NBC -- Oh, the Humanity. Oh, the Ratings!

4/19/2007 11:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Minutes after the vile press kit sent from the Virginia Tech killer arrived at NBC studios in New York yesterday, one sound clearly resonated through Rockefeller Center -- cha-ching!

While the network did a great job quickly putting together riveting news packages in a short time, and making sure the tapes were rushed to the FBI rather quickly -- they also did a swell job of first making copies of all the horrific contents for themselves. Then, on the same day that it was announced that NBC was getting whooped in the ratings, the blitzkrieg promotion campaign began.

After spreading the haunting, pathetic video of the killer over the course of last night's 30-minute NBC Nightly News broadcast -- and masterfully teasing even more disgusting clips every step of the way -- Brian Williams warned a shell-shocked nation that his network would do everything in its power to "prevent any more martyrs or heroes from emerging from the tragedy" -- then, in the same breath, he teased more scumbag TV on this morning's "Today Show." Dude, we get the game -- don't try to hide it.

angry in NY

Isn't this the same network that fired Imus because they have a strong reputation for integrity??????? NBC is a disgrace. The kids at that school have been through enough! Do they have to see the animal that did this spewing his BS and holding the weapons he used to hurt these people on TV????????? It is a scarey thought that in the world today a bad word or a womans breast on TV causes such a big deal but showing an animal like this and allowing him to speak on public airwaves is OK!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? I did NOT watch it and I have not been watching NBC nor will I again. NBC had always been the station that I watched for news and entertainment.....NO MORE.

Maddy

When TMZ removes the video and the pictures from this site, I will believe your righteous indignation.

What's wrong with her face in this picture?

I am as horrified by the shootings as anyone, but that said ..... there is not a news organization in the world that would not have run the pictures or video. It was sent to them.

Let's learn as much about the mind of these types of killers, so perhaps more people will see the warning signs and be able to help prevent the next one.

I also think that when he applied for the purchase of the gun, had the request also gone through the school, it would have shown his 2 stalking incidents, concerns of teachers and most importantly, that he had been held in a mental institution. There needs to be MORE done for us to be able to buy guns. A 5 minute wait or an hour wait - not enough time. The application should go through more of a process vs. what is in place now.

God bless every victim, family and friend of those affected by this horrid tragedy!!

haha

Thanks for showing the tapes, made me see that this guy is mentally ill, and he had a problem that he couldn't control. People are mad about NBC for showing it, but I bet you all were watching it too.

haha

NBC didn't rush to put it on TV they gave it to the Police first; they handle it in a good way. You watch the News all the time and see people getting killed in the war we are in. I don’t know why people are making a big deal out of it. Everyone wanted to see the video to understand why this guy did it.

EH0612

AS horrific and disturbing as this is.....it is NEWS plain and simple. The public has the right to see it and make their own judgements......Just like 9/11, showing the planes hitting the tower constantly for days upset tons of people and in the end...they stopped showing it. But it was also NEWS.
NOT NEWS ....Showing LIVE for days a trial about a dead pinup, tabloid star's body is not news.......but a lot of people watched!!!!!!!

Monica

I am disgusted with NBC firstly for airing that "press kit". Now it is on every news station , internet etc.....
They should be focusing on letting the victims's families & Virginia Tech students/staff mourn & and give them space and time to heal.
My thoughts and prayers are with them all. May peace & love endure this world.

Dawn Day

It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Praying for Larry and Dannylynn

Greed and ratings run NBC! They should be fired for airing this mass murderer's rantings. Where are the last words of the 32 victims? These families should sue NBC news for adding to the grief they are dealing with. The new moral authority in America, commit mass murder and become the main story on the nightly news!!!!! Capus should personally apologize to every family member for his incredibly poor judgement!!! Shame on NBC for airing what was probably the last image these victims witnessed. In the mean time NBC STOP showing this over and over and over again. The damage is done! STOP !!!

MP

Seeing his face on the fronts of newspapers was enough for me. I have chosen to not watch any news channels with his videos on it. The next thing we know there will be copycats because the media is giving this madman airtime...........

ChrisDTV

Those NBC News-trash are in BIG trouble today:

"NBC faces backlash: Families cancel appearances over gunman video" at: http://blog.americasnewstoday.com/2007/04/19/nbc-faces-backlash-families-cancel-appearances-over-gunman-video.aspx

"NBC faces backlash: Police 'disappointed' in Va. Tech killer's video" at:

MS. M

I am BOYCOTTING MSNBC/CBS for what they did to IMUS....a voice for US that did so much in representing us against so much that is wrong in America....my moral compass knows when to turn something off that offends me....what OFFENDS me is when a group of private citizens (mediamatters.org) decides for me what is offensive....that is CENSORSHIP....BOYCOTT MSNBC/CBS....sweeps are coming in May they need to TANK for effecting our RIGHTS to listen to whomever we want....sterilization of the airwaves....a voice for US was SILENCED.....stand up for what is right & BOYCOTT MSNBC/CBS.

annalise

TMZ, you're guilty of the same thing as NBC! NBC might've received the packet first, but in true hypocritical fashion, you glorified this bastard by posting pix & video of him. Shame on you!

Avery

I have never been so angered at the media - especially NBC - in all my life! WHY? WHY do they keep showing the videos, photos, and writings that the killer made - OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again! It's down right SICKENING! I've boycotted the news until I hear word that they have taken him off! They shoudn't be fixated on this! I would much rather learn about the young adults who lost their lives in this tragedy - they had their whole lives ahead of them - I would love to know more about them! WORD TO THE MEDIA - PLEASE! STOP SHOWCASING THE KILLER! WE'VE HEARD ENOUGH ABOUT HIM! Please, showcase the beautiful young adults - honor them - we want to know more about them - their dreams, their accomplishments - etc.
It's so clear the media only cares about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and ratings. I hate what the media has become!

Lita

TMZ, your hipocrysy is amazing!!!! You act all outraged at NBC for showing the photos and video they received. They knew it would draw ratings. If people hadn't watched it, maybe they would have learned that nobody cares about this psycho. However, you have the pictures posted on your website. You are no better than NBC.