Akon Apologizes -- I Didn't Know She Was Underage

5/9/2007 5:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

AkonTMZ has just received a statement from R&B singer Akon in response to the media firestorm over his onstage simulated sex romp with a 15-year-old during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago:

"First, and most important to me, I want to sincerely apologize for the embarrassment and any pain I've caused to the young woman who joined me on-stage, her family and the Trinidad community for the events at my concert in Port of Spain on April 12th.

It was never my intention to embarrass or take advantage of my fans in any way, especially those under the age of 18. That is why we tried to make sure that the club did not admit anyone under 18 in the audience. Somehow, that standard was not met.

Again, I apologize to those concerned and to all my fans and I pledge to all that we will strive to make sure this type of incident does not happen again."

sarah

What does the girl's age have to do with anything?? I've seen the video and it wasn't just some dirty wine dancing, the guy practicly molested her on stage, violently banging her head against the floor while he simulated to rape her. She had no possibility to get herself out of it, and when he was done with her, he left her laying on the floor like she was some sort of used piece of meat instead of a human being. It was really gross. Noone should be treated this way, NOONE. The facts that she wasn't supposed to be there because of her age and that she did agreed to go onstage at the beginning are irrelevant. Does anybody truly think that she was aware of what would happen?? She had been told she would enter a dance contest, not that she would get be assaulted! Do people go to concerts expecting to get assaulted by the performer? Of course not! Akon has no right to treat people this way, i hope he goes to jail for this.

Leeston

Akon is gross!!!! Really Gwen Really!?

Es

Doesn't he have like 4 wives he should be taking care of instead of dry-humping fans?

Virginia

This wasnt actual sex so forget it. The girl was underage and got her self into the club. This guy obviously had no idea. THe girl who was in there underage should get in trouble as a minor in regard to what the laws are in that country. I have no idea who his man is really. but this entire saga needs to be forgotten.

NiChar

Yes it does matter that she was underage, but you should not touch any woman in that manner in a public forum. What you do at home with a consenting adult is your business.
How would you like it if your mother, girlfriend, wife, sister, aunt, grandmother went out to a concert and had to endure this. Not only was it rude and disrespectful, someone could have been seriously hurt, you could have given that girl a concussion or brain damage. And for your actions Gwen Stephani was hurt, right? Verizon pulled out. So you hurt a fan, another artist, and yourself. Was it worth it? How about a few songs about the love and respect of a good woman. Don't hear tunes like that too much anymore. What about songs about being real, having class, and respecting the female, and each other.

Stop the madness, start the love and respect.

wasup

Get to Know Your Time Zones

34. This guy is a self proclaimed polygamist with 3 wives - honestly. That attack looked PAINFUL - it looked like he thought she was a blowup doll. There is no excuse for this -and he's been caught on tape doing the same thing before (I think it was on Tara reid). Why someone would let their 15 y.o.daughter out of the house dressed like that(did you see the other photos of her-I think from a myspace profile??)is beyond me but a sepearte issue. Akon, you effin moron, whatever age she was, that's not how you treat people! Props to Verizon for pulling the plug on his tour and Gwen, you should drop this psycho from your show asap.
That is why he is so popular. There are many rappers that do the same thing. And honestly you cant control your children. It isn’t the parents fault either. She did a stupid thing and if her parents can’t forgive and forget that is wrong. He didn’t try to rape a 15 year old and after listening to rap music if you are surprised u haven’t listened to the words!!!! 90 percent of it demeans women and calls us all bitches n ho’s don’t matter weather white or black it is what has made him famous

Terri

It is all well and good that he apologized but he wouldnt have if companies such as Verizon dropped him. I love Akon, i have liked his music ever since and I was actually mad that I was not in Trinidad when he performed at Zen. I know everyone is making it seem like the big issue is that he took advantage of a 15 year old. My feelings towards him did not change bc of that though and every person you talk to who was there that nite and any Trinidadian for that matter would be first to say that she probably felt great to be up there with him. Age should be an issue I understand but the real issue here is that Akon came to Trinidad and took advantage of the people on a whole and made everyone look quite foolish. He decied to have his fun at the expense of everyone in Trinidad and just so happened that a 15 year old was singled out. But he claimed to be conducting a competition and the prize being a trip to Africa. The entire audience was fooled and even thought that that particular girl was going to win the trip to Africa, but apparently the trip to Africa was literally through Akon. Due to that is why I lost all liking toward Akon. The only thing that really matters to her age is that if she were a little older she may have faster picked up on the blatant disrespect Akon had towards everyone in Trinidad.

tictani

Have you seen Passa Passa? That is way worse then an Akon concert...if you don't know about it look it up on youtube.....um hello I know If I go to Passa passa and i get on the dance floor I'm bound to get thrown in the air...you know what ya in to get...if that's not what you want then leave....i'm mad that my dude Akon is doing his thing and some lil fast girl gotta mess up what he's doing...he has worked hard and I felt bad when he was doing his whoo hoos for gwen Stephanie....yo let my dude LIVE

Sasha

It's about time he said something. I know he is ashamed, but it's a messed up situation for both.

I really doubt the girl was that shocked because there are still pictures of her sitting on top of Akon simulating "riding" him. He rode her right back. She may have been shocked at how much he bounced all over the stage like a wild animal let loose, but I doubt she was all that shocked that he danced that provacatively with her.

Akon may wanna tone his act down though. It's one thing to pick a girl up and have her bounce on you like with Tara Reid, which is not as bad as this Trinidad episode. She was all over the damn dirty stage.

Either way, the club has a big part in the fact that the girl was underage, not Akon. Akon is at fault for blinding people who have no idea what that girl did prior to his dance moves. People, there is A LOT more that went on. She was sexual and he was sexual right back. The girl new she had no business in this club and had the nerve to go on stage! HEL-LO!! Akon's wild romp was a bit freaky and he probably did cause her to bump her head or something, BUT at least she didn't end up backstage. Who knows what may have went down since she looks much, much older.

TMZ should be ashamed for saying simulated rape instead of simulated sex. Who simulates rapes? Uh, that only happens in movies where actors may need to simulate a rape in a thriller.

WHAT A BIG LESSON LEARNED FOR ALL INVOLVED.

Claps to the poster who mentioned Verizon being down with the tour despite his lyrics in the first place.

sarah

MS ELA. How do you know she was smiling through it all? You could not see her face in the video, do you say that because you heard a woman's voice laughing on the video? That was someone standing close to the camera you heard laughing, not the girl who was onstage with Akon. The girl in question was too busy getting her head and legs slammed against the floor to be anywhere neat smilinh.
And excuse me but what Akon did cannot be compared with carribean wine dancing, you've obviously never been to a carribean dance-hall show. What kind of image to you have of carribean culture?? No, plenty of performers do NOT do that in the Caribbeans, and yes, it WAS simulated rape. See for yourself.

Get to Know Your Time Zones

Sasha because she is underage there is no consent to sex so it would be rape. But I agree the club was at fault and his music leaves little doubt to how he is

Only swim in the Ocean

Should have apologized before Verizon kicked him to the curb; he might be able to salvage his career.

Get to Know Your Time Zones

This will make him bigger Only not ruin him…. The kids that buy his CDs will idolize him more

Sasha

I just hope no one is trying to go the "sue for everything" route as no one individual can be blamed. Everyone should learn from this and make changes in their life accordingly.

It's all just one really eff'd up thing that happened. Imagine if the ENTIRE dance contest was taped. We are only seeing Akon's dance. Imagine if someone had all the footage. Man, if I was her, and my dad was a pastor....................I'd be horrified to think he'd never trust me again. And I'd be horrified if my dad saw the still pictures and video. I mean, parents know kids dance sexy but he can easily see her doing things to win the contest that will blind him forever!!

I hope this goes away real quick for her. Yeah, she'll be popular in her young crowd, but her parents have got to be embarassed, just like Akon's wives are. He really has 3 wives?? I never knew that!