"Project Runway" Hits Turbulence

4/4/2007 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Project RunwayTMZ has learned that L.A. casting for the new season of "Project Runway" was a fashion disaster!

Sources tell TMZ that auditions held this weekend at the downtown Standard Hotel had a record low turnout. We're told that since lines were not very long, production staff members were "scrambling" to contact more up-and-coming designers to show up. In the words of the incomparable Tim Gunn, "Make it work!" Perhaps the fear of being 'auf'ed' by Season 3 winner Jeffrey Sebelia, who was a judge during this weekend's session, kept all the wannabe Donatellas and Gallianos away!

Other "Runway" alumni were spotted at the session, including Season 2's Nick Verreos and "bad boy" Santino Rice. Despite the L.A. faux pas, the new season of the highly addictive reality show is scheduled to premiere this summer.

A rep for "Project Runway" could not be immediately reached.

Fan Site Insider

Well, the first day Robert Best was sitting at the judges' table so the fear of Jeffrey Sebelia wouldn't have been a valid excuse to avoid auditioning.

Maybe it's the fact that the prize wouldn't be enough to adequately launch a fashion line.

Maybe it's because the manufactured drama overshadows any ability to demonstrate talent. Who wants to look like an ass (or a bigger ass) thanks to the magic of editing?

Maybe it's because anyone with an emerging fashion career can't go without pay for weeks since Bravo pays nothing to the eliminated contestants.

Just some informed thought.

Marissa

Heidi's sons look just like her, especially their hair!!!!!!!!!!

Idolwatcher

why would jeffrey be a judge???? he was horribly rude and disrespectful in the episodes (slick editing or the real deal?) to many of the designers and others on the show and i don't consider him a professional anyway - maybe when his clothes are available to the masses (if anyone truly wants to pay him for anything) he should be judging other designers. he wasn't the best last year. Michael had it going on and his clothes would be on the streets everywhere by now had he won. Uli was amazing as well but higher end and more expensive most likely.

Trish

COMCAST cable company DOES NOT OFFER BRAVO in my new neighborhood in Florida.

I am so angry about it and don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Idolwatcher

BRING BACK SANTINO - as a judge or a competitor!!!

Thea

I met Jeffery last week and found him to be very pleasant and he spoke to me for a fair amount of time. I saw his Fall 2007 line, upclose and personal; it is quite good with some interesting textures and fabrics. They are made very well, too. I was not a fan of his during the show, but he did have the most cutting edge runway at Fashion Week. Uli was too much of a one note designer - it's a beautiful note, but it is not enough.

As for PR - wouldn't it be fun to have an "all-stars"? Designers that didn't win, but that we would love to see have a second chance?? Nick, Santino, Robert - etc?? I think that would be so great! 'Specially since l LOVE Nick!

Madeline

Can Not Wait To The New Project Runway

Should Be Exciting

heather

I was an avid PR fan too before last season's travesty. I have also said I will not watch the new seasons, which I am sticking to. I actually believed the show was bringing up the best talent and awarding those WHO DESERVED IT. not some scumbag in ratty UGLY clothing who already had his own GD fashion line and shouldn't have been in the competition in the first place. I almost cried when he was announced the winner. Unlike American Idol and all those other "instant celebrity" reality shows, Project Runway was different because you had to actually have talent, skill and beat deadlines to win it. But now I know that it was just a ratings-hungry reality BS fest the whole time.

me

Jeffrey was great,design wise his additude and cockyness sucked..............it went to his head and he left his girl thats why I would never ever buy a thing with his name on it!!

Madeline

Is Nina Garcia and Michael Coors going to be on the show again. I hope so.

MSB

PROJECT RUNWAY IS FUN TO WATCH, BUT THE SHOW IS AN INDUSTRY JOKE, THE KISS OF DEATH TO ANY UP AND COMING DESIGNER!!!! NOT ONE WINNER HAS DONE ANYTHING MAJOR!!!

urallhaterswithnoexpertise

Hey people.
I'd like to know who all of you are and where your expertise is to be so critical of Jeffreys clothing. I am no expert and I know we all have our own opinions and are entitled to them. But Jeffrey is very talented and versatile. Project Runway isn't a respect, personality or behavior competition. Sure he probably did and said some things he shouldn't have. Doesnt change the fact that he's talented and deserving. Get over it. I was rooting for him by the end. All of Uli's stuff was too alike. Laura made fabulous clothes but Jeffrey was my favorite. Laura was far more conniving and fake. Atleast Jeffrey said it all to their face.

louis1970

Please people, Jeffrey had nothing to do w/ the low turn out. The fact that these auditions took FOREVER to finally get here had something to do w/ it. PR3 wrapped up a long ass time ago, so there is no fever to get in line as it would have been if auditions were held relatively soon after PR3 ended. It's common sense that when a show takes this long to finally get the auditions in, people are slower to find out that there are even auditions taking place. Hell, I recently thought that PR was not going to even have a 4th season, due to Tim's leaving Parsons, his getting a new job, new book, and a new style show; however, Bravo was able to keep the great Gunn, and here we are having auditions when the show was supposed to air in July (from what I heard before), if they still manage to air the show on schedule (July), then Bravo's pretty fast at slinging shows together.

Madeline

I got to watch hours of Project Runway on Saturday. It was great. I love this show.Still think Laura's clothes are so pretty. I do not think Jeff should have won lol. IMO

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2