeat, continuing, TMZ. I wouldn't know about Trump but Rosie hasn't had a thing to say about him of the slightest consequence since day one. Why can't TMZ deal with that????????Afraid of losing readers, WHAT?

my opinion

I consider this a win for all. Rosie gets the big bucks for a job well done. Barbara is getting a much deserved and earned retirement to relax or do other projects. Lastlly, I am happy The Donald and his Apprentice are big losers in their ratings by viewers.

Village

The View is unwatchable without Rosie. Rosie should get her own show, and let The View die a natural death. Since Rosie has been on The View, I can't watch Regis & Kelly any more. Regis is boring and Kelly is so fake. But BW is boring and fake.

As much as I disliked Star, it was like watching a train wreak on teevee. She was the most interesting thing on that show.

Peggy Gunn

I don't understand why anyone would sat and watch Rosie! She is soooooo boring.

Leti

I also never watched the View when Starr was on. Now no matter what I have to drop everything to watch @ 10 am (thank God I can watch TV at work!). My heart breaks when I watch Babs pipes up seem so confused and yes very fake. I remember when she was a hard hitting news reporter. Now it seems like she's kissing ass. So sad!

mary kirk

In btw PeoplesCourt,tuned in the View,what drek!Pugnacious,bullygirlRosie and yes big mama parrot,Joy should change the show's title to accurately reflect its content TO: the rude,dimwit,frivolous,without substance,just one step above potty talk,boring,didactic, menopausal" Hag Harpy Show",Too painful to watch!

Curtiss Heinz

Rosie is just a bleeding heart Lib who flirts with Treason every time she opens her mouth. ABC should flush her and get somebody who is a little more founded in fact than fanatacy. Just watching her and her constant Bush bashing is enough to make even me want to change the channel . If she ever changes subjects let me know but for now it should be:"Miss O'Donnell you are the weakest link, Goodbye"

JIM

WE'VE GOT THE GOOD...THE BAD...THE UGLY...AND THE MEAN. IF ALL THEY CAN DO IS FIND FAULT WITH EVERYTHING, PUT THEM ON UNEMPLOYMENT. HELL, WALTERS IS ALREADY ON SOCIAL SECURITY AND CONFUSED...MEL, AIN'T HITLER, NEITHER IS DUBYA. ROSIE CAN GET HER OWN CRUISE SHIP...IT SAILS BOTH WAYS, AND BEHAR CAN BE THE ANCHOR THERE...LITERALLY. THE CUTE ONE?...SHE CAN GO HOME AND RAISE HER OWN KIDS...THAT'S WHAT THE REST OF US HAVE TO DO. THE TIME SLOT? HOW ABOUT ANOTHER GAME SHOW OR SOAP? IT WOULD BE CHEAPER AND MORE ENTERTAINING, THAN TO WATCH A BUNCHA SKANKS BITCHIN' ABOUT VERY LITTLE THEY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT.

Oklahoma Viewer

I am fed up with Ro....if she doesn't agree with someone else she just gets LOUDER AND LOUDER! If she isn't well enough informed then she just yells over the others. And OMG I am so sick of hearing about "Vivie" and how beautiful she is. Every mother thinks her children are the best. We don't hear Elisabeth going on and on about Grace or her husband everyday. I don't want to tune into a program in which the host is constantly blabbing about her "wife" and kids. It is time for Ro to get her own show on a cable network As it is right now, the "View" should be called "Rosie's View".

JulieA.

Barbara has turned into my 80 year old mother-in-law before my very eyes. She quietly tries to put out all of the family arguments and feuds and no one is listening to her.
Rosie is a very unhappy bully. She went after Joy the other day when Joy was just teasing her regarding parenting styles and how we all parent the way we were parented. OH NO...don't go there with RO.
I am worried about her depression and obesity, truly.
Her mantra is that this one or that one is so judgemental, when in fact, she is probably the most judgemental person on television.

taryn

Rosie is hypocritical when she redicules Paris Hilton today on the View but wants to save Brittney Spears. She is disgusting when she implies Hilton with "dogs and horses" in jail. What has happened to Barbara Walters journalism etiquette? She fired Star because she talked so much about her wedding but accepts this classless style of hosting??

Harlean

Rosie saved the show I love her. She can get loud but who cares. If you really listen to what she's saying, she's right unless of course your living in the land of unreality like Elizabeth is. I also like Joy Behar. She's very down to earth and funny. Back to Rosie. She is extremely talented. I love the "crafts" she does and I like hearing about her children. People who have them can equate with what's she's saying and those that don't can ennjoy hers. What's wrong with that? The show wraps around Rosie. There is no getting away from that and Barbara Walters who no doubt has a piece of the action has got to be loving it.

As for Kelly and Regis - I love them. I'm glad Kelly talks about her husband and kids. She's not phoney as one of the writers indicated - she's real and her parrying with Regis is great.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments