Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

Only in

I'm so sick and tired of this politically correct shit that I'm not gonna take it anymore,Call it like it is, faggolas.Our society has no room for these loons.If you don't like our laws,get the f**k out of here and take your stupid looking dogs with you.

Brother Harold, S.J.

THIS GUY IS SO DAMN UGLY HE MAKES MY TEETH HURT. MAYBE HIS PROBLEM IS THAT NO SELF-RESPECTING GAY WOULD GIVE HIM SEX--WHICH HE DOUBTLESS WANTS.

Dave

I agree with him.
Our whole country has gone to hell.

Everything in this world needs to be accepted or you are looked upon as a bigot.
I am sick of it.
What's next... "Oh, it's ok he decided to have sex with that 12yr old boy, it's a lifestyle he chooses to live... and who are we to condem it?"

Oh.. wait a minute. The Jacko freaks have already use that argument haven't they?

We have NO morals at all anymore.
It makes me sick to think of the country my children will inherit.

Blast me if you want to.. I don't care!!

I would go as far as to say the majority of the country feels the same way I do, they are just to scared to admit it.

God forbid someone actually have a moral backbone anymore!!

Lisa

GARRISON ROCKS!

He is just as wry and witty and sardonic as he was last year, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.... More power to those who "dare" to not confirm to Politically Correct vernacular... Let Americans speak their mind!

Koren

Some people yearn for the days of yards, mom & dad and boiled potatoes. People yearn for a lot of things to return- the days of women vaccuuming in high heels, the days of Jim Crow laws, hell I'd bet money that there were some people out there who yearned for the return of the days of "free love" as well (heh). It may be fortunate or unfortunate depending on your perspective, but those days are over. The world is a very different place. Not that it is the moral responsibility of a woman to mother children and stay home to care for them, but among those who would choose to, most can't afford to which is a symptom of our greed as a nation, and we have no one but ourselves to blame if there aren't any more boiled potatoes. I am sure that there are gay men out there that cringe the way I do at the thought of being constantly viewed through the lense of the most extreme stereotypes of their orientation. For me it's tantamount to having a person outside of my culture watch a night of Univision or Telemundo and base their entire opinion of me by an episode of "Sabado Gigante" or "Laura en America". *cringe* However, I understand that by synthesizing these stereotypes we are able to demoralize people. If you don't believe me, take a class in the origins of American racism or gender studies and you'll see how propagating and perpetuating images of African-Americans as biologically inferior or women as hysterical and constant invalids has allowed for a great deal of subjugation and for those who are at the top to stay at the top. The same applies to gay and lesbian men and women. If we continue to perpetuate these images of squeelish gay man running around in pink pants and masculinized Birkenstock wearing women who are both some wierd mutation and miscarriage of nature, we can continue to assert a position of superiority over them. I think the real miscarriages of nature are people like Ted Haggard. I don't believe Keillor's comments are meant maliciously and are at best misguided. I think he needs to do a little soul searching. Unfortunately, most people don't until the day they find out they have a gay or lesbian son or daughter ;)

Buck Ramone

Keillor's absolutely right.
I'm a homophobe, and proud of it. We're here. Get used to it.

TeamBirkhead!

Hey t time-

Unlike the flamboyant gays that Garrison is discussing here, my children wouldn't know if i had my husband, my dog, my "peanut butter" , my face massager or my lawn boy in my bedroom. Why? Because what I do in my bedroom STAYS in my BEDROOM.

get a clue

Only in

Jane is a Tranny whore

Jill

It's called satire.

If TMZ knew anything about Garrison, they'd know that.

t time

princess the ruler - those who doth protest too much...sounds like you have some carpet munching issues to get through.

Jill

Number 62.

Newsflash: Garrison was satirizing people like you. Thanks for helping him prove his point.

*rolleyes*

angel46

Oh, I LOVE this guy. He is really funny. Hey, it's okay to say you like gays AND it okay to say you don't like them. To me, it all depends on the person himself. Some gays I like or dislike and some straights I like or dislike. I do have to say tho, I don't think two like-gender people should be in a "marriage." Maybe some type of legal "partner" ceremony, but just don't think it should be exactly the same as a man/woman marriage. Just my personal opinion.

TROLL SMASHERS

INFERTILITY DOESN'T EFFECT EVERY STRAIGHT COUPLE OBVIOUSLY, YOU NOR I WOULDN'T BE HERE.

DID I MISS SOMETHING BECAUSE LAST I CHECKED THERE HAVE , NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, IN THE HISTORY OF MAN BEEN TWO MEN OR TWO WOMEN ABLE TO CONCEIVE.

THAT IS MY POINT -

JANE - WHAT IS YOUR RELIGION THAT SAYS HOMOSEXUALLY IS OKAY, I'D LOOOOVE TO KNOW - OR DO YOU LIVE OUTSIDE OF RELIGION IN ORDER TO KEEP SATISFYING PERVERTED LUST

skip

What is wrong with you TMZ? This is sarcasm form of humor by GK! Can't you figure that out? TMZ should stick to minor celeb stories including comments apparently by kids and teens.

Max

Forget trying to figure out the nuanced humor of Keillor and just stick to the sensational tidbits -- yer not up to it.