Akon Apologizes -- I Didn't Know She Was Underage

5/9/2007 5:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

AkonTMZ has just received a statement from R&B singer Akon in response to the media firestorm over his onstage simulated sex romp with a 15-year-old during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago:

"First, and most important to me, I want to sincerely apologize for the embarrassment and any pain I've caused to the young woman who joined me on-stage, her family and the Trinidad community for the events at my concert in Port of Spain on April 12th.

It was never my intention to embarrass or take advantage of my fans in any way, especially those under the age of 18. That is why we tried to make sure that the club did not admit anyone under 18 in the audience. Somehow, that standard was not met.

Again, I apologize to those concerned and to all my fans and I pledge to all that we will strive to make sure this type of incident does not happen again."

JOEL

its not his fault that someone f'd up and let underage hookers in the club. where tha hell are her parents anyway

SS

I saw this video, and this underage slut, should not have been there, What the hell kind of parents are they that they let her out dressed like this, in an adult environment, she should not have been there in the first place, and should not be out dressed like that.

Bird

I don't know about this. I guess I'm on the fence for this one. There was no way for him to know how old she was. On the other hand, he should probably tone down his act a little. I have been to countless concerts and I have never seen such a display, nor would it make my experience more enjoyable if I did. He has plenty of time to turn things around so that he can start getting endorsements again. Verizon should have done their research and they would have known what he does in his act and could have addressed it during the contract negotiations. Akon wants to come off as this rough and tumble ex-convict and that is not necessary for him to be a successful International star.

MamaMe

2007 by it was an honest mistake

Some of those lyrics are so stupid I can't even understand what they are trying to say.

Get to Know Your Time Zones

MaMaMe

I copied and pasted them all…. I do keep up on what my kids listen to and weather we like it or not this will make more kids listen to him

Get to Know Your Time Zones

That is her myspace and she says she is 19

lauren

first off, i think it was quite obvious that the girl was by no means putting up a fight. i'm sure she ran back to daddy saying that she was the victim after the video became public, not wanting to look like a slut. obviously she had to have some means to get into the 18+ club that were not legal. its absolutley ridicilous.

Dyanna

Good for him for speaking out - but she didnt looked too bothered by the entire thing while on stage. And what was a 15 year old girl doing in an adult club dressed like an adult anyway??? She is probably behaving older than 15 on a regular basis. What a headache.

anonymous

It was just a bad choice on Akon's part. It doesn't matter the young woman's age (although I agree she certainly had no business being there),it was the act that was being simulated. It was a very vulgar display.

melanie

I do not agree with ppl blaming the girl for what happened because of her age and her for being in a 18+ club but... she shouldn have known better by agreeing to go on stage with Akon knowing that he does that kinda thing in many of his shows. But also... ppl accusing him of simulated rape is laughable. At some point she was riding him! That's simulated rape to you?! Come on, she agreed to it and enjoyed it at some point for her to be on top of him and riding him. On the other hand, Akon's actions were totally inapropriate and should be punished for that in some kinda of way but accuse him of simulating rape is totally wrong.

Terry

Stay in school. Perhaps then we wont have so many fools resorting to unimaginative ignorance for entertainment. Nor would we have way 2 many paying to see it.
18,15 or 50 The display is degrading and shows a lack of real talent.

Peeps

Akorn should put on "cleaner" shows.

Captain America

Lock him up for sexual assault on a minor. He knew what he was doing, run the tape, not the spin from his lawyers.

jEnsmo

What's the difference what age she was? What he did was act like a wild animal, not like a human being. From his "apology" he thinks that the way he acted would have been perfectly normal if she had been over 18. He needs to get a cell with R Kelley and spend the rest of his days making license plates.

Spurs

What is it with these idiotic rappers. Why does everything they sing and do have to be about sex and violence. Are they so naive to think that that is all they can do to sell a album. How retarded is that. The fact that the girl was under-age is irrelevant. What he did was disgusting at any age for any woman. He should be charged with attempted rape or, at the very least. public indecency. What a pig. And blaming the club just shows that he has no remorse for what he did. Maybe he should hang out with Parasite Hilton. They would make a good pair. What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!