"Lost" Diary -- Enter 77

3/8/2007 3:18 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

A lot of the comments said I was too harsh on last week's episode. Now, I did find myself enjoying the episode as it unfolded, but when it was done, and I realized nothing had really happened, I was pissed off. "Lost" is (was?) the kind of show where you absolutely could not miss a single episode or else you wouldn't know what was going on the following week. You could have easily skipped the last two shows and been fine and that's just not what "Lost" is about. Thus, that's the reason I hated last week's show.

This week I am with the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt. Lauren had a dream that tonight's episode of "Lost" would be good. So assuming Lauren can predict the future, we're in for a good show. Let's roll:

10:00 -- Sawyer is mulling around the beach and acting pissy. He calls the new guy "Zorro," and it has now officially reached the point where Sawyer's nickname-calling has jumped the shark for me.

10:01 -- Sayid, Locke, Kate and Rousseau are making their way through the woods, looking for the Others. Note to the producers: more Locke, please!

10:03 -- Old MacOther had a farm, E-I-E-O.

10:06 -- When Sawyer starts bitching about his stuff, I just can't stand it. Does he not have anything more pressing to worry about than his copy of Guns & Ammo? But when Sawyer said "Who are you?" to the new chick, that was great.

10:07 -- My lord, it's like a dream come true. Sun wants Sawyer to stop using nicknames if they win the ping pong match. I LOVE IT!!!

10:08 -- Sayid and the gang are planning on going into the farm. Rousseau has never seen the place. For someone who has been there for 18 years, she does not know the island well at all.

10:10 -- It's Sayid flashback time and he is a chef now. Apparently, he is a good chef because the guy from "Crash" is offering him a job at his restaurant.

10:11 -- Patchy (Mikhail) shot Sayid in the arm and has proclaimed himself the last living member of the Dharma Initiative. I wouldn't lead with that on your resume, pal.

10:16 -- Mikhail is giving us his life story and how he got involved with the Dharma Initiative. He's been on the island 11 years, his hatch is called The Flame, and his job is to "communicate with the outside world." Information is coming fast and furious.

10:18 -- All of the members of the Dharma Initiative died in a war against the Hostiles and the satellite dish doesn't work.

10:19 -- Back to the flashback, where Sayid is going to check out the restaurant, only something tells me Sammy isn't really looking for a chef.

10:21 -- Yeah, Sayid is in trouble. He tortured the wrong person, I am guessing.

10:22 -- Mikhail is quite the host, though something tells me Locke shouldn't be playing that chess game; think "War Games."

10:23 -- Locke couldn't possibly beat the unbeatable computer in chess ...

10:24 -- Sayid thinks Mikhail is lying and that he's not alone. This could get good.

10:27 -- Back on the beach, it's Sawyer vs. Hurley for ping pong supremacy. Ari says he wants to play Sawyer in ping pong; Lauren wants to play him in tonsil hockey. To each their own.

10:29 -- Most fans like Sayid more than I do, but I do enjoy it when he's interrogating someone -- especially when that someone doesn't know they are being interrogated. But I guess Mikhail caught on Sayid's questioning and opted for "ass whooping" over small talk.

10:31 -- Locke was a tad late to get in on the action, wasn't he?

10:33 -- When you're chained to the ground, and someone threatens to cut you up and put in a duffel bag, I don't care who you are, that's got to worry you a little bit.

10:34 -- Sayid did his best Columbo impression to figure out that Mikhail (if that is his name) wasn't alone because the stirrups on the horse outside were set for someone much shorter than Mikhail. Uh, just one more thing Mikhail ...

10:37 -- Sayid won't admit to torturing Sammy's wife. Not sure if I believe him or not.

10:39 -- Is Locke really going to leave Mikhail unguarded to keep playing computer chess?

10:40 -- Yeah he is.

10:41 -- So what do you think happens when Locke wins the chess match? Someone should tell him the whole place is wired with explosives.

10:42 -- "Manual override achieved ... For mainland communication, enter 3-8." Didn't work. "For sonar access, enter 5-6." Neither did that one. How about, "To be magically teleported off the island and straight to Las Vegas, press 7-2"?

10:43 -- And Mikhail woke up. Fun while it lasted. Is it weird that while all this is going on, I can't help but think, "What's going on with the ping pong match?"

10:44 -- Hey, how weird, someone got the drop on Kate. That almost never happens. By the way, I missed Ms. Klugh.

10:45 -- And now I'll miss her forever. RIP Ms. Klugh.

10:49 -- The ping pong match is over and Hurley whooped up on Sawyer. Kinda wanted to see the whooping take place. Oh well.

10:50 -- To kill or not to kill Mikhail, that is the question. He ain't going anywhere.

10:53 -- Boring story about feeling safe, Sayid cries, Sammy's wife forgives him. Blah, blah, blah.

10:57 -- Sayid tells Rousseau that he won't kill Mikhail. Torture is fine. Murder? Not so much.

10:59 -- Maybe Locke shouldn't have typed 7-7.

Alright, so what did we learn this week? The Others would rather be dead than captured ... They would rather the hatches be destroyed than used by someone else ... The Others and the Dharma workers had a war at some point ... Sayid found a map to the Others hideout.

I honestly don't know what to make of this episode. Everything we were told came from a guy who was lying about who he was, so who knows what's true and what isn't. I couldn't help but wonder, was Kelvin lying way back when when he told Desmond he was in Dharma?

Maybe I am being too hard again, but I give this episode a C+. We learned a couple of interesting things (I think), and seeing Sawyer humbled is always good.

But here is my problem with the last few weeks -- there were no TiVo Moments. When "Lost" is at its best, you have to grab the remote a couple of times an episode and either pause it so you can talk about what just happened, or rewind it because what you just saw HAD to be seen again. When Locke and Eko watched the Dharma training video, we immediately rewound it and watched it again. When Locke found the map on the back of the hatch door, we went back, paused it, and studied it as best we could. That is what a good episode of "Lost" does. I haven't done that once in the last three weeks.

So my question of the week is simple: I was completely befuddled about what to make out of this week's show and I need your help. Give me your grade. I am hoping someone can talk me into believing this week's show was better than I realize.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dash

Sawyer's "Who are you" was the best, summed up what everyone watching is thinking. I thought the episode was good, I liked the Sayid flashback - I like getting the back story and seeing why these people are who they are. Sawyer calling Hurley Grimace was also priceless.

yo momma

i don't think the others wired the hatch to explode...darhma did it so the hatches wouldn't fall into the hands of the others. i agree with you for the first time on your rating..lost gave us what we asked for...some information...but the delivery wasn't so great.

Diane

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! I'VE BEEN WATCHING LOST FROM THE BEGINNING AND HAVE THOUGHT TO MYSELF MANY TIMES, "I CAN'T WATCH THIS ANYMORE" BUT I KEEP BEING DRAWN TO IT. HOWEVER, I WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LAST FEW SHOWS AND I WISH THEY WOULD MOVE THE STORYLINE FASTER AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT NEVER SEEM TO GET ANSWERED. DOES ANYONE ELSE GET CONFUSED ABOUT THE STORYLINE AND/OR THE CHARACTERS? THEIR STORIES ARE SO FAR APART THAT ITS HARD TO KEEP UP W/WHO'S WHO SOMETIMES!!!

ali

All I will say is that last night, the first thing that went through my mind at 11 p.m. was, "Lost is back, baby!" THINGS actually HAPPENED. And there were lots of shots with Sayid's sexiness in the frame. That's always good.

Cate

This is the only website I can catch up on Lost. For the past 3 weeks I have missed it only because I could never find it on any of the stations at said time. Then I find out it was shown at 7 p.m. so lastnight at 7 p.m. I tried to find Lost and it's not on. Then at 10 p.m., not on, not in the listings. I'm getting peeved. Does Canada even show Lost anymore? But... in all honesty.... according to you, I didn't miss much.

Dannielle

I totally agree with you, lost just isn't want it use to be. Instead of a sophmore slump it is more like a "junior" slump. The show needs to get something good going, PLEASE!!!
Ps. I am really glad that the cat made it out of the barn/house/bunker before locke blew it up! :)

Diane

I agree that Sawyer's comment said it all for me!!! We certainly do not need any added charchters to this show.

Kim

I really feel that you have been way too harsh on "Lost" lately. I usually agree with your assessments, but the past couple of weeks I think the episodes have been great. Maybe I'm just gullible, but I thought this past one especially had lots of exciting moments, and I was so happy to see the story focus on Sayid with a good amount of John Locke in there. C+? Give me a break.

Don

I really liked this episode. It had some good action which has been lacking as of late. Sawyer calling Hurley Avalanche was good too.

Ash1969

I thought this episode was good although it was kind of predictable. We actually knew what was going to happen with Locke and the computer, which is unusual. Overall though it was good! I love the show and hope it stays around for awhile longer.

Bo

I would love to help you out, but I too am confused. It started out so strong, until we find out that Mikhail has been lying to Sayid the whole time. So how much can we believe of what he told us? Thought we were finally making some headway until the rug was pulled out from under us.

I am starting to believe Locke is working for the island in some possessed kind of way. He had to know the place would blow up, I think Locke never wants to leave. He enjoys walking again and his status on the island. This is like some large family for Locke, which he needs to keep him going. Locke is evil and his agenda is hidden from us right now.

Also the stupid french chick, how can Sayid not sense something sneaky from her? She is holding way too much back, Danielle needs to come clean about how she plays into all this. 16 years on the island and you never found a farm with animals, horse shoe prints, or Othersville? Yet you map out almost the entire island, how is that?

Vader

Great episode, very tense and well acted. Patchy told Sayid that everything he said was true with the exception of being w/ the Dharma Initiative. I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode and you can't ask for anything more.

kristy

When Eye Patch said he was the last living member from the Dharma group, I was like, now we are getting somewhere...but it was all lies and we are now back at square boring with nothing being solved except there may or may not be a way to talk to the outside world and Locke blew that chance up...so...I give it a B because I only nodded off once and the last 2 episodes, I completly fell asleep.

Simone

I enjoyed the episode. Even if I did have several 'saw that coming' moments during it.

Sun's suggestion of no nicknames had me chuckling. I love the folks at the beach except the two new ones (who I really don't see the point of). Sawyer's hair was a bit scary. Odd though that he's still sexy even while wearing a very girly pony tail thing. Hurley was a gracious winner and it amused me to no end that he brought Sawyer back his girly magazines.

For a smart man Locke is such an idiot. What's his obsession with the computers? You think he just might have learned his lesson after his experiences with the computer in the first Hatch but no, let's play chess and lets him 77. He definitely deserved to be punched for that one.

Was that the same cat? It looked like the same cat although islandcat was a bit skinner but I imagine that pickings are pretty slim for a cat on a tropical island.

The crying scene with Sayid killed me. He's so not the tears type and the way he kept blinking. Stick to the stoic silence Sayid, please? Thanks.

So now we're off to the barracks. Mark my words letting eye patch man live NOT a good idea on Sayid's part. He should just let Danielle shoot him and be done with it. We know that he's an Other and he'll kill our castaway friends at the first chance.

I give the epi a B over all. We did learn something, never press 77 after beating a cheating computer at chess. Hurley can kick ass at ping pong and Sawyer's not going to have many lines for the next few episodes because what's he gonna say without nicknames?

Don

How did Mikhail untie himself?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments