Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

vonnie

i want to say that i understand the frustration you feel and even understand the episode while i feel that i wasnt incorrect for you to speak to her like that sometimes kids nowadays need some strong language. I am a mother of 4 girls no boys i understand. Good luck and i will be praying for you and your family

elizabeth cohen

Life is so very short and if we are blessed with children we should always cherish and treasure them. If your marriage doesn't work out that's okay, but to involve your child in your (kims) hellish desire to obstruct a father's love is horrendeous!!! I am divorced and have 4 children and 3 grandchildren and my ex and I have always kept a civil tongue between us. Our children love us both and love their step parents just as much. You see it can work out. But, if you are mean and ugly and vengeful, it's your child, NOT YOU, who will suffer in the long run. I hope Mr. Baldwin learns from this, and never ever trust the voice mail again. Talk to your daughter face to face she will see who is really at fault sooner rather than later.
God Bless

liz

val

Wheresthelove?

What a crock~ I don't care what he says, there's anger, and then there's rage. This was a rage-a-holic out of control and I'm glad he was outed.

Greg

Alex, get a life. As a parent myself you have miserable excuse. I pray your daughter is not scarred by you actions. Just no excuse at all for you actions.

Gloria Picchetti

No one will buy the book. They can get it up at the library free. I hope Ireland never speaks to you again. We all know your type, abusive.

BLT

I think that both of them need to stop playing these childish mind games with each other, its only hurting Ireland, who is being pulled in both directions. She is part of both of you, stop tearing her apart!

Kristen

Hmm... Sounds like a plug for his book to me... & damage control too of course since everyone sees what a piece of crap father he is now.

No matter what kind of divorce/custody issues you are having with your ex, it is uncalled for to take it out on the child.

Word.

Richard70435

I go through the same thing with my 2 kids and their cell phones.
However, I never call them horrible and degrading names. The overall
population of kids, nowdays, lack respect for their parent's in
general. He is not in a position to send her to a timeout or ground
her. Therefore, continue to send the child support payments and live
with it, Alec. He needs to have her call him at a given time. If she
does not call, send her an e-mail and go on with your day. Perhaps,
send her flowers and say, " I really wanted to talk to you yesterday
but you must have been too busy to call me, Love your Dad." What is
this when he said, "I have to run around looking for a phone to call
you." What, she has a cell phone and you don't? Give me a break!
You were having another bad day and just taking it out on Ireland,
again! There are also computers and webcams, Alec. Oh, btw maybe
she's just scared to death of you and hates you. If you talked to me
like that, I would snub your ass too. I would leak the message to the
press too if I felt my daughter was in danger from my spouses calls
and/or visits. Just because your parents talked to you like that
too, "DUVY" does not mean you were raised by good parents. Maybe
they need the same mental health help that Alec needs. (Anger
Management would be a good place to start)

SP

Good for you! Be the bigger person. Kids are smart - they will automatically go towards the parent who has their best interests at heart. On the other hand, if one parent is malicious towards the other parent the kids will close themselves off to that parent for fear they will be treated in like manner. While this might take time, eventually Ireland will choose for herself.

Me

There is NO excuse whatsoever for this type of behavior. None.

Get therapy, Alec. You need it.

Oh Puhsleazzz!

Save your apologies for your daughter, shes probably the only one that will buy it from your psycho ass. Dont you just hate that youve been exposed to what you really are! Like Ireland will ever answer your call again... lmao!
Word of advice psycho... pick your battles buddy, shes not even a teenager yet and not answering your call in nothing.

BLT

Wasnt there another actress that was doing a play with Alec Baldwin I think on Broadway about a year ago that quit because of his verbal abuse?

Oh Puhsleazzz!

1. YOU ARE A VICTIM OF A VITRIOLIC AND MALICIOUS EX WIFE .. and Alec Baldwin I am not your fan but my heart goes out to you and think you are a great father ... I am a mom and I would be more furious than you had my ex played this game with my child. YOU ARE A LOVING GREAT DAD .. from a mom who wishes all dad's were as good as you. You have a bad bad bad ex wife. I am sorry .. and I am a republican.

Posted at 5:13PM on Apr 20th 2007 by VAL

Alec? Is that you?

Shana

I dont care how bad it is between you and your ex wife! How could you talk to your child like that? It is so uncalled for. The problem that people have is that they do not know how to keep the child out of the relationship. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leave your daughter out of it!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments