Britney's Post-Partum Struggle

2/27/2007 2:03 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Britney Spears' troubles may have little to do with substance abuse. Sources say doctors at her rehab facility think the underlying reason for her trouble may be post-partum depression.

Sources tell TMZ that Britney's doctors have two operating theories -- either that she suffers from post-partum depression or bipolar disorder. The doctors strongly believe post-partum is the problem.

As for substance abuse, as one source says, "No doubt about it - she likes to drink." But doctors believe the drinking is a way Spears has coped with a bigger problem.

We're told Britney, who is sticking it out at the Promises rehab facility in Malibu, is currently reading Brooke Shields' book, "Down Came the Rain," in which Shields reveals her battle with post-partum depression.

We're told doctors believe Spears' problem is complicated by an intense feeling on her part that she has lost control of her life.

Whatever

Well 67 if you can't handle the truth why don't you go poke your head up your ass where it belongs!

Bi-Polar Hippie

Uhhh....67. You don't have to read the comments to witness the degredation of common human decency. All you have to do is read the headlines........." Britney with no panties ".....she's degrading herself.

Dawnie

Come on Ms. Spears...prove us wrong. Get well, maintain that healthy lifestyle, curb the spending, raise your kids, redevelop your career and keep your family close! I want to see it!

Roxanne

I feel sorry for her. She obviously has NO friends. She has no support system. I hardly would consider her mother a friend. She is lonely and went to alcohol. She had no shoulder to cry on through the whole K-Fed thing, and Paris Hilton just magnified her problems even more. Britney needs Jesus so bad! Which is better to have a lot of money or to be comfortable and have a lot of close friends who really like your company?

Whatever

My Aunt had post partum and she did not drink or do drugs. That will only make it worse. Britney could go to Tom Cruise (since he's a HUGE expert on treating PPD) or take perscription meds. Hopefully she won't be mixing any alcohol or street drugs with them! As long as she stays in therapy after she is realeased she should be ok. It's going to be a long, rough road back though.

Mary

I had two babies close together just like Britney did, I had PD and I did not act like she did. I LOVE my babies, I was a MOM to my babies. I agree w/ #16 and 18.
BRITNEY is a load of CRAP!!

Britney you are trying to save your IMAGE and YOU are TRYING to BLAME it on PD.
PD mothers DO NOT act like YOU. LOOK at BROOKE SHIELDS. SHE is a GREAT MOTHER to her children. SHE had PD but she DID NOT ACT like an IDIOT, LIKE YOU. SHE did something about it and GOT WELL.

SORRY BRITNEY, I WAS A FAN. NOT ANYMORE!!!

Pshizzle Philzle

Its Bi-polar, not Post Partum. The spin-machine thinks PPD is a more sympathetic condition that Bi-polar.

Whatever

Addicts lie so they can keep using. It is much easier for her to blame PPD then admit she has a substance abuse problem.

John Cornish

It amazes me to think how much time and effort goes into reporting all this garbage. We live in a world full of major international problems, and yet front page news and top stories are the trails and tribulations of 25yr old mother of two. So what it's Britney Spears. She's made mistakes and now it seems as though she is trying to fix them. I got an idea, how about instead of judging Britney we pray for her to recover and become a devoted mother to her children.

Renee

you all need to LAY OFF! All these negative vibes around all of your posts are tired and old. Just goes to show you that EVERYONE goes through crap in their lives. Leave her alone. She's a spoiled brat? WHY? Because she made money, more than you will EVER have? Go out and get a life! Why all the haterz?
Britney- there are those of us who will help you through this with support. My prayers are with you.

Anh-Kay

Having two children in two years takes its toll on one's body as well as on one's hormones. In addition to that, she had her marriage crumble so of course that's enough to send someone through a breakdown. The difference here is that she's a public figure and has papparazzi documenting her every move. She can't keep anything private any more. There is medication for this so it's great (assuming the headline is true) that she's being diagnosed and treating appropriately.

Whatever

Yes Britney please get well so #80 can buy your music for her daughter! LMAO!No wonder she went bats!

Jennifer

I always thought she had ppd she had 2 babies in 2 years and that dickhead of a husband of hers didn't help matters

Michelle

I understand post partrum depression is a major problem but I don't feel sorry for her. She pays people to raise her kids for her, when she's out with them she carries around her stupid little dog while an assitant is taking carrying her kid. Maybe she just realized she sucks at life, can we please make that an illness...because there would probably be a lot of people diagnosed with it.

R

It was so obvious that this was going on. It is ashame people automatically label her a drug addict before looking at the whole situation.