Beyonce

Accused of a

Musical Cover-Up

4/18/2007 1:06 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Beyoncé Knowles is going to war with a pop star from the past who claims the former Destiny's Child star covered her song, but didn't cover her ass.

0418_beyonce_launch_fm-1 Click to hear audio!
According to a lawsuit filed yesterday in Manhattan Federal Court by music administators, Beyoncé allegedly never obtained proper clearance to cover a song called "I'm Kissing You," originally co-written by a singer named Des'ree -- famous for her 1994 smash hit, "You Gotta Be." Des'ree's version was used in Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film "Romeo and Juliet," Beyoncé's version can be found on the re-release of her album, "B'Day."

In the lawsuit, Des'ree and her reps claim that Beyoncé, along with her record company people, originally tried to work out a deal to use the song. When they weren't satisfied with the proposed terms -- which included not being able to change the title or make a music video for the song -- Beyoncé allegedly blew off copyright law completely, and recorded the song and video without permission. The song was eventually released on Beyoncé's album, "B'Day - Deluxe Edition" on April 3, 2007, with the title "Still in Love (Kissing You)."

Des'ree is suing to halt distribution of the song, video and album and seeking at least $150,000 in damages.

Lawyers for Beyoncé and Des'ree couldn't be reached for comment.

nricepgh

thats what she get for thinking she's all that and that her selfishness won't catch up to her

yahpete

This woman should have more exposure :)

Mrs. Laughing Pants

An individual work must be protected at all cost. It is always a good idea to get permission before infringing on someone's work. One is never too old to learn. This situation is a learning experience for everyone concerned.

Sha'Ron Edmond

I really listened to both songs and they sounded almost the same to me, but slightly different. I like Beyonce' and all, but we have to remember that she doesn't have much education behind her. Beyonce', I am not hating on you at all, but maybe you should have gone to school and you would have known that stealing from other artist/ writer's only gets you a law suit. Stick to your orginal music girl, it's safer.

Grow Up

@83 Nobody always hates on Beyonce. The last time I checked it's called an opinion. Step out of your delusional world and recognize that the girl is a liar and a thief. She stole that song and she should pay for what she has done as simple as that. I think you need to put yourself in the shoes of the people that she have taken advantage of and then you will realize they are just standing up for themselves. Who is Beyonce to let walk all over you? Answer nobody and she have a buch of low self esteem fans running right behind her. So in conclusion get a life and some morals because Beyonce is not the best thing that life has to offer.

Dawn Day

Uh oh gurl!

caramel

it's on now....Beyonce gotta pay the piper....

Frankie Hoge

DAMN...!! YOU MEAN THAT SOME ONE HAS THE GALL TO ASK HER TO PAY ??? AFTER ALL SHE THNKS SHE IS ABOUE PAYING.....SUE HER ASSW...........HELL...SUE HER PRODUCERS AND ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUE...SUE....SUE.....

Sillyme

And only $150 grand? What a stupid lawyer.. sheese!

kim

can't stand beyonce-she just thinks she is all that

TROLL SMASHERS

I knew this would happen, I saw the video last week and I was wondering about that. She changed some of the lyrics but was singing the chorus and i thought that was strange in terms of copyrights and all the music industry blah blah...

well it's not like she can't afford to pay the measly $150,000 - let's just hope she does because that is a beautiful song and it was a big song for Deseree who didn't get to much hype here in the states, she's probably insulted.

Jane

Time to pay up, B! If anyone should know better....
Des'ree - damn, I was wondering what happened to her...

JEWISH PRINCESS

Doesn't really surprise me. Beyonce thinks she's above everyone, because people ALLOW her to behave that way. Learning that from the drug dealer she's with, I guess. Exactly what kind of values did her parents instill in her??

vanessaem

Why did Des'ree sue for more? I would've. She could sure use the money.

Big D

good...they should sue her. When I heard B's version of it, I was appalled.
she raped it...bad.