Master P's G-Rated Rap

5/15/2007 3:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Master PRapper Master P is taking a stand and pledging to clean up the image and lyrics of hip-hop music by forming a record label "with 100% clean lyrics." What the heck?!

In the wake of Don Imus' on-air racist debacle, everyone from Rev. Al Sharpton to Russell Simmons and even Oprah have called the rap industry to task for its offensive lyrics. In other words, check yo self, before you wreck yo self! Master P and his son Romeo are breaking from the pack and starting Take A Stand Records. The label will feature only those artists who have pledged to be role models, with proceeds going toward scholarship funds for underprivileged kids. Rap with a conscience, yo!

Although Master P admits he was once part of the problem and profited from explicit rap lyrics, he is now ready "to be part of the solution." While he doesn't expect "the entire industry to change overnight," Master P says, "There's too much negativity out there -- enough with the stereotypes. Hip-hop is a movement, and it is time for it to move forward." Word.

Take A Stand's first socially responsible release is due in the fall, and will be a collaboration between P and Romeo called "Hip Hop History."

S

Dang. People are so negative. Karma People. Anyways I applaud Master P for what he's doing. I'm not a fan of his personally and I'm sure I won't buy the CD but I give him kudos for making history.

Ha Ha

I agree with #12. As I was reading the comments, I thought of Will Smith...and there it was. You don't have to be foul-mouthed to show your talent. I also think about comedians like Bill Cosby and Sinbad, the latter who, a few years ago delivered a line my hubby and still use: "Some things got to CHANGE!!!"

Matthew

don't be haters y'all. Master P deserves props for what he's doing.

AmberLynn

I think this is great. I commend them on what they are doing, they are willing to take a stand when most others arent. Its not right for one race to be able to use foul language and slurs and not another. I think this is a great movement and hopefully it will teach our kids about showing respect to others.

SUPER-ficial

#20 - you're joking about Bill Cosby right? I find it interesting that he knew so much about parenting and proper child rearing - what happened w/ his own children?

Just my opinion

Way to be MASTER P!!!!

Old Ninja

Good for him- maybe that way the world will eventually become less hateful

just asking

good for him and his new record company. We have to start somewhere.
Those who have the smart comments what is your solution to the negative, disrespect of women in this society?

lisa

I don't know who Master P is...but I'll buy the CD.

just asking

Where are the Marvin Gay's of today?. He was a poet who sung about society issues and the music made you tap your feet and want to get up and dance.

The good old days

jenna

Its a stand from a has-been. this is his only opportunity to get his name in front of the public. Im sure that if he had half a chance to make money using the raunchy version, he would. If he was all about the integrity, he would just do it....without announcing it to the world.

MacArthur

EXCELLENT idea. I'm all for it.

SUPER-ficial

Mandy that's mean . . I'm upset that Falwell is gone . . who will replace him?

A

Yeah Sebastin thats true. How do you think you got here.

wasup