Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

Only in

It didn't take long before you cockaroaches came out of your nest.Calling names,cursing and throwing sexual acts at the normal people.Get over it,you will never be accepted,stay in the closet and we will all be happy.

t time

Jen- wow, you are really showing your ignorance...just b/c a child has 2 gay parents does not mean that they know what is going on in their bedroom either. Your brother called, from your bedroom- he has the lawn boy and your dog ready, hope you all have fun.

Matt

Where to begin? Looking at Mr. Keillor's personal life gives you a glimpse of his own moral compass.
The hatred towards gay people is sickening. So many people have no perspective on well much of anything. Gay people forcing acceptance on an unwilling society? Well I'm pretty sick of hardcore angry religious people forcing hatred on society.
Equating gay people to pedophiles and people who engage in beastility is disgusting to say the least, and when people say that I may as well equate every hetero sexual male to wife beaters, and every heterosexual woman as having munchausens.

Jane

Ann Coulter has the absolutely most sexy Adam's apple I've ever seen. Damn that dude's hot!!!

THE BEAUTIFUL MIND

To JANE, WHAT'S HAPPEN TO YOU ?

SEE HOW WRONG YOU FOLKS ARE, JUST TAKE THE TIME TO READ :

#56, #59, #60, #63

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TO JANE, PRINCESS THE RULER IS SO RIGHT!!!

YOU MUST BE A SICK PERSON, DISCUTING JUST LIKE THE OTHERS

PRINCESS THE RULER IS RIGHT

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ? ARE YOU HURT ? ARE WE HURTING YOUR FEELINGS ? YOU ARE CERTAINELY NOT HAPPY, JUST CHANGE AND YOU FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

AGAIN, PRINCESS THE RULER IS SO RIGHT !!!

THE BEAUTIFUL MIND

TO JANE, PRINCESS THE RULER IS SO RIGHT!!!

YOU MUST BE A SICK PERSON, DISCUTING JUST LIKE THE OTHERS

PRINCESS THE RULER IS RIGHT

AGAIN, PRINCESS THE RULER IS SO RIGHT !!!

E.J.

What I still don't hear from anyone else commenting on this non-story is that Keillor neither created nor proliferated the stereotypical gay male image that his humorous comment refers to.

The gay community proliferates it and the straight community jumps on board so as to seem like they're supportive of gay rights. They'll put their money behind it because stereotypical gay males are funny -- but people aren't laughing with you, they're laughing at you. And just like every other community, the stereotype plays out that if you don't behave, act, or dress a certain way, listen to a certain kind of music, go to "gay" bats or watch a certain kind of movie, you're a pariah.

Funny to me that a community that has been so bashed for so long finally has a voice and we still use that voice as a means to be prejudicial to anyone who doesn't play by "the rules". I was raised to be accepting to people regardless of race, creed, color or sexual orientation. I can't say the same is true in my experience with the "gay community".

The concept of "I'm gay therefore I must like drag" or "I'm gay therefore I must like show tunes" is a played out notion and I don't see anyone doing anything about it. We can't be just like everyone else and be different at the same time. It doesn't work that way.

And I still think Keillor's comment is funny.

anny

Why does TMZ care? Does most of their staff wear polka dot shirts? TMZ is hetrophopic.

Jill

THE BEAUTIFUL MIND--

You prove that bigotry and bad grammar go hand in hand.

bill

PRINCESS THE RULER FUCK YOU dosen't religion also tell us to love one another all i see you doing is hating on others. You would probably disown your gay son too if you had one treat other people with respect you are no better then anyone so get off you high religous horse you bitch

angel46

I was so disappointed to learn that Anderson Cooper AND Shepherd Smith (on Fox news) was Gay! Sorry, but I like my newsmen masculine and sexy. Seems like gay guys have "dead" eyes - no sparkle. Haha - I guess they sparkle for guys tho, not gals!!

Only in

You faggolas are like vampires,you keep trying to suck the good out of our Country. I got news for you! I'm not going to let you suck anything! You people need help,I have written Congress and the President that there is deism in the Gay community,and we are in danger of loosing our moral values.Further more a special committee will be set up to deal with these life styles so they don't hinder the general population.The time has come,say goodbye to any rights you may have fought for because soon you will have no more!

t time

Religion is the root of all evil!

TROLL SMASHERS

Facts of Life Paul Kline???? or am I thinking of someone else??

t time

lovely- You are one stupid bitch...and by bitch I mean dog, so if you are married then your husband is fucking a dog and it must already be legal to marry a fucking stupid bitch.