Candy to Paris -- Spoiled Brat, Grow Up!

5/13/2007 9:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Candy Spelling (Tori's mom) sent TMZ an open letter to Paris Hilton. Yes, it really is Candy!

Dear Paris,

As someone who has known you for most of your life, I pay special attention to your press coverage. (Apparently, I'm not alone, based on the responses every word about you creates on TMZ.com and elsewhere.)

Paris, I'm very worried about you. The last week has not only been an obvious roller-coaster for you emotionally, but your strategy went from blaming employees and stating silly excuses like, "I don't read," to your new lawyer's tactic to have you sound mature and take some responsibility. In between, the paparazzi continue to follow you shopping and taking self-defense classes (to protect yourself in jail?), and some over-zealous friends staged embarrassing protests (three people?), and wasted taxpayer funds with a petition to pardon you.

People who are rich and famous are not treated like "regular" people, even though you claim to now be just like everyone else. In most situations, your privileged life works to your benefit. You have opportunities, access and resources like few others; and frankly, you can get away with more bad behavior and excuses than most people could even imagine. However, as the real possibility of jail approaches -- whether it's 21 days or 45 or whatever the latest report is -- it's time to get real. It's time to find "a Paris" somewhere between "heiress" and a character on "The Simple Life." I know she's there, and I know she can be a good citizen and maturely face consequences other people would have to face under the same circumstances.

I am sorry you have been sentenced to jail. I can't think of too much that would be worse. But since you let this happen, use the next couple of weeks preparing not only by publicly learning to fight (not a good message to fellow inmates), but by looking around, realizing that you are not as truly entitled as your money implies. You are a young woman who can add more to her community than establishing new definitions for infamy.

Paris at her best: click to launch galleryBest,

Candy Spelling

TJ

Something is definitely fishy here. If she knows Paris all her life as she states in her letter why would she not either privately mail it to her or send her an email? Why would the letter be sent to TMZ for publication for everyone to read? Her comments as a "friend" to Paris Hilton should be private and the mere fact that she would publicly humiliate her like that shows you what a bitch she must be.

choppy 1

Are you KIDDING ME? Worry about your own family Mrs. Spelling. Who goes THAT long not speaking to their own daughter? Happy Mother's day to a real "Mother of the year" !!

minmn

Candy is just trying to get a spot on The View.

Ellen

Whatever TMZ!
THIS IS NOT FROM CANDY AND YOU KNOW IT! If Candy was so concerned about Paris she would send her a letter directly or visit her privately, not send a letter to TMZ to be publicly viewed. Someone with the amount of money Candy has would not have written a letter like this. It's obviously from someone from the general public who has been following the drama. I personally do NOT support Paris but this is crap, and once again, you know it!

regretting I used to call her a slut

This is pathetic...Candy Spelling is pathetic...and probably more so than Paris. This is a gossip web site. If it were print it would be with the other worthy mags like Star and Enquirer at 7-11. Even a moral compass of society like Candy, ( my mother would be proud if anyone brought home a 'Candy', to introduce to her friends), should know better.

I should really thank her however, because itmakes myself and many of my freinds and my own kids not so "rich kid" anymore. Just so people know, not all of our kids want or wanted to be "rich and famous' like apparently Candy wanted for her kids. And that's o.k., but I don't need to count family money to be considered "regular". Both of my children live within our lifestlye and have some friends who either are famous or have a desire to be famous.

For many years it has been know in our family that dating an actor/actress may be okay, however, because of the general character of most in that particular industry, it probably would not be best if they were involved permanantly. Many of our children will do and have an opportunity to do many wonderful things for others and it seems that today's hollywood lifestyle has detered that fact.

Candy, with regard to your own, you probably should make sure your house is clean first.

TW

Why an open letter? Why not a private letter. Is she compensating for her failures as a mother or is she trying to get media attention?

The hypocricy!

Traci C.

What next? A letter from Dina Lohan? Happy Mothers' Day to all the dysfunctional stage Mommies out there!

SuperStarSteve

I think it's great. Maybe someone like Paris needs to hear it from one of "her people". That is, someone from the privileged class in LA who apparently are given special considerations when it comes to obeying the law. Me or you would not be afforded a second or third time in matters such as DUI. I think people need to read between the lines more often and realize that she was pulled over but not ticketed a 2 times AFTER her DUI: January 15th (probably after clubbing in Hollywood), and February 27th (driving without her headlights on--probably after clubbing in Hollywood). Her original DUI paperwork from her September 7th, 2006 clearly states on the back what she needed to do and not do. Unless her lawyers were total incompetents, I find it hard to believe that Paris didn't know what the dealio was---or in this case, CARED TO KNOW. After all, she went on to violate her suspension on 1-15-07 and 2-17-07. If that was a "regular" person the lid would've been put on her driving on 1-15-07. Game over. Not for Paris. Now she's contesting the judges decision, based on her inability to comprehend consequences of bad behavior. I don't wish prison on everyone, but Paris seems to have an enabling mother who encourages Paris to be detached from reality. I don't see it as protective behavior as a mother as she obviously has cultivated the personality by acting inadvertently as an enabler. One thing I know for sure now...she's not driving. She tried to but her attorney must've had to sit her down and tell her that she can't appeal her DUI and be photographed violating the current court order. So yes, it appears the rich really are different in this regard....and that is not fair and equal enforcement of law but that is the way it is.

GossipQueen

Whatever Candy's intentions are, be it publicity or whatever, the point is that she's absolutely right. I think PARIS NEEDS TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF HER OWN ACTIONS. At the end of the day, there's video fo her doing drugs and stuff and she's gotten away with so much that I give her no sympathy for going to jail.

Diana

Well, I would like to say "thank you" to Candy. What a sound, constructive letter. She is right. She is being a mom and obviously Paris has not had one. I do not believe that the human race enjoys watching someone suffer. But, then there is the ridiculous ramblings of Paris Hilton and her excuses... that have caused much of the anger at her. If she could change and use her enormous resources and open doors for good, this could change her course and in the end, give her the real purpose of her life endeavor. Lots of young lives might be changed and touched if Paris would just do exactly what Candy suggests. To Paris; Change it is time to grow-up and become a worthwhile example worthy of the blessings you have been given!!!!

just me

If you ever wanted to see a mother who would sink so low as to steal the birthright of her child, I think Tori's mommie dearest is it. Now that Candy has publicly chastised and advised Paris, I wonder what her advice to Kathy might be? Get the kid cut out of daddy's will?

Heidi

If people would ignore this wholly dysfunctional family they couldn't bathe
in their own fantasies of superiority. "Public school b----" indeed. Paris
has no more idea of real life than she does of right and wrong.
We should remember this is not an 18 year old kid! She is 26 years old!!
It's time she quit spending millions on herself and make an effort to help
others in society. She did NOTHING to earn what she's got. NOTHING.
Still, she's a star in her own mind who should be pardoned because she's
"too pretty for prison". That statement says it all. She is truly a loser.

ORPHANS IN UNITED STATES NEEDS JUST AS MUCH HELP , STARTS AT "HOME ( USA )

Your comments: # 8 ..........I AGREE WITH YOU .......I DON'T BELIEVE CANDY SPELLING
WOULD OF WROTE THIS LETTER , I THINK SOMEONE CLAIMING TO SAYING THIS
IS "CANDY SPELLING .......ITS MUST BE FAKE ......UNLESS CANDY
SPELLING SAID THIS ON "LIVE TV" AND I HEARD THIS THEN I'LL BELIEVE IT
, BUT UNTIL THEN , ITS FAKE ..........

E'town

All I can say is this... I think it is time that she step up to the plate! What kind of role model is she for young girls? As parents we teach (or suppose to) right from wrong, and drinking and driving is definitely wrong. This weekend I watched as a checkpoint in my community was held with parents whose son was killed because of drunk driving. As cars were pulled over they stood with a enlarged picture of their son so those who were pulled over could see it. Reality is this is a very dangerous habit and if kids see someone like Paris who they look up to get away with it then what are we teaching our younger generations?

Maruichan

Um, she's been on a downward spiral for a long time now, lady. The fact that you write this letter TODAY of all days makes one wonder as to what would motivate you otherwise.