Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

lala

I wasn't happy when I saw it, but I think he's right. He was rolling his eyes about the VT tragedy. It was about the nasal singing.

Bad timing, Simon.

sgrant

Some of you who are so angry with Simon have learned nothing from the tragedy at
Virginia Tech -- lessons about love and forgiveness toward our fellow human beings.
I believe Simon was reacting to Chris' nasal defense. Let's join together to mourn with
Va. Tech instead of finding new ways to be negative and divisive. Life is hard at best, and
we are all in it together. Let's give each other a helping hand and forgive -- and give Simon
the benefit of the doubt!

Meowch

Oh hell, I don't know why Simon rolled his eyes. Perhaps Paula suggested they get it on after the show. Let's all watch the show tonight and see if it's mentioned. Then we can all be back here tomorrow for another go at it. And GOOOOO HOKIES!!

jee jee

i think this has turned into a circus.....this is supposed to be a singing competition.....my family and i have stopped watching the show because of all the unfairness....its sad to watch people voted off that dont deserve to be while someone else stays that cannot sing....what is the point of the competition anymore......the saddest part of all of this is that americans are helping to ruin a show that we all enjoyed......whats gonna happen when there is no more show....i guess they will look for something else.....i suggest it stops now....sooo the show does not fade away......i think people can only take one season of this

lala

Ooops , I meant to say he WASN''T rolling his eyes about the VT tragedy.

Chris

I agree with SuperStarSteve, at first I thought Simon was rolling his eyes because he thought that Chris being opportunistic after being given a bad review, which is what I thought at first too. I probably rolled my eyes as well, not at the horrible tragedy that happened, but at Chris's bad timing. I completely believe Simon, though. Oh, and the whole "nasal is a form of singing?" Shut up, Chris.

len

with out simon idol would not be what it is someone needs to tell it like it is pick on the other 2 jokes and leave simon be

jeanhump

If Simon wasn't such a hard-hearted man , he couldn't be so cruel to the contestants. By the way, if they are as bad as he says, why did he pick them and keep them on the show up til the last 12.

rpj

Mandy you better take a deep breath and open your eyes. Jumping all over Simon and expecting him to apologize to the students of VT is ridiculous! He's a judge not an American spokesman! Lay off the guy he was doing his job by judging and reacting to Chris' excuses and claims... Mandy...you need to get a life!

Crystal

I personally don't like the show but I have watched that clip over and over. I never seen Paula Abdul's mouth move---just her shaking her head concerning the comment made to VA Tech. Just by seeing that short video it looks like he is guilty. I think for him to clear this us they need to take the show and cut it down and proof that he was speaking to Paula. I really don't take this lightly---this is a unreal situation and so many people affected. My heart and prayers goes out to all that is suffering. I live only 1.5 hours away from the campus and VT is such a huge place for West Virginians also.

Jen

Simon rolled his eyes at Chris' comment about Tech as he felt Chris was trying to play the sympathy card due to his negative remarks. I live 40 miles from this tragedy and do not know anyone personally that was harmed, however, I like many people in this area do know someone who has been affected by this and it is not a joke. You never think it is going to happen here and then it does, and your kinda numb for awhile hoping it is a dream or something. Then on national TV you have someone that doesn't mind pointing fault in everyone else, roll his eyes at something has no freaking clue about "SYMPATHY". Simon is an A** regarding this matter, I am sure Chris does know someone effected by this nightmare and only had a brief moment to say hey I am thinking about you guys. Simon was busted and tried to back peddle his way out of it with some BS ramblings. I may be taking this a bit to personal, but, my belief is if you screw up, stand up and be a man, admit you did this because you thought Chris was using the sympathy card and not lie about it. Nasally my foot!!! Simon I enjoy you 99% of the time, but, I think it is going to take awhile to get over this one. Just keeping it real dawg!

Tim

One has to be a complete idiot to think that Simon did anything wrong.

He was responding Mr. Nasal Singer trying to say he sung the song that way on purpose.

Additionally, if there was anyone that acted wrong, with was Nasal Boy. He tag on, seemed nothing but an attempt to win favor with the audience.

Simon did nothing wrong.

DUKE

ALL YOU JAGS THAT DON'T LIKE SIMON & THE SHOW....GO TO HELL. DON'T WATCH. QUIT SCREWING IN BUSINESS YOU DON'T BELONG. VOTE FOR THE WORST? YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN SMUMBAGS WITH NO LIFE. YOU ARE LOWER THAN WHALESHIT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN. GET A LIFE RETARDS.

Daphne Harrison

Desperation made Chris mention VT in such an innapropriate way - opporunistic in my opinion. No one in the world, especially the USA is not saddened by what happened. So for Chris to make out that he's sorrier than everyone else, and then to speedily insert his condolences into a banal exchange about his singing made me cringe, and was very disrespectful.

I believe that Simon did roll his eyes at the self-serving way Chris mentioned the tragedy and I totally understand why.

Barbara

This is the worse group of singers yet